Mularkey Stuck in the Mud

The Dolphins line sucks, much like the Bills did last year. Still as a coach you must get your players to buy into a concept. If you preach a power run game yet rely on deception in power situations it sends mixed signals. He's basically saying were not good enough at what's supposed to define us, so we must trick you. I don't think Mularkey is as bad as people make him out to be, but this identity crisis is why he had to go.

Perfect example was the Dolphins 2 point conversion attempt. If you don't think your line will get enough push to convert on the ground then you turn to your passing game. You make the decision between the two even if they haven't shown they can do it yet. The reason is they need to believe they can do it, and plays like this is what builds that belief. Instead Mularkey try’s to fix the situations short term by trying to deceive the opponent with a half back option pass. They don't convert, Miami gains no long term confidence, and now Mularkey has basically told his offense they have a better chance with deception then execution.

Not only that, but he picked his RUNNING BACK to throw the pass. I thought Culpepper was supposed to be a good running quarterback - if you're gonna throw, why not roll him out and give him the option?

Mularkey is good at one thing: outsmarting himself. All Bills fans should be happy he's gone -- and doubly happy he's ruining the Fish.

The Dolphins line sucks, much like the Bills did last year. Still as a coach you must get your players to buy into a concept. If you preach a power run game yet rely on deception in power situations it sends mixed signals. He's basically saying were not good enough at what's supposed to define us, so we must trick you. I don't think Mularkey is as bad as people make him out to be, but this identity crisis is why he had to go.

Perfect example was the Dolphins 2 point conversion attempt.  If you don't think your line will get enough push to convert on the ground then you turn to your passing game. You make the decision between the two even if they haven't shown they can do it yet. The reason is they need to believe they can do it, and plays like this is what builds that belief. Instead Mularkey try’s to fix the situations short term by trying to deceive the opponent with a half back option pass. They don't convert, Miami gains no long term confidence, and now Mularkey has basically told his offense they have a better chance with deception then execution.

791813[/snapback]

Actually, I think the fact is that with a subpar OL (I mean they are bad enough that Bennie Anderson was a starter for them before he got hurt and now they are even worse than bad) and with a QB who can no longer has the mobility to play the game he played in MN, the fact is that deception is likely the best way for them to convert.

I think a complaint about MM picking the wrong people (assuming their GM and HC decision-making allowed the OC to actually have other viable options to choose) makes a lot more sense than a complaint he did not invest in an OL that cannot get the job done.

Deception is the only way they are gonna beat even a lowly Houston team. I assuime this is MM's fault in part, but blaming him for not adopting an approach that is likely not to work to build confidence in players who cannot do the job seems odd to me as it makes little sense.

Deception is the only way they are gonna beat even a lowly Houston team.  I assuime this is MM's fault in part, but blaming him for not adopting an approach that is likely not to work to build confidence in players who cannot do the job seems odd to me as it makes little sense.

791823[/snapback]

Say they convert that half back option, what happens next time? And the time after that? All those trick play worked for us in 2005, but failed miserably in 2006. Just like with us he's trying to trick teams, but like 06 teams expect him to try and trick them. You plug away with the fundamentals of the game, and you keep to the philosophy you preached. How can't that be more beneficial to the long term then trying to find a short term solution EVERY time? Even if it doesn't work that's your only chance of ever amounting to anything in this league.

Actually, I think the fact is that with a subpar OL (I mean they are bad enough that Bennie Anderson was a starter for them before he got hurt and now they are even worse than bad) and with a QB who can no longer has the mobility to play the game he played in MN, the fact is that deception is likely the best way for them to convert.

I think a complaint about MM picking the wrong people (assuming their GM and HC decision-making allowed the OC to actually have other viable options to choose) makes a lot more sense than a complaint he did not invest in an OL that cannot get the job done.

Deception is the only way they are gonna beat even a lowly Houston team.  I assuime this is MM's fault in part, but blaming him for not adopting an approach that is likely not to work to build confidence in players who cannot do the job seems odd to me as it makes little sense.

791823[/snapback]

Did your computer lock up or something? Where's the rest of the stream of consciousness?

Mularkey is good at one thing: outsmarting himself.  All Bills fans should be happy he's gone -- and doubly happy he's ruining the Fish.

791822[/snapback]

Don't mean to be a parrot here, but you're absolutely right.

It has to do with the New Wave of the younger football coaches, who think they have to work 25 hours a day and come up with something that no one, no one else in the world, would ever think about. These coaches today are far removed from Bud Grant, who worked 9 to 5 in the office, and whose teams were always the last to report to training camp.

It doesn't take Norman Einstein, as Joe Theismann would say, to run an NFL team. You run, you pass, you play defense and special teams. Sounds pretty simple to me.

In reality it probably isn't, but I hope you get my point.

By the way, if you read TMQ on ESPN.com, he wrote that punting was a waste, and if any NFL team hired a coach who never punted, that team could be very successful.

Mularkey is living his own version of "Groundhog Day". He is on a team that finished fast against bogus opponents, got rid of the starting QB who won those games, optimism abounded... and then the team had a horrible offensive line and fell flat on its face!

Bennie Anderson is the equivalent of the guy that Bill Murray can never save, no matter how hard he tries.

Mularkey is living his own version of "Groundhog Day".  He is on a team that finished fast against bogus opponents, got rid of the starting QB who won those games, optimism abounded... and then the team had a horrible offensive line and fell flat on its face! 

Bennie Anderson is the equivalent of the guy that Bill Murray can never save, no matter how hard he tries.

792338[/snapback]

I hope Malarkey bought a home on the beach. He might be spending a lot of time there next year. Saban, in his second year is an unproven head coach at the helm of a team that is perceived to be underachieving - especially on offense. He might have to make some coaching changes in the off season to save his own hide if the Dolphins continue to be awful.