Clintons' at Bills Game?

VRWC

I sure hope they root for the Vick's. I’d hate to see me root for the same team as the Clinton’s.

Buffalo and WNY is so Democratic it makes me sick. Everyone complains about the economy and jobs and they keep on electing democrats to run the city. Democrats increase teacher and city employee salaries, give ridiculous health benefits, provide lousy services, and keep increasing taxes. All at the expense of the hard working citizens who keep on voting them in power. No wonder no businesses want to come to Buffalo and create jobs.

I love Buffalo and come from a Democratic, union based, blue collar family but at some time you people need to wake up and smell the stale beer at the corner bar and snap out of your illusions.

What has Hillary done for WNY or NYS for that matter? The economy has been moving right along over the past decade for most of the country but has left WNY behind. Why is that? Has Chucky “Cheese” Schumer done anything for WNY other than meet with Ralf to keep the Bills in town? Buffalo will be the only NFL city with no city to support it.

Like I said, I love buffalo but will never move back until things change and the people smarten up. Buffalo must lower taxes, eliminate or take control of the unions, provide corporate incentives, build economic centers for business start-ups, cut overhead costs and big government, tear down rusting and hazardous buildings in down town, build housing and entertainment centers in and around buffalo, develop the water front, make downtown more hip and get young people back into the city and out of the burbs.

So if WNY is in such bad shape isn't the governor of NY more to blame? The REPUBLICAN governor?

I thought not.

There's plenty of blame to go around, including right down to the narrow-minded, short-sighted voters who are so easily manipulated and fooled. Plenty of other cities and areas have returned from the brink - Pittsburgh, Cleveland, etc. What have they had that WNY does not? It's something to think about.

If you love Buffalo so much then go home and work on the problem. People who bail out because it's untenable and then whine about it have no cause to do so. Maybe have the problem is the people who desert the sinking ship.

Maybe have the problem is the people who desert the sinking ship.

790348[/snapback]

The people who get out are the smart ones. I don't blame anyone who doesn't want to waste their entire life trying to turn around a hopeless city that has been completely decimated by generation after generation of "save us, big government" voters. Highest taxes in the country and no jobs left (and, BTW, adios American Axle plant in a few years).

Buffalo may be the only culture in the history of the world that has completely failed to do anything with waterfront property.

And 10 years after the Aud closed down, they finally decided to do something with it. They're going to tear it down to put up a fishing store.

Highest taxes in the country

790365[/snapback]

Out of curiosity, is this something you can cite with facts, or is this just an opinion?

I'm not trying to yank your chain - I am just wondering whether this is a fact that can be supported (I'd love to see it and understand how it may compare to other areas because there are some place with REALLY high taxes), or whether it's just an opinion.

Out of curiosity, is this something you can cite with facts, or is this just an opinion?

I'm not trying to yank your chain - I am just wondering whether this is a fact that can be supported (I'd love to see it and understand how it may compare to other areas because there are some place with REALLY high taxes), or whether it's just an opinion.

790398[/snapback]

If your going to refute, look it up yourself...... :D

If your going to refute, look it up yourself...... :D

790402[/snapback]

I'm not going to refute - I'm simply asking whether the statement is fact or opinion. It looks like it's being offered up as fact and if it is I am wondering where one gets that sort of information. If it's fact it can't be refuted - it is what it is. On the other hand, if it's an opinion I find it interesting that its being presented as if it were a fact.

I sure hope they root for the Vick's.  I’d hate to see me root for the same team as the Clinton’s.

Buffalo and WNY is so Democratic it makes me sick.  Everyone complains about the economy and jobs and they keep on electing democrats to run the city. Democrats increase teacher and city employee salaries, give ridiculous health benefits, provide lousy services, and keep increasing taxes.  All at the expense of the hard working citizens who keep on voting them in power. No wonder no businesses want to come to Buffalo and create jobs.

789997[/snapback]

Well, let's see:

George Pataki is the current Governor of New York State, serving since January 1995, and as of late 2006 is the longest-serving of all current U.S. governors. He is a member of the Republican Party.

Joel Giambra has been Erie County Executive since 2000. Another Republican.

Joe Bruno - He was first elected Temporary President of the New York State Senate in January 1995 and re-elected to that position in 1997, 1999, 2001, 2003 and 2005. As the Temporary President of the Senate, Bruno is Chairman of the Rules Committee and an ex officio member of all Senate standing committees and statutory commissions. Another Republican

These people have a lot more control over the level of taxes we pay than the Mayor of Buffalo.

Also, the only politician in WNY who seems to be doing anything about developing the waterfront is Rep. Brian Higgins, a Democrat.

What has Hillary done for WNY or NYS for that matter?  The economy has been moving right along over the past decade for most of the country but has left WNY behind.  Why is that? Has Chucky “Cheese” Schumer done anything for WNY other than meet with Ralf to keep the Bills in town?  Buffalo will be the only NFL city with no city to support it. 

789997[/snapback]

Last time I checked the Republicans were the majority in the Senate. How many of Clinton's and Schumer's proposals that would help the economy have the Republicans voted for? Give them a Democratic majority and they could help more then just the small percentage prospering from Republican "Cut and Spend" tax policies.

I would have loved to have seen W show some courage and show up at the New Orleans home opener. They could have properly thanked him for his quick response to Katrina.

Avenger is right. The burden of proof is on SnR for making the statement.

790547[/snapback]

Lots of people throw it out as a truism that NY has one of the highest tax burdens.... Certainly, it varies as one categories by net taxes, state taxes local, federal, per capita, as a percentage of earnings (which is probably the fairest way to judge)... etc. It can be as complicated or as easy as you'd like to make it.

But the truism is so b/c it generally is true.

According to the Tax Foundation NY is #2 only to.... drumroll please.... Connecticut. :D

link to a pertinent article

Lots of people throw it out as a truism that NY has one of the highest tax burdens.... Certainly, it varies as one categories by net taxes, state taxes local, federal, per capita, as a percentage of earnings (which is probably the fairest way to judge)... etc. It can be as complicated or as easy as you'd like to make it.

According to the Tax Foundation NY is #2 only to.... drumroll please.... Connecticut. :D

790558[/snapback]

If you're even in the discussion, you've already lost. I'm not going to get all warm and fuzzy because NY is only the second worst state for taxes (as percentage of earnings).

Per capita, we're no. 1. Here is that list. The guy got his information from the Census Bureau's 2004 fiscal data, which is here.

Here is another article that I found helpful.

790558[/snapback]

And Connecticut is nothing more than a suburb of NYC anyway... :o

If you're even in the discussion, you've already lost.  I'm not going to get all warm and fuzzy because NY is only the second worst state for taxes (as percentage of earnings).

Per capita, we're no. 1.  Here is that list.  The guy got his information from the Census Bureau's 2004 fiscal data, which is here.

Here  is another article that I found helpful.

790567[/snapback]

Cool - thanks for the link.

Interesting stuff - I'm going to look into how this is all calculated to get a better understanding of what it says.

Again - not trying to yank any chains, just trying to figure out the basis for the original statement - it certainly looks as if there was some reason to state it as fact in the first place.