I know an honest to god swiftboat vet

Tell you what?  Go ask someone who as a military person was part of the Vietnam memorial dedication ceremony.  Some of vietnam vets were complete !@#$s who were throwing things at us and saying things like we didn't deserve to represent the military since we never served in a war.  Yeah all the people who died in Beirut, Grenada, etc...  Yup their blood doesn't count right. 

I respect a lot of the Vietnam vets but there were more than fair share of bad ones also.

57693[/snapback]

I agree.

The beast just perpetuates itself from era to era.

I put em all on the same footing.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does your first hand knowledge of this "disrespect" extend from soldiers of one conflict to others soldiers from different conflicts.  I guess they would say some wars were just more "real" than others?

I guess Vietnam wasn't a real war since it wasn't the "Big one." :lol:

It all boils down to cranky vets with envy trying to "one up" each other.

57687[/snapback]

First of all, I never said it was "first hand knowledge". Never even implied it. I was pretty !@#$ing clear on where I got it...specifically because 1) I know there's plenty of people on this board who'd know better than I from experience, and 2) I wanted people to be aware of the basis of my post so they could make their own judgement of it's veracity. So if you want to give me stevestojan about it... :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: . I stand by it, until one of the many people who know more about it than I do gives me more information.

Second...I don't think the "My war's better than your war" idea applies necessarily to the specific SVBT vs. Kerry question, which is what I was addressing. But from what I've seen first-hand, from interactions among veterans...the good soldiers respect each other (in the recognition that shrapnel doesn't know the difference between a police action and a "real war"), the bad ones try to one-up each other.

Sounds like the coworker has medal envey.  He only got one medal for getting wounded while Kerry got 3.

57455[/snapback]

he never said whether he got a medal or not. the only reason i know about his wounds from the ak is when he's talked about some of his medical conditions

First of all, I never said it was "first hand knowledge".  Never even implied it.  I was pretty !@#$ing clear on where I got it...specifically because 1) I know there's plenty of people on this board who'd know better than I from experience, and 2) I wanted people to be aware of the basis of my post so they could make their own judgement of it's veracity.  So if you want to give me stevestojan about it...  :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:  :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: .  I stand by it, until one of the many people who know more about it than I do gives me more information. 

Second...I don't think the "My war's better than your war" idea applies necessarily to the specific SVBT vs. Kerry question, which is what I was addressing.  But from what I've seen first-hand, from interactions among veterans...the good soldiers respect each other (in the recognition that shrapnel doesn't know the difference between a police action and a "real war"), the bad ones try to one-up each other.

57758[/snapback]

Sorry, I thought you have a brother that is a Marine? I thought you would have first hand knowledge?

Again, I apologize for assuming this.

my brothers wanted to be marines.  Once the recruiter found out they were heterosexual they were sent to the air force.  :lol:

57849[/snapback]

The recuiter was probably deaf from all the artilary shells when he was in combat. Probably thought they said homosexual. What gets me then is why they didn't go in the Navy.

Sorry, I thought you have a brother that is a Marine?  I thought you would have first hand knowledge?

Again, I apologize for assuming this.

57833[/snapback]

Nope. Brother's father-in-law was at Chosin. Dad was in the reserves. Dad's best friend was a Marine in 'Nam. Uncle was an engineer in 'Nam. (Came back, and designed and built his own 4000 sq. ft. house with his own hands.) Ex-girlfriend was a Marine, her twin sister's (fraternal twins, you perverts) Army intel, best friend in college is a Recon Marine (and nucking futs besides that). So I can understand your confusion. :lol: My brother only designs bio-mechanical environmental systems for manned spacecraft. (And my sister's a lawyer, and I'm...well, I'm me. The three of us have some serious crainal horsepower going on...)

And even if he were a Marine...it would still be second-hand information. First-hand would be if I'd served myself. Thought you were mocking me for it...my bad. I apologize for flying off the handle.

First of all, I never said it was "first hand knowledge".  Never even implied it.  I was pretty !@#$ing clear on where I got it...specifically because 1) I know there's plenty of people on this board who'd know better than I from experience, and 2) I wanted people to be aware of the basis of my post so they could make their own judgement of it's veracity.  So if you want to give me stevestojan about it...  :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:  :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: .  I stand by it, until one of the many people who know more about it than I do gives me more information. 

Second...I don't think the "My war's better than your war" idea applies necessarily to the specific SVBT vs. Kerry question, which is what I was addressing.  But from what I've seen first-hand, from interactions among veterans...the good soldiers respect each other (in the recognition that shrapnel doesn't know the difference between a police action and a "real war"), the bad ones try to one-up each other.

57758[/snapback]

I really hate to correct the master's English, seeing mine really is quite crappy. But above Tom you state "I know there's plenty of people on this board...." My wife and I have recently realized that so many people are using there's as opposed to there're. It's amazing how prevalent it is. My wife now corrects me everytime I use it and it's incredible. And of course there's always my favorite, "where are you at?" :w00t:

Nope.  Brother's father-in-law was at Chosin.  Dad was in the reserves.  Dad's best friend was a Marine in 'Nam.  Uncle was an engineer in 'Nam.  (Came back, and designed and built his own 4000 sq. ft. house with his own hands.)  Ex-girlfriend was a Marine, her twin sister's (fraternal twins, you perverts) Army intel, best friend in college is a Recon Marine (and nucking futs besides that).  So I can understand your confusion.  :w00t:  My brother only designs bio-mechanical environmental systems for manned spacecraft.  (And my sister's a lawyer, and I'm...well, I'm me.  The three of us have some serious crainal horsepower going on...)

And even if he were a Marine...it would still be second-hand information.  First-hand would be if I'd served myself.  Thought you were mocking me for it...my bad.  I apologize for flying off the handle.

57977[/snapback]

Wow... That has got to be a lot of "second hand" information. If anybody would qualify as served though others, I think you do. I would still say you basically know the military as if you served.

What kept you out?

Wow... That has got to be a lot of "second hand" information.  If anybody would qualify as served though others, I think you do.  I would still say you basically know the military as if you served.

What kept you out?

58380[/snapback]

His big bulbous head and the fact that he doesn't get out so his skin is so white he looks like a friggen ghast walking around at night. Easy target. :w00t:

I really hate to correct the master's English, seeing mine really is quite crappy.  But above Tom you state "I know there's plenty of people on this board...."  My wife and I have recently realized that so many people are using there's as opposed to there're.  It's amazing how prevalent it is.  My wife now corrects me everytime I use it and it's incredible.  And of course there's always my favorite, "where are you at?"  :w00t:

58339[/snapback]

"There's" is a perfectly acceptable colloquialism, especially given the awkwardness of "there're". Personally, I consider "there's" a perfectly acceptable contraction of both "there is" and "there are"...and in any sort of formal writing or speaking I won't use a contraction at all, so you'll never see me use "there're".

And what's more, I won't B word when others do it, either. ;)

Wow... That has got to be a lot of "second hand" information.  If anybody would qualify as served though others, I think you do.  I would still say you basically know the military as if you served.

What kept you out?

58380[/snapback]

Spoken like someone who hasn't served. I watch alot of NFL football have met some people who've played. That probably qualifies me to be inducted into the HOF as a player.

What kept you out?

58380[/snapback]

Most of the second-hand info actually comes from books...although I never pass up a chance to talk to a veteran. When I first moved here, I spent three hours in a bar one night talking to a guy who was a seargent in the Battle of the Bulge and a lieutenant in Korea (actually deployed in one of the "speed bump" task forces to slow down the NK advance...and made it back to the Pusan perimeter. Impressive guy.)

VABills' poorly spelled obversation notwithstanding (WTF is a "ghast"?)...biploar disorder. Very good reason, too...among other reasons, biploar disorder is very sensitive to sleep patterns; the amount of sleep deprivation the typical recruit has to endure in boot camp can easily trigger dangerous - even fatal, to themselves or others - mania in a manic-depressive.