offensive line looked good against NE in 1st half

Pete

I watched the first half and some of the third quarter then had to go to work. When I left for work Travis had 56 yards on 12 carries and Drew had all day to throw. That was against a very talented and very deep offensive line coached by Belichick with all sorts of blitzes. I was impressed and saw alot of positives by our oline play. Sounds like once Jonas and Teague were hurt it fell apart but they played great in the first half. Seems like they are starting to gel- maybe the problem is not the oline afterall.<duck> Was I seeing things or didn't the oline look great in the first half?

The OL did look very good in the first half. Drew had time to throw and Henry was running the ball fairly well.

The problem did occur in the second half. Whether that was an adjustment by the Pats defense, or the injuries, or both, I don't know. But if it really was the injuries, then I ask you: isn't that a problem with the OL?

After all, injuries are a part of the business. If we can't plug in the backups and keep Drew upright, that's a problem.

OK seems like most everyone agrees with my assessment. Follow up question- if the line played great for 3 quarters how come our offense only put up 10 points? You cant blame the oline for the lack of points. I would like to hear theorys please

I watched the first half and some of the third quarter then had to go to work.  When I left for work Travis had 56 yards on 12 carries and Drew had all day to throw.  That was against a very talented and very deep offensive line coached by Belichick with all sorts of blitzes.  I was impressed and saw alot of positives by our oline play.  Sounds like once Jonas and Teague were hurt it fell apart but they played great in the first half.  Seems like they are starting to gel- maybe the problem is not the oline afterall.<duck>  Was I seeing things or didn't the oline look great in the first half?

56806[/snapback]

Pete, did you notice how many times they blitzed in the first half?

Yep, zero.

Now, take a look at the second half and how many blitzes we were able to pick up.

Thank you.

Pete, did you notice how many times they blitzed in the first half? 

Yep, zero. 

Now, take a look at the second half and how many blitzes we were able to pick up.

Thank you.

56973[/snapback]

Yeah I noticed that. Why didn't Bellysick blitz in the first half? Did he have THAT little respect for our offense that he assumed he could generate a legit pass rush without one? Or maybe he was hesitant to leave an unknown Evans one on one deep, with Moulds also running the medium-to-deep routes?

Who knows. All I know is that the way to beat our offense is blitz, blitz, and blitz some more...all day until we prove we can stop it or at least counter with some big plays.

The Pats line is one of the best in the whole NFL. Richard Seymour, Vince Wilfork, Ty Warren, and Dana Stubblefield are all first round picks. Marquise Hill is a great DE. Keith Traylor is a very solid NT. Mcginest rushes from the DE and OLB position. Anyways could you please answer my followup question. Our oline played great for 3 quarters. How come the offense only put up 10 points?

Are you asking me or jarthur? Because you should already know my answer to your question  :angry:

57003[/snapback]

I know your answer. The question is more directed towards Drew apologists and those that bash Travis and the oline

The Pats did blitz on a few occasions in the first half. The early success of our WR's in one on one matchups probably kept them out of doing a few more of them.

Re: the question about 10 points-

That's a tough question. I see it as a combination of missed assignments, misreads by both QB and WR, untimely false starts and a phantom hold, dropped passes, a high pass or two, and a questionable call or two.

How come the offense only put up 10 points?

56984[/snapback]

I think the biggest problem with the offense right now is a lack of a legitimate receiving threat outside Eric Moulds. Evans played well yesterday and may develop into that player until Drew shows some confidence in someone else we might not score much then the 10 we are averaging to date. As Moulds is averaging a little over 6 catches per game, Lee Evans is second on the team with a little more then 2 a game which is horrible tells just how bad our passing game is. I mean look at the end of the game stats, it seemed like Drew locked on Moulds and no one else. True Moulds is a guy you want to perform in the clutch but he can't do it alone as we've seen thus far.

if the line played great.....how come our offense only put up 10 points?

I've been asking myself that question since the Jax game as the line has played well in all 3 games.

The only reasonable answer I can come up with is a handful of horribly timed penalties.

Cya

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/...articleid=47280

" Belichick said his players had better ``focus'' after the intermission and that coordinators Romeo Crennel and Charlie Weis deserved credit for making the right adjustments, the most important of which was taking away the deep ball from Bledsoe.

``That's the only way they were going to beat us - with the big play,'' safety Rodney Harrison [news] said. ``We knew they couldn't move the ball down the field on us and win.''

It turns out the Bills couldn't, and the Pats defense forced Bledsoe to hold the ball and look for shorter, more patient options. The result was a typical Bledsoe stat line: 18-of-30, 247 yards, one touchdown, one interception and seven sacks.

So just what was said at the half?

``Stop shooting ourselves in the foot,'' Harrison said.

Added linebacker Mike Vrabel [news]: ``We eliminated mistakes. We eliminated the penalties. We came out and played better football, and that was it.''

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/...articleid=47280

" Belichick said his players had better ``focus'' after the intermission and that coordinators Romeo Crennel and Charlie Weis deserved credit for making the right adjustments, the most important of which was taking away the deep ball from Bledsoe.

``That's the only way they were going to beat us - with the big play,'' safety Rodney Harrison [news] said. ``We knew they couldn't move the ball down the field on us and win.''

It turns out the Bills couldn't, and the Pats defense forced Bledsoe to hold the ball and look for shorter, more patient options. The result was a typical Bledsoe stat line: 18-of-30, 247 yards, one touchdown, one interception and seven sacks.

So just what was said at the half?

``Stop shooting ourselves in the foot,'' Harrison said.

Added linebacker Mike Vrabel [news]: ``We eliminated mistakes. We eliminated the penalties. We came out and played better football, and that was it.''

58250[/snapback]

Bingo! That has always been one of my main criticisms of Drew. The thing Drew does best is throw the deep ball. Take away the bomb and Drew is horrible IMO. He is not accurate with his medium passes, has terrible trouble throwing short passes, he locks in on one receiver, has trouble locating the hot read, cannot throw a screen, cannot scramble, yada yada. Drew throws an excellent deep ball but not much else IMO. Ben Coates made Drew look good because he was 6'5 with long arms and could adjust to Drews missthrows.

OK seems like most everyone agrees with my assessment.  Follow up question- if the line played great for 3 quarters how come our offense only put up 10 points?  You cant blame the oline for the lack of points.  I would like to hear theorys please

56940[/snapback]

Well since I know what you're thinking SPIKED, I will go ahead and discuss your statements.

You said the offensive line played very well in the first half and Drew had all day to throw it. Then you point out that the offense only scored 10 points and wanted to know why. Well that's because all of our points were int he first half. You know, when the line was playing great and giving Drew time to throw. They played horribly in the second half and that's when the offense stunk.