MNF Broadcast is growing on me -

Talonz

I couldn't disagree more! Kornhole was so annoying that I may not watch MNF by choice for the first time in my adult life next week. I thought he actually made Theisman sound intelligent. I high;y doubt Kornhole has ever seen an entire NFL game. He seemed to be more interested in his fantasy stats and talkin BS at every opurtunity.

The quality of that broadcast has gone down dramatically since last year.

I couldn't disagree more!  Kornhole was so annoying that I may not watch MNF by choice for the first time in my adult life next week.  I thought he actually made Theisman sound intelligent.  I high;y doubt Kornhole has ever seen an entire NFL game.  He seemed to be more interested in his fantasy stats and talkin BS at every opurtunity.

778905[/snapback]

Joe...is that you...??

I couldn't disagree more!  Kornhole was so annoying that I may not watch MNF by choice for the first time in my adult life next week.  I thought he actually made Theisman sound intelligent.  I high;y doubt Kornhole has ever seen an entire NFL game.  He seemed to be more interested in his fantasy stats and talkin BS at every opurtunity.

778905[/snapback]

Do you just hate Kornheiser in general, or do you think he just that awful on MNF? Personally, the thing that has stood out about him the most, to me, is how little he says...I think he has been far from obnoxious. I always liked his radio show, so maybe I am biased, but I think he has been pretty inoffensive on the games.

All in all, I am kind of pleased, so far this year, that all of the networks seemed to be toning it down just a little...I think ESPN has done a good job so far, and I have really liked the NBC games (the awful Pink opening song aside).

I have noticed far fewer constant meaningless fantasy stats, and less busy graphics. I am not crazy about the "on field" down and distance graphics that FOX uses (looks like it painted on the grass) or CBS's "red zone" breakdown stats, but all in all, it seems like the emphasis has been back on the games, and less on the announcers. I will confess, I have not watched the FOX pre-game show, because I loathe Joe Buck...

Do you just hate Kornheiser in general, or do you think he just that awful on MNF?  Personally, the thing that has stood out about him the most, to me, is how little he says...I think he has been far from obnoxious.  I always liked his radio show, so maybe I am biased, but I think he has been pretty inoffensive on the games. 

All in all, I am kind of pleased, so far this year, that all of the networks seemed to be toning it down just a little...I think ESPN has done a good job so far, and I have really liked the NBC games (the awful Pink opening song aside). 

I have noticed far fewer constant meaningless fantasy stats, and less busy graphics.  I am not crazy about the "on field" down and distance graphics that FOX uses (looks like it painted on the grass) or CBS's "red zone" breakdown stats, but all in all, it seems like the emphasis has been back on the games, and less on the announcers.  I will confess, I have not watched the FOX pre-game show, because I loathe Joe Buck...

778917[/snapback]

I don't really know the guy at all. He does seem familiar, but I can't say where I've seen or heard him. I agree he doesn't say much, but boy when he did, I just found it completely off base. Like the comment about the Jags are an unknown team and all. They're a playoff contender year in and year out. I don't know, maybe he'll grow on me too; but after one game I say please stop putting uniformed people in the booth that talk about anything but the game in front of them.

Also, I agree the Pink song sucks. And I stopped watching the Fox pregame years ago. The only time I tune in now is when I think they may say something about the Bills.

I don't care for Kornheiser either. I think he's trying too hard to be funny, and I really don't care about his fantasy football team.

Also, I was happy when they announced the earlier start times for MNF games this year, but last night's game didn't even kickoff until about 8:45. They have a half-hour pregame show, so why delay the kickoff?

And I could do without camera shots of the fans in the stands after every single play, and "celebrities" stopping by the announcing booth.

other than that I like it :blush:

/end rant/

Kornheiser has been an adjustment for me , but after his second game I've decided that I really like him in the booth.  I like it when he calls out Theisman :pirate:  I'm just waiting for him to say " what are you, a freaking moron?" :lol:

778888[/snapback]

MNF Broadcast is growing on me -

I'm nearly as disturbed by your statement as I am by your avatar. ;)

I do like Kornheiser from PTI, but I don't think he's hit his stride yet. Hopefully in time his wit will show through. One thing I think we do see though is just how scripted PTI is. He may be the principal writer (don't know whether he is or isn't), but that show is very sharp. He has yet to exhibit the same sharpness on MNF which leads me to believe that PTI isn't as spontaneous as it may appear.

The thing that is irritating is simply that Kornheiser constantly calls out Theesman for his idiocy.

Example: Ben completes a pass, and Joe makes the comment that "he's back." Then Ben starts missing passes, and Joe says he's got to work out the rust that he should have worked out in preseason, to which Kornheiser says "Which is it? Two plays ago you said he was back. Now he's rusty. I'm just trying to figure it out."

The problem is, Theesman is always saying stupid stuff and with Kornheiser always calling him out on it, it gets old really, really fast.

Still, it's football, and I'll be damned if I'm going to stop watching this sport -- a sport I've been waiting six months to watch -- because I have a problem with an announcer.

If Paul McGuire's disgusting mug in Hi-Def won't scare me away, nothing will.

Can't stand the way they make Tony out to be some sort of a football guru. Not so much a problem with him. The ask Tony segment is so stupid it is not as if he has any inside sources. Tony said last night: "If you want scoreless watch soccer or hockey". We all know how many NHL games are scoreless.

I have noticed far fewer constant meaningless fantasy stats, and less busy graphics.  I am not crazy about the "on field" down and distance graphics that FOX uses (looks like it painted on the grass) or CBS's "red zone" breakdown stats, but all in all, it seems like the emphasis has been back on the games, and less on the announcers.  I will confess, I have not watched the FOX pre-game show, because I loathe Joe Buck...

778917[/snapback]

Agreed about the 'toning down' of the broadcasts. CBS got rid of the inch-and-a-half rolling scrolling and mostly just do a modest line at the bottom that goes through the scores.

The SNF has been light years ahead in quality of what I thought it would be.

Haven't watched a game on FOX b/c I've had no reason to, and I don't watch any of the pregame crap as a rule while the weather is still nice outside.

Agreed about the 'toning down' of the broadcasts. CBS got rid of the inch-and-a-half rolling scrolling and mostly just do a modest line at the bottom that goes through the scores.

779190[/snapback]

I love the fact that CBS just shows the scores, and a little football identifying who has the ball. The fantasy nerds took over for a couple of years there. Does anybody really care that Shaun Alexander has 3 rushes for 8 yards and Bobby Engram caught one pass for 7 yards in the 1st quarter of a game you're NOT watching?

I really could care less about any of the announcers for any of the games. They don't excite me or offend me. I'll watch pretty much any game on TV, because I'll usually have a little action on it.

I wish they could find some time to squeeze in some beer and truck commercials. Not nearly enough of those.

I like Kornheiser. I think he adds something to the broadcast other than borderline football analysis. He is bright, funny, and I think goes well with the broadcast. In my opinion it is the best broadcast in at least 5 years.

The thing that is irritating is simply that Kornheiser constantly calls out Theesman for his idiocy.

Example: Ben completes a pass, and Joe makes the comment that "he's back." Then Ben starts missing passes, and Joe says he's got to work out the rust that he should have worked out in preseason, to which Kornheiser says "Which is it? Two plays ago you said he was back. Now he's rusty. I'm just trying to figure it out."

The problem is, Theesman is always saying stupid stuff and with Kornheiser always calling him out on it, it gets old really, really fast.

Still, it's football, and I'll be damned if I'm going to stop watching this sport -- a sport I've been waiting six months to watch -- because I have a problem with an announcer.

If Paul McGuire's disgusting mug in Hi-Def won't scare me away, nothing will.

779173[/snapback]

I liked how Theismann just wouldn't admit that the game was over...right up until the very end. The whole time Kornheiser's like "Is it over yet Joe?" and then Joe would come up with some ridiculous scenario that had the Steelers scoring twice in the span of 14 seconds.

No wonder Joe keeps getting hired. He's a company man through-and-through. "Stay tuned folks! There's gonna be a comeback any second now."

779173[/snapback]

It is that kind of banter that lead so many to call the Cosell/Meredith era the best...maybe it was different then, but those two were always warring with eachother about semantics. Cosell always seem to take it very personally. I remember a 1981 MNF Bills/Dolphins game where Cossell referred to Reggie McKenzie as "Reggie McGruder" twice...Meridith finally corrected him, and Cossell said something to the effect of "oh you're so perfect, you never make any mistakes..." It was kind of strange....I think that is the kind of thing ESPN is going for, with Kornheiser & Theisman...I can take it or leave it. Personally, fro me Tirico is the weakest link, as dull and bland as they come.

im starting to like kornheiser in the booth.

There were so many awkward moments in last night's

broadcast and that kind of stuff just makes me laugh.

I think people can take sports broadcasting too seriously.

I think kornheiser is a pretty good balance. Because Dennis miller

really just got in the way and i think tony blends in a little better.

However,

I wonder if Tony is just spewwing out dumb things even though he knows better .

This is a guy who is been writing about sports for like 600 years. And last night he just kept throwing really dumb things out there that even my girlfriend would know let alone a veteran sportswriter. Sometimes i think he plays dumb just to get theisman riled up.

As for tirico, Im not a fan of his at all despite being a fellow newhouse grad. I think Mike Patrick is much better and more interesting. I never understood why nobody liked him.

in any event, they are all just talking heads at the end of the day and not worth getting riled up over.

It is that kind of banter that lead so many to call the Cosell/Meredith era the best...maybe it was different then, but those two were always warring with eachother about semantics.  Cosell always seem to take it very personally.  I remember a 1981 MNF Bills/Dolphins game where Cossell referred to Reggie McKenzie as "Reggie McGruder" twice...Meridith finally corrected him, and Cossell said something to the effect of "oh you're so perfect, you never make any mistakes..."  It was kind of strange....I think that is the kind of thing ESPN is going for, with Kornheiser & Theisman...I can take it or leave it.  Personally, fro me  Tirico is the weakest link,  as dull and bland as they come.

779507[/snapback]