These rooks are good

Man the speed and poise of these players is just great. Donte Whitner is proving he wasnt a stretch and Ko has made me forget TV already. Couldn't tell how much McCargo and Williams did no big plays but seemed to do the job of pluggin the lanes. One other thing is this team is EXTREMELY well coached kudos to the staff we should be 2-0 but 1-1 is a good feeling.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man the speed and poise of these players is just great.  Donte Whitner is proving he wasnt a stretch and Ko has made me forget TV already.  Couldn't  tell how much McCargo and Williams did no big plays but seemed to do the job of pluggin the lanes.  One other thing is this team is EXTREMELY well coached kudos to the staff we should be 2-0 but 1-1 is a good feeling.

776279[/snapback]

I'm already loving the draft and we still haven't seen big contributions from McCargo, Williams, and (especially) Youboty. Imagine how much better we'll be when those guys get a feel for the league.

Yes, they are. I loved our draft on draft day and it just goes to show you that the "analysts" are getting paid to be bandwagon riders and conclusion jumpers with the misnomer titles of "analyst". They are getting paid BIG MONEY to fill the air with CONSENSUS ASSUMPTIONS. Nobody ever sticks his neck out and says that a team like the Bills will surprise everyone.

Fuggieu, Dierdorf.

Fox sports' draft grade

21. Buffalo: What was weird with Marv Levy's first draft in a decade was that he received value in the third round with Ohio State cornerback Ashton Youboty while maybe reaching in the first round for Youboty's Buckeye teammate Donte Whitner with the 8th overall selection. The other shocker was John McCargo, the third defensive linemen from North Carolina State taken in the first round. South Carolina safety Ko Simpson has a chance as well as Oregon State OLB Keith Ellison. If Levy is right, Dick Jauron's defense has a big chance to improve. Grade: C

USA today

**TWO STARS** An open casting audition — don't call; we'll call you ... maybe

Buffalo Bills

Did the Bills reach too high for S Donte Whitner? In any event, he fills a need. After bypassing the draft's two top-rated defensive tackles, they moved back into Round 1 to address need with DT John McCargo. Fifth-round DT Kyle Williams was a good value.

CBS

Best pick: Fourth-round pick Kyle Williams a hard-nosed, tough player who will find a way to get playing time. He's small for a lineman, but he's a good player.

Worst pick: Trading back into the first round to get defensive tackle John McCargo was a risky move. They must really like him.

Overall grade: C+. The McCargo move is a risky one, but they made up for it later. Williams might actually outplay him down the road.

Sporting News

Buffalo Bills -- B+

I'd like to beat up the Bills for reaching on safety Donte Whitner, but they redeemed themselves with picks such as defensive tackle John McCargo, cornerback Ashton Youboty and defensive tackle Kyle Williams.

MSNBC

D

Buffalo Bills

If you show up you at least get a passing grade but that's the best you can say for the Bills.

They overreached by taking Ohio State safety Donte Whitner at No. 8 overall, when they could have traded down and still gotten him. Then traded for another first-round pick to select North Carolina State defensive tackle John McCargo with the 26th pick. That would have been fine — 30 picks later. Marv Levy looked like what he was Saturday — a guy running his first draft at the age of 80.

SI: Dr. Z

C

BILLS: Bad offense last year, but I guess the defense was worse, so that side of the ball got the first five picks. SS Donte Whitner is a good player, but he projected lower than the eighth overall pick. Ditto DT John McCargo at No. 26. But Buffalo will come out of this draft well fortified in the secondary, with CB Ashton Youboty and FS Ko Simpson.

I remember reading that he had some issues in camp (family) and he also was having a hard time learning.

776380[/snapback]

He'll come around. The family issues may have been on his mind even before his mother died (i.e. her death may have been coming for a while). Moreover, it's rare for rookies to immediately make an impact. We shouldn't be expecting our 3rd round pick rookie CB to be helping the team right away.

I didn't hear anything about learning issues.  It was a hamstring problem that sidelined him for a good portion of training camp and the pre-season, and then the family thing which knocked him out for the rest.

776425[/snapback]

Maybe that was it. Not picking it up since he wasn't on the field.

I'm already loving the draft and we still haven't seen big contributions from McCargo, Williams, and (especially) Youboty.  Imagine how much better we'll be when those guys get a feel for the league.

776306[/snapback]

Shame on me. I forgot to mention Ellison. He's been holding his own, especially today.

Ellison, Whitner, and Simpson, with McCargo and Williams....I'm overwhelmed by these guys so far.