The Bills Need An Offensive Lineman

Buffalo Baumer

Every great line has at least ONE total stud who can open up the much needed hole when situations like 4th and one arise. This has been lacking for quite some time in Buffalo. I would say our line is definitely on the bottom half of the league but getting better.

Are there going to be any Steve Hutchinson type players that will become available at the end of the year? Did you see what that guy did at the goal-line last weekend!!!! I think it is time to grab that one stud and really take the line to the next level. The supporting cast is here now let's help it out.

Hopefully not, but maybe this year we get Joe Thomas in the draft. He is the Wisconsin left tackle that many people had us taking in last years draft until a knee injury kept him in school. 6'8" 313 pounds 4.90 40.

p.s. I say hopefully not because I believe he will be a top 5 pick, not because I don't want him.

Every great line has at least ONE total stud who can open up the much needed hole when situations like 4th and one arise. This has been lacking for quite some time in Buffalo. I would say our line is definitely on the bottom half of the league but getting better.

Are there going to be any Steve Hutchinson type players that will become available at the end of the year? Did you see what that guy did at the goal-line last weekend!!!! I think it is time to grab that one stud and really take the line to the next level. The supporting cast is here now let's help it out.

771432[/snapback]

Bull sh--. Who's the anchor on the NE line? How about Denver? Carolina??

Bad offensive lines like Oakland are built by using high picks on 1 guy. Good lines in the current era are built by having a depth of mid range guys with solid fundamentals who can play more than 1 position.

Bull sh--.  Who's the anchor on the NE line?  How about Denver?  Carolina??

Bad offensive lines like Oakland are built by using high picks on 1 guy.  Good lines in the current era are built by having a depth of mid range guys with solid fundamentals who can play more than 1 position.

772040[/snapback]

I would say Logan Mankins is a stud and maybe you have not seen what happened to the Seahawks line when Hutchinson left!!!! Carolina's line is nothing to write home about.

Bad offensive lines like Oakland are built by using high picks on 1 guy.  Good lines in the current era are built by having a depth of mid range guys with solid fundamentals who can play more than 1 position.

772040[/snapback]

There is a guy named Matt Light who has been protecting the blind side of Tom Brady for a few years now, and it showed when he was injured last season.

Anchors don't necessarily have to be top picks, but can be top free agents who have proved for 2-3 years that they can get the job done. I agree you build your line with mid range guys and solid depth, but you want that one star anchor player on the line who can DOMINATE a game. Almost every good team has one such player....

Patritots: Matt Light

Pittsburgh: Jeff Hardings

Colts: Tarik Glen

Bengals: Levi Jones

Broncos: Tom Nalen

Jax: Khalif Barnes

Carolina: Mike Wahle

Seattle: Walter Jones

Washington: Jon Jansen

NE: Matt Light

Carolina has Jordan Gross and Mike Wahle

Denver: Matt Lepsis:

Other notable offensive lines from recent history:

Seattle: Walter Jones

PIT: Marvel Smith

St. Louis: Orlando Pace

Baltimore: Jonathan Ogden.

The last two have slipped lately, but both won super bowls, by the way.

772040[/snapback]

True that you don't need to use all high picks but the best lines in Bills history and the best lines today still tend to have Pro Bowlers on them.

For the Bills, I am talking about guys like Billy Shaw, Stew Barber, Joe D, Reggie McKenzie, Joe Devlin, Jim Ritcher, Will Wolford and Rueben Brown.

Every now and then you strike gold with a Kent Hull or a House Ballard but many of the top players are first rounders or at least day one picks.