Why chain McGahee to the bench????

Peter

I have no idea why we have last year's first round draft choice chained to the bench. I was under the impression that this year's staff was working on ways to play WM and TH together and cause mismatches.

Instead, we have played TH almost exclusively. TH is a hard runner, but he has made some critical mistakes at crucial times (tripping over himself, missing blocks, not even trying to block, and running the wrong play).

I have no idea whether McGahee will play better than TH. We will never know if he never gets on the field.

If the Bills are going to keep on saying that TH is our horse and we are going to continue to ride him, we may as well trade Willis if we are never going to use him. He is not doing us any good on the bench.

Otherwise, play the guy and let's see how he does on this level.

Everytime McGahee came in the game it was for pass protection. It was no secret and everybody in the stadium knew it. I'd like to see McGahee and Henry in the backfield at the same time. A play action to Henry and a quick pass to McGahee coming out of the backfield. I don't think Willis has gotten the burst back he had at Miami. I didn't see it in the preseason. A lot of people think it might take him 2 years to fully recover from the ACL. :lol:

Guest Evans-Badgers

I believe that the coaching staff is trying to pacify Henry. Belichek uses whatever packages and weapons he has at his disposal. Mularkey should do the same.

I believe that the coaching staff is trying to pacify Henry. Belichek uses whatever packages and weapons he has at his disposal. Mularkey should do the same.

55602[/snapback]

If you're right, then we should see more WM against the Jets. My gut tells me that Mularkey doesn't think McGahee is physically ready yet.

It would be hard for me to believe that WM's running ability is any worse than Pass for the Patriots, yet Belechek used him in a couple series to spell Dillon. He's not worried about Dillon's ego because he is reinforcing that its about the team not one individual. The only reason I can see why MM is not using WM is because of pissing off TH. It can't be because he doesnt think WM is physically ready cause when TH had cramps in the jags game WM almost put the game away (if it wasn't for Villarial suspect holding call.) My point is MM need to forget about hurting a players precious ego and put in the right personnel to win football games. I not saying TH shouldn't start and get the majority of the carries, but you need to mix in WM as a change of pace and as a short yardage back (bigger stronger than TH and has a nose to get the extra yard).

If you're right, then we should see more WM against the Jets.  My gut tells me that Mularkey doesn't think McGahee is physically ready yet.

55640[/snapback]

Does Murlarkey know that WM is on the team? I cannot figure out how Indy can use Rhodes and James, and we cannot figure out how to use WM and TH

55602[/snapback]

The team is 0-3. Trying to make a player feel special will lead to 0-4.

Use all of the tools that you have Mularkey!

Everytime McGahee came in the game it was for pass protection.  It was no secret and everybody in the stadium knew it.  I'd like to see McGahee and Henry in the backfield at the same time.  A play action to Henry and a quick pass to McGahee coming out of the backfield.  I don't think Willis has gotten the burst back he had at Miami. I didn't see it in the preseason.  A lot of people think it might take him 2 years to fully recover from the ACL.  :)

55598[/snapback]

The fact that they think it is for pass protection should play to our favor......because WM can both run and catch the ball........

We are not utilizing his talent correctly I think

His knee was repaired after serious trauma. I'd guess that swelling and pain occurs with strenuous use, that only time will heal.

Have patience. He probably is not able to partipate in more than ten plays or so.

Seems he has good hands and is good at picking up a blitz block or tossing a block for another runner, and has that goal line "gift". Now maybe he won't be a dazzling RB, but if he does the above with reliability, that would be a big plus. Remember Keith Byers?

I also think he is a smart player who seems to understand the situation of the moment on the field.

His knee was repaired after serious trauma. I'd guess that swelling and pain occurs with strenuous use, that only time will heal.

Have patience.  He probably is not able to partipate in more than ten plays or so.

Seems he has good hands and is good at picking up a blitz block or tossing a block for another runner, and has that goal line "gift". Now maybe he won't be a dazzling RB, but if he does the above with reliability, that would be a big plus. Remember Keith Byers?

I also think he is a smart player who seems to understand the situation of the moment on the field.

55993[/snapback]

Not sure if anyone really saw it, but in the second half McGahee picked up a blitzer (Colvin?) and basically flipped him over in the air..I had to go back to Tivo a couple times...it was sweet!

Have patience.  He probably is not able to partipate in more than ten plays or so.

55993[/snapback]

I am perfectly willing to be patient (as a fan) WITHIN LIMITS......

The fact is that Willis Magehee did suffer a major injury....but we did keep him out for the entire year last year and not rush him back......and maybe they want to limit him this year as well so it is good Travis is here.....

BUT

The fact also remains that we used a coveted 1st round pick for him......when we also had other needs....we cannot afford to let him just sit on the bench and play 2 plays a game IF WE ARE LOSING....WM had a strong preseason....then we relegate him to the bench when Travis needs breathers here and there......

I noticed too he was only in for pass protection. Never left the back field. What happened about all this talk using both or a change of pace routine by switching these guys. I wonder if physically Willis is hurting. I thought as preseason wore on his performances got worse.

If he is OK and they are just not using him, then I don't blame the guy if he does want to be traded

Not sure if anyone really saw it, but in the second half McGahee picked up a blitzer (Colvin?) and basically flipped him over in the air..I had to go back to Tivo a couple times...it was sweet!

56004[/snapback]

I was watching McGahee that play to see what he was going to do. I was pleasantly surprised to see him flip that other player. That is something he didn't do when playing at the 'U'. Then I got home and watched it on TV. I wish somebody would make a gif movie of it.

56004[/snapback]

He's a football player - you know what I mean. Without the knee, he would have been a sure-fire top 3 pick and would have delivered big time in Year One.

I feel he wasn't the best chioce for the Bills - linemen were needed - but he's here and if he never regains his college step he can still be a top-notch player for the Bills. He could be a real contributor as an up I-Back.

I was watching McGahee that play to see what he was going to do.  I was pleasantly surprised to see him flip that other player.  That is something he didn't do why playing at the 'U'.  Then I got home and watched it on TV.  I wish somebody would make a gif movie of it.

56032[/snapback]

Hang on a second...

Yes, McGahee made a bad-a$$ block and completely blew up the oncoming pass-rusher. Yes, after the block he stood over the fallen Patsie like a hunter surveying his kill. BUT.........

HE BLOCKED THE WRONG GUY!!!!!!!

Henry and McGahee were both in pass protection, w/ Henry to DB's right and McGahee to the left. Henry slid to the right to pick up the outsider pass-rusher. McGahee, inexplicably, also slid to his right and *waited for* rushers to come up the middle or from his right. Problem is, there was an outside rush coming from his left, which McGahee never even saw because he was looking to the right. It was the outside rusher he missed that wound up sacking Bledsoe. Would the guy up the middle, whom McGahee blocked, have had a shot at the sack? Yes. But his assignment should be to pick up any unimpeded rushers on his side of the line.

56004[/snapback]

WM can definitely block. He was a good blocker at UM as well. I think that he has shown tremendous maturity for picking up the blitz.

Hang on a second...

Yes, McGahee made a bad-a$$ block and completely blew up the oncoming pass-rusher.  Yes, after the block he stood over the fallen Patsie like a hunter surveying his kill.  BUT.........

HE BLOCKED THE WRONG GUY!!!!!!!

Henry and McGahee were both in pass protection, w/ Henry to DB's right and McGahee to the left.  Henry slid to the right to pick up the outsider pass-rusher.  McGahee, inexplicably, also slid to his right and *waited for* rushers to come up the middle or from his right.  Problem is, there was an outside rush coming from his left, which McGahee never even saw because he was looking to the right.  It was the outside rusher he missed that wound up sacking Bledsoe.  Would the guy up the middle, whom McGahee blocked, have had a shot at the sack?  Yes.  But his assignment should be to pick up any unimpeded rushers on his side of the line.

56083[/snapback]

Without reviewing the tape of the game, I think that it was a close call. Running backs and linemen are coached that inside rushers have a higher priority than outside rushers.

I am perfectly willing to be patient (as a fan) WITHIN LIMITS......

The fact is that Willis Magehee did suffer a major injury....but we did keep him out for the entire year last year and not rush him back......and maybe they want to limit him this year as well so it is good Travis is here.....

BUT

The fact also remains that we used a coveted 1st round pick for him......when we also had other needs....we cannot afford to let him just sit on the bench and play 2 plays a game IF WE ARE LOSING....WM had a strong preseason....then we relegate him to the bench when Travis needs breathers here and there......

56010[/snapback]

But what if he is ruined for the future? Obviously it was a gamble to draft him. And that's water over the dam now.

Again, if he ends up being just a fine blocker, receiver, and goal-line champ, is that so bad?

Keep your immediatate-gratification demands confined to your swimming pool, John! :)