cinnamon cake, rolls...

olivier in france

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He Guys ,

I've checked our "recipes"  and nobody has put a cinnamon cake, roll or any dessert with cinnamon recipe. Does anyone have a good one? i love cinnamon but have no good recipe...

770403[/snapback]

I was just going to say that anyone putting up a recipe is asking for ridicule. Corp000brain proved my point already. :D

I've checked our "recipes" and nobody has put a cinnamon cake, roll or any dessert with cinnamon recipe. Does anyone have a good one? i love cinnamon but have no good recipe...

I have a recipe for a scrumptous "tea cake" with cinnamon and sugar on top. It's in my Australian cook book. If you PM me with a reminder, I look for it at home and send it to you.

sorry its not in Metric-

6.5 tablespoons (3.25 oz) granulated sugar

1 teaspoon (.25 oz) salt

5.5 tablespoons (2.75 oz) shortening or unsalted butter at room temperature

1 large egg slightly beaten

1 teaspoon lemon zest

3.5 cups (16 oz) unbleached or all purpose flour

2 teaspoons (.22 ounce) instant yeast

1.25 cups milk or buttermilk at room temperature

1 cup water

.5 cup sinamon sugar(6.5 tablespoons sugar with 1.5 tablespoons cinnamon)

walnuts or pecans

White Fondant Glaze-recipe follows

1.Cream together sugar, salt, shortening on medium speed wit paddle attachment(or use large metal spon and mixing bowl). Whip in egg and lemon zest until smooth. Then add flour, yeast and milk. Mix on low speed until dough forms a ball(or mix by hand). Switch to dough hook and increase speed to medium for aproximately 10 minutes(or need for 15 minutes) until dough is silky and supple but not sticky. Add water or flour if neccesary. Dough should pass window pane test and register between 77-81 degrees F. Lightly oil bowl and transfer dough to bowl, rolling around to coat with oil. Cover with plastic wrap

2.Ferment at room temperature for 2 hours until dough doubles in size

3. Mist counter with spray oil and shape buns. To shape roll with rolling bin(on lightly dusted with flour counter). Roll into rectangle abour 2/3 inch thick and 14 inches by 12 inches. Dont roll dough too thin- it would be too chewy then. Sprinkly the cinamon sugar mixture over the top and roll into cigar shaped log. With seam side down cut the dough into 8-12 even pieces

4. Line 1 or more sheet pans with parchment paper. Place buns 1/2 inch apart

5. Proof at room temperture for 75-90 minutes(until pieces have double and grown into each other. You can also retard the shaped buns in the fridge for up to 2 days and pull pans out 3-4 hours before baking to proof

6. Preheat oven to 350 F. Bake on middle rack for 20-30 minutes

7.Cool buns in the pan for 10 minutes then streak with white fondant while buns are warm but not hot. Wait 20 minutes before serving

White Fondant Glaze

sift 4 cups powdered sugar into bowl

add 1 teaspoon lemon or orange extract

and slowly add up to 1/2 cup warm milk little by little until sugar is disolved and only as much is need to make the mixture a thick, smooth paste

Cooks note: you could also use vanilla extract or rum extract

When the buns have cooled and are still warm streak the glaze over them by dipping the tines of a fork or whisk into the glaze and waving the fork/whisk over the top of the buns

Its time consuming but worth it. Besides French cooks take no shortcuts :lol: . Enjoy, let me know how you like it if you make it. If you need any other recipes dont hesitate to ask me. Saunte!

Cinnabon Recipe:

Rolls:

1¼ oz. pckg. Yeast

1 c. warm milk

½ c. granulated sugar

1/3 c. melted butter (do not substitute margarine)

1 t. salt

2 eggs

4 c. all-purpose flour

Filling:

1 c. packed brown sugar

2½ TBS. cinnamon

1/3 c. butter

Icing:

7 TBS. butter, softened

1½ c. confectioners sugar

¼ c. (2 oz.) cream cheese

½ t. real vanilla extract (or almond extract)

1/8 t. salt

Rolls: Oven to 400° F.

(1) Disolve yeast in milk.

(2) Mix in sugar, butter, salt, eggs, flour. Mix well.

(3) Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Knead into a large ball. Cover; let rise 1 hour.

(4) Roll dough into a 21" x 16" wide rectangle. With the butter softened, I just use my fingers to spread it generously over the dough. Load 'er up with the filling (see below).

(5) Roll from long-side to short-side. Pinch the ends.

(6) Using very sharp knife, cut into 1 inch wide rolls, making sixteen. If want fewer, bigger rolls, cut them wider.

(6) Grease (butter) your preferred baking pan - about an 11"x 15" pan is fine. Then place rolls in pan and into oven. Let the rolls rise for 30 minutes.

(8) Bake until the rolls are slightly browned and not doughy. This will vary according to your oven. Just don't overbake.

(9) When done, take 'em out and cover them in the delicious icing.

Filling:

While dough is rising, prepare the filling and the icing.

(1)Soften butter so that it is spreadable.

(2) After dough has been rolled out to the gigantic rectangle, spread the softened butter all over.

(3) Sprinkle brown sugar over entire buttered rectangle. Use more if you like more.

(4) Sprinkle cinnamon over the rectangle.

Icing:

Cream it all together with an electric mixer (or by hand if you just want to exhaust yourself for some reason). Spread on hot rolls.