cinnamon cake, rolls...

olivier in france

I've actually been looking at them for awhile -- but they can be pretty expensive, and I wasn't sure how well they really work (although I haven't read anything negative about them). I was looking at these two, but do I really want to spend that much for something that cooks rice....?

http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-NS-ZCC10-C...id=2VP3LPK6RMCN

http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-NS-TGC10-C...id=2VP3LPK6RMCN

Try an inexpensive one and see how it works out.

The one I have takes a cup of water and a cup of rice in an aluminum bowl. Plug it in, and it heats and water evaporates out of a hole in the glass lid. underneath the bowl is a disc/switch arrangement with a spring providing upward pressure. As the weight in the bowl diminishes via the evaporation, the bowl is pushed upward so that the switch shuts off the heat.

An indicator light goes out - then you let it set 15 minutes.

The brand was Salton. It was, best as I recall, something like 25 bucks. It does a good job.

Haven't used it in quite a while, though. I've been using the "Success" brand boil-in-a-bag brown rice.

Simple as can be: drop it in the pan turn the heat on. When it starts to boil, let it continue for nine minutes. Pick it up with tongs and hold it against the side of the pan to allow for drainage. Perfect rice.

The box says you can let it sit for up to 1/2 hour in the water after removed from the heat. They are right.

http://www.successrice.com/en-us/products/40/BrownRice.aspx

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good looking on that boil-in-a-bag thing, Cincy! I'm definitely going to check those out. I make sushi a lot and by far the most annoying and time consuming part is cooking the damn rice. If these rice bags don't work out, I definitely need to get a cooker.

Also, I don't mean to hijack this away from the cinnamon cakes, but since people are talking about foods here...there is a recipe from Men's Health Magazine (April) that I just finished making for the 3rd time. I think it's awesome and MH recipes are always healthy too. So if anyone likes lamb, definitely give this a shot:

Grilled Lamb Gyros

- 2 lb. butterflied leg of lamb

- 6 whole wheat pitas

- 16 oz plain yogurt

- 2 tomatoes (thinly sliced)

- 4 cloves minced garlic

- 1 red onion (thinly sliced)

- 1.5 tsp cumin

- 1 tsp salt

- 1 tsp pepper

- hot sauce

- hummus

1. Make a marinade out of the yogurt, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper. Marinate the lamb in it in a covered container for at least 2 hours.

2. Scrape the excess marinade off the lamb and grill on medium heat. I think about 15 minutes on each side definitely gets the job done. But you can cook it to your liking. When it is cool enough, slice it into thin, bite-sized pieces.

3. Warm the pitas on the grill for 1 minutes or so (or you can wrap them in tin foil and put them in the oven on 350 for 5 minutes).

4. Slice open the pita (like an English muffin) and spread hummus on one side. Add a few slices of tomato and onion and a few chunks of lamb. Add hot sauce to taste (And I'm not trying to pimp out my precious Sriracha again, but the recipe did call it out by name and it is a delicious addition. But I'm sure any hot sauce would be fine).

It makes a great pita sandwich. I'm in love.

Good looking on that boil-in-a-bag thing, Cincy! I'm definitely going to check those out. I make sushi a lot and by far the most annoying and time consuming part is cooking the damn rice. If these rice bags don't work out, I definitely need to get a cooker.

There are a lot of clever folks in the packaged food biz. Many duds also, for sure.

Give Oscar Meyer Fast Franks! a try. Certainly not a Ted's char-broiled, but if you have the urge for a quick hot dog, they easily surpass something like boiled stadium fare.

You have to explicitly follow the directions. Absolutely amazing that the bun survives intact and soft. Nice job by Oscar Inc.

They run about 3 bucks for a package of three. Like any hot dog, they are nutritional bombs. I seldom cook up much of the ready-to-eat stuff, but these are well worth giving a shot.

Also, give Bob Evans' Original Mashed Potatoes a try. They are deep in the "sinfully good" category. :thumbsup:

Also, I don't mean to hijack this away from the cinnamon cakes, but since people are talking about foods here...there is a recipe from Men's Health Magazine (April) that I just finished making for the 3rd time. I think it's awesome and MH recipes are always healthy too. So if anyone likes lamb, definitely give this a shot:

Grilled Lamb Gyros

- 2 lb. butterflied leg of lamb

- 6 whole wheat pitas

- 16 oz plain yogurt

- 2 tomatoes (thinly sliced)

- 4 cloves minced garlic

- 1 red onion (thinly sliced)

- 1.5 tsp cumin

- 1 tsp salt

- 1 tsp pepper

- hot sauce

- hummus

1. Make a marinade out of the yogurt, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper. Marinate the lamb in it in a covered container for at least 2 hours.

2. Scrape the excess marinade off the lamb and grill on medium heat. I think about 15 minutes on each side definitely gets the job done. But you can cook it to your liking. When it is cool enough, slice it into thin, bite-sized pieces.

3. Warm the pitas on the grill for 1 minutes or so (or you can wrap them in tin foil and put them in the oven on 350 for 5 minutes).

4. Slice open the pita (like an English muffin) and spread hummus on one side. Add a few slices of tomato and onion and a few chunks of lamb. Add hot sauce to taste (And I'm not trying to pimp out my precious Sriracha again, but the recipe did call it out by name and it is a delicious addition. But I'm sure any hot sauce would be fine).

It makes a great pita sandwich. I'm in love.

:thumbsup: I love gyros and will give this a try, thanks!