cinnamon cake, rolls...

olivier in france

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which would be fine...if I need to crack walnuts.  But for something you can spread cinnamon frosting on, they need to be softer...still firm, of course, but reasonably pliable at the same time...

...what were we talking about again?  :lol:

771262[/snapback]

:lol::lol:

Australian Tea Cake

Ingredients

1/2 cup butter, 1 cup sugar, 2 eggs, 1 1/2 cups flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, 1/8 teaspoon lemon or orange oil (optional), sugar and cinnamon mixture.

Method: Cream butter and sugar, beating till light and soft, add unbeaten eggs one at a time, beating well each time.

Sift flour, baking powder, and salt, and add alternately with the milk and vanilla (& lemon oil), beat well and turn into a shallow, greased 8'x8' square tin, bake 30 minutes in hot oven (375oF), while still hot dust well with sugar/cinnamon mixture, serve while warm.

Enjoy Olivier!

Thanks! The orange oil addition sounds delicious.

I've copied and printed the recipe.

Let me know how it comes out. I've actually never made it. But my mother used to make it often for "afternoon tea" - in this country known as an after school snack. "Mum" always cooked from scratch and this was one of my favorites.

Let me know how it comes out.  I've actually never made it.  But my mother used to make it often for "afternoon tea" - in this country known as an after school snack. "Mum" always cooked from scratch and this was one of my favorites.

771645[/snapback]

We have in our larder what the Brits call "caster sugar", the grind between granulated and confectioner's. This recipe seems custom made for using that as the topping in combination with the cinnamon.

We shall try it - it's a rich recipe for our hardened arteries, but can't get into a shell, ya know!

I'll report back! <_<

• 2 years later...
He Guys ,

I've checked our "recipes" and nobody has put a cinnamon cake, roll or any dessert with cinnamon recipe. Does anyone have a good one? i love cinnamon but have no good recipe...

Nothing like the old "Betty Crocker German Streusel Swirl cake" Mmmmmm they were amazing.

Well, since this was resurrected -- the archived cookbook is located here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20060909115847/...e.com/cookbook/

re: Aussiew's Australian Tea Cake.

I've made it several times. It's excellent - just remember to use Caster (bar) sugar for the top cinnamon/sugar dusting.

Caster sugar is an intermediate grind size between regular granulated sugar and confectioner's sugar.

I thought the same. It's Fez...he earns his living extracting, hunting for data about everything and everybody. Bad Fez.

:doh:

I'm not the one who brought the thread back..... Look back at the timestamps! :doh:

But you have said that you can't/won't/don't cook.

Right...or am I being harsh and snotty? :flirt:

It's mostly "can't" cook, although I've gotten a bit better -- I can cook Pad Thai, Thai Fried Rice, and Thom Yum soup pretty well, in addition to simple things like grilling a hamburger or making some eggs. :flirt:

It's mostly "can't" cook, although I've gotten a bit better -- I can cook Pad Thai, Thai Fried Rice, and Thom Yum soup pretty well, in addition to simple things like grilling a hamburger or making some eggs. :thumbsup:

Not bad at all. If you like to make rice dishes, I recommend getting a rice cooker. Search around for features.

Not bad at all. If you like to make rice dishes, I recommend getting a rice cooker. Search around for features.

I've actually been looking at them for awhile -- but they can be pretty expensive, and I wasn't sure how well they really work (although I haven't read anything negative about them). I was looking at these two, but do I really want to spend that much for something that cooks rice....?

http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-NS-ZCC10-C...id=2VP3LPK6RMCN

http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-NS-TGC10-C...id=2VP3LPK6RMCN