Anyone own a Dodge Avenger?

ajzepp

I need a "stop-gap" car to get me through until the first part of next year....I found a '99 Avenger ES with 87k miles on it for $2200. Has a rebuilt auto transmission, new tires, seems to be in good working order....I looked on Edmunds.com and this particular model seems to have decent customer feedback, but I've never owned a Dodge and know nothign about this car.

I need some feedback quick...can anyone help?

I need a "stop-gap" car to get me through until the first part of next year....I found a '99 Avenger ES with 87k miles on it for $2200. Has a rebuilt auto transmission, new tires, seems to be in good working order....I looked on Edmunds.com and this particular model seems to have decent customer feedback, but I've never owned a Dodge and know nothign about this car.

I need some feedback quick...can anyone help?

770093[/snapback]

I had a 96 Avenger ES. I got about 133 K out of it. It was a good performing car but it was cheaply made. Nothing major ever really went wrong but knobs, switches, weather stripping, latches etc kept breaking off. Paint was easily scratched. Windshield cracked whenever any little thing hit it.

I had a 96 Avenger ES.  I got about 133 K out of it.  It was a good performing car but it was cheaply made.  Nothing major ever really went wrong but knobs, switches, weather stripping, latches etc kept breaking off.  Paint was easily scratched.  Windshield cracked whenever any little thing hit it.

770242[/snapback]

Sounds like some of the Dodge minivans my parents have owned over the years. :angry:

I had a 96 Avenger ES.  I got about 133 K out of it.  It was a good performing car but it was cheaply made.  Nothing major ever really went wrong but knobs, switches, weather stripping, latches etc kept breaking off.  Paint was easily scratched.  Windshield cracked whenever any little thing hit it.

770242[/snapback]

That sounds pretty consistent with what's going on with this car....the guy said it's got some dings and needs some small touch ups here and there. I can live with that as long as it gets me from point A to point B, and until I can get a new car toward the end of the year.

Thanks for the feedback!

they arent bad little cars..basically they are an eclipse with a dodge body.  As long as it rolls and does what you need it to do, 2grand isnt horrid for it

770300[/snapback]

Yeah, I'm not looking to pick up chicks in it....just get me to work and back for a while until I can get what I want.

Actually it was a cousin to the Sebring.

770309[/snapback]

The 2-doors and 4-doors were of different body construction.

The 4-door Chrysler Sebring = Dodge Stratus = Plymouth Breeze.

The 2-door Dodge Avenger = Mitsubishi Eclipse = Chrysler Sebring Coupe

Of those constructions, only the 4 door Sebring and Stratus remain in production; the recent Eclipse is a new design.

It's better than a Honda FIT.

770915[/snapback]

My official view on that is that if it's good enough for Ed, it's good enough for me :lol:

Yeah, I'm not looking to pick up chicks in it....just get me to work and back for a while until I can get what I want.

770302[/snapback]

When you get your new car, did you take a look at the Mazda 3 sport? I test drove one and it has a Euro feel to it.

When you get your new car, did you take a look at the Mazda 3 sport?  I test drove one and it has a Euro feel to it.

771233[/snapback]

Yep, that's actually at the top of my short list. I had a Protege for five years and loved it. It handled great, was reliable, quick, roomy, and looked really sharp in black with a rear spoiler. I miss that car :lol: My only problem witht he current Mazda's is that they they shifted production to the US after the '00 model. The 626 used to be one of the most reliable cars on the road until they shifted production here in the late 90's. Still a good car, but not up to par with a Honda or Toyota.

I'm also considering the new Scion Tc since I heard it's a division of Toyota, the Civic si, and a used Camry. I'm at least going to test drive the Corolla since Fezmid told me they have a sports version like the civic, but I have some sort of stigma about Corollas.....to me they just scream "cheap bastard", but that's just me. I've been reading a lot about the new Scion, and a guy I worked with just bought the Scion B and thinks it's a great car.

Yep, that's actually at the top of my short list. I had a Protege for five years and loved it. It handled great, was reliable, quick, roomy, and looked really sharp in black with a rear spoiler. I miss that car :lol:  My only problem witht he current Mazda's is that they they shifted production to the US after the '00 model. The 626 used to be one of the most reliable cars on the road until they shifted production here in the late 90's. Still a good car, but not up to par with a Honda or Toyota.

I'm also considering the new Scion Tc since I heard it's a division of Toyota, the Civic si, and a used Camry. I'm at least going to test drive the Corolla since Fezmid told me they have a sports version like the civic, but I have some sort of stigma about Corollas.....to me they just scream "cheap bastard", but that's just me. I've been reading a lot about the new Scion, and a guy I worked with just bought the Scion B and thinks it's a great car.

771249[/snapback]

The seller at Mazda told me that all Mazda's are imported from Japan. Well then again, he is a salesman

The seller at Mazda told me that all Mazda's are imported from Japan. Well then again, he  is a salesman

771302[/snapback]

I believe all but the Mazda 6 are. The Mazda 6 is made, although it may be imported from Japan as well, in the Auto Alliance International Factory in Michigan. This is the same factory that makes the Mustang--see Ford's controlling interest in Mazda.

The Mazda 3 is based of the European Ford Focus' platform which is considered of a higher quality than the Focus made here. I believe the 3 is made in Japan.

I believe all but the Mazda 6 are. The Mazda 6 is made, although it may be imported from Japan as well, in the Auto Alliance International Factory in Michigan. This is the same factory that makes the Mustang--see Ford's controlling interest in Mazda.

The Mazda 3 is based of the European Ford Focus' platform which is considered of a higher quality than the Focus made here. I believe the 3 is made in Japan.

771306[/snapback]

Well the car is not for me, it's for my sister. I went car shopping with her because she is clueless about cars. She was stuck on the civic but one test drive with the Mazda and she now wants to buy it.

Sorry for hijacking AJ :lol:

Well the car is not for me, it's for my sister.  I went car shopping with her because she is clueless about cars.  She was stuck on the civic but one test drive with the Mazda and she now wants to buy it.

Sorry for hijacking AJ  :lol:

771310[/snapback]

I rented the Mazda 6 this summer. I really liked. The back seat is small compared to a Camry or Accord, but it is a driver's car. It's a blast to drive, I must say. It handled extremely well and had good HP for its size.

I rented the Mazda 6 this summer. I really liked. The back seat is small compared to a Camry or Accord, but it is a driver's car. It's a blast to drive, I must say. It handled extremely well and had good HP for its size.

771311[/snapback]

A tad expensive I find. Like the Accord. Good cars but I'd fork over a bit more and get a sports car.

Well the car is not for me, it's for my sister.  I went car shopping with her because she is clueless about cars.  She was stuck on the civic but one test drive with the Mazda and she now wants to buy it.

Sorry for hijacking AJ  :lol:

771310[/snapback]

lol, np....It's funny about the salesguys at Mazda, cause when I bought my Protege ES in 2000, I told them I wanted it in black and with NO MILES on the thing. By no miles I mean I don't really want it driven in from half way across the country with 500 miles on it or whatever. I'm sure some of you may agree with that, others may not. It's just something I wanted cause it was my first "new" car and I wanted it the way I wanted it. Period.

Anyway, they get one in for me and I go over to check it out. I get inside, looks great, feels great, but then I look at the odometer and it says "612". I was pretty pissed cause I thought I made myself pretty clear, but I liked the car so much it wasn't going to be a deal breaker. I go back in to look at the papers and they send in the finance guy....now this guy is a TOTAL schmoozer, but he was also apparently one of the top guys in the company brought in to this dealership to get it turned around. He looks me right in the eye and says, "you know, AJ, I know that you're concerned about how the car was driven for the first 600 miles, but what you may not know is that the factory runs every engine for 500 miles to break it in." Now at first I was like, "wow, I ddn't know that....okay, I feel better." That lasted about five minutes, cause I realized who I was talking to. I asked him if he knew the main number for Mazda and he gave it to me. I dialed them up right in front of him, asked for someone who could give me a definitive answer about the manufacturing process with regard to the engine, and a few minutes later some guy came on the line. I put him on speaker phone and specifically asked him if they run in the engines for 500 miles before they leave the factory. He goes something like, "no, we don't do anything like that. I dn't know who told you that, but when the cars leave here they have zero miles on those engines." :P:D:doh:

This finance guy was PISSED and red as hell....he made up some bull sh-- story about how joe blow told him otherwise,and blah, blah, blah.....but whatever, I still bought the car. I just don't like being "sold" and I sure as hell don't like being lied to when I'm making a large purchase.

lol, np....It's funny about the salesguys at Mazda, cause when I bought my Protege ES in 2000, I told them I wanted it in black and with NO MILES on the thing. By no miles I mean I don't really want it driven in from half way across the country with 500 miles on it or whatever. I'm sure some of you may agree with that, others may not. It's just something I wanted cause it was my first "new" car and I wanted it the way I wanted it. Period.

Anyway, they get one in for me and I go over to check it out. I get inside, looks great, feels great, but then I look at the odometer and it says "612". I was pretty pissed cause I thought I made myself pretty clear, but I liked the car so much it wasn't going to be a deal breaker. I go back in to look at the papers and they send in the finance guy....now this guy is a TOTAL schmoozer, but he was also apparently one of the top guys in the company brought in to this dealership to get it turned around. He looks me right in the eye and says, "you know, AJ, I know that you're concerned about how the car was driven for the first 600 miles, but what you may not know is that the factory runs every engine for 500 miles to break it in." Now at first I was like, "wow, I ddn't know that....okay, I feel better." That lasted about five minutes, cause I realized who I was talking to. I asked him if he knew the main number for Mazda and he gave it to me. I dialed them up right in front of him, asked for someone who could give me a definitive answer about the manufacturing process with regard to the engine, and a few minutes later some guy came on the line. I put him on speaker phone and specifically asked him if they run in the engines for 500 miles before they leave the factory. He goes something like, "no, we don't do anything like that. I dn't know who told you that, but when the cars leave here they have zero miles on those engines."  :lol:  :P  :D

This finance guy was PISSED and red as hell....he made up some bull sh-- story about how joe blow told him otherwise,and blah, blah, blah.....but whatever, I still bought the car. I just don't like being "sold" and I sure as hell don't like being lied to when I'm making a large purchase.

772174[/snapback]

Either you got sold a demo, which i doubt since demo's usually have at least a few thousand clicks on them. Probably, you got the test drive model. Unless the dude was killing it for the entire time, your car will be fine.

Either you got sold a demo, which i doubt since demo's usually have at least a few thousand clicks on them.  Probably, you got the test drive model.  Unless the dude was killing it for the entire time, your car will be fine.

772181[/snapback]

Supposedly it was a dealer trade where they drove one of their stock to a dealership in western tennessee and then drove this one back. I've always been taught that you don't want to drive the car at a constant speed (i.e. you want to vary it as much as possible) for the first 500. Now I don't know how important that is or isn't, but to me it was the same thing as discussing whether a rear spoiler was necessary or not....didn't really matter, cause that's how I wanted it. I'd rather he just tell me beforehand what he was doing instead of just assuming I'd take the car anyway.

Supposedly it was a dealer trade where they drove one of their stock to a dealership in western tennessee and then drove this one back. I've always been taught that you don't want to drive the car at a constant speed (i.e. you want to vary it as much as possible) for the first 500. Now I don't know how important that is or isn't, but to me it was the same thing as discussing whether a rear spoiler was necessary or not....didn't really matter, cause that's how I wanted it. I'd rather he just tell me beforehand what he was doing instead of just assuming I'd take the car anyway.

772186[/snapback]

These swaps are common - unfortunately, many are transported by people for which time is money, so they tend to drive them hard. That's not good.

On the Monroney (the window sticker), the name of the dealer who took original factory delivery is printed.

During manufacture, some "miles" are indeed put on the motor - to the good.

Typically, "long blocks" - block+cylinder head(s)+oil pan, possibly intake manifold, are delivered to the assembly plant. There, parts such as fuel injection, exhaust manifold, alternator, starter, AC pump etc. are affixed.

The built motor then goes to the "hot test" carousel, where it spends ten minutes or so while operability, leak checks and the like are performed. It eventually mates with the chassis, and the completed build usually is tested on a dynometer for within specification power deliverability, trans shifting, and a couple of other things.

Then it's off to emission testing. The motor is fully warmed up (the jargon is "hot soak") and placed on another dyno while emission compliance is checked.

Lastly, the contracted hauler folks drive it to a lot for loading on trucks or rail cars.

Their contract with the mfg. states that they bear responsibility for in-transit damage.

Then the dealer tries to stab you in a multitude of ways. :(

Lastly, the contracted hauler folks drive it to a lot for loading on trucks or rail cars.

Their contract with the mfg. states that they bear responsibility for in-transit damage.

772546[/snapback]

Several months ago, I was driving along and spotted a car carrier alongside the road, with the driver outside, looked like he was tightening down a chain on one of the cars. As I got closer, I noticed it was a german car (forgot brand, either BMW or Mercedes), and one of the chains must have broke, because it had some severe bashes all down the sides. The driver did not look happy.

Several months ago, I was driving along and spotted a car carrier alongside the road, with the driver outside, looked like he was tightening down a chain on one of the cars. As I got closer, I noticed it was a german car (forgot brand, either BMW or Mercedes), and one of the chains must have broke, because it had some severe bashes all down the sides. The driver did not look happy.

772573[/snapback]

I'll bet he wasn't. This goes back a while, but one of the southern states had a law that any new vehicle with damage exceeding $200.00 had to be titled as a used vehicle. Ouch.

Factories have engineering teams that spend their time working on correct tie-down equipment, initial and retension tension, and location.

As a truck rolls down the road, hitting bumps and potholes, a lot of force is transmitted and having an incorrect tie-down arrangement can and does twist unibody frames. Full-frame chassies are of course more forgiving.

These swaps are common - unfortunately, many are transported by people for which time is money, so they tend to drive them hard. That's not good.

That's kinda what I feared happening. Even though it wasn't a relatively expensive car, it's still a helluva lot of money to me, so I wanted the mileage to be next to nothing. Running eight hours straight at 65mph didn't go very far to assist with my peace of mind.

I seem to remember Mazda 3's and 6's having a "proudly manafactured by UAW" sticker on the windows at John Holtz in Rochester

I could be wrong regarding the 3's, but i definetely remember it on the 6 I rented in New Hampshire. Fun ride...would like to try it in a 5 or 6 speed.