McGahee - Definitely Overrated

SouthernMan

Fully agree.

It baffles me how that line is not considered a no-brainer by anyone who has the ability to turn on a computer.

770246[/snapback]

I hope you're watching the real 'best RB in the NFL' tonight and realize how WM isn't even in the same league.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope you're watching the real 'best RB in the NFL' tonight and realize how WM isn't even in the same league.

770272[/snapback]

Im not going to call you any names but im sure you can imagine what im thinking ... why dont you go post this on a Miami, or Jets board. You will fit in better their.

Not to mention, that the "best RB in the NFL" has a whole 0.3 or 0.4 YPC more than Willis. :angry:

770272[/snapback]

<_<:lol:

Did I say I thought WM was 'the best' RB in the league????

No. In fact I said.....

I actually think you could be correct about WM.

I also think you may well be incorrect.

:angry:

McGahee may be the most overrated player in the NFL. For some reason his publicity machine has no trouble getting him booked on sports talk forums and NFL promotional ads. Pretty good face exposure for a guy who is not much more than a very average starting running back.

Anyone who thinks he is a first-tier back is kidding themselves. He doesn't shed tackles all that well, doesn't really have much in the way of juke moves, not enough speed to beat defenders going to the outside, and now with his weight loss, he doen't even have the power to get the extra yard or two in a pile.

He did a good job of making something out of nothing on the one play where NE overpersued and he ran around to the left - I'll give him that.

A lot of his yardage is gained on draw plays where there aren't as many defenders stacked in the middle.

For some reason, the guy rubs me the wrong way. Always has. I think what bothers me most is that he acts like he's in the elite class of NFL players. 1000 yard rushers are a dime a dozen in the 16 game schedule.

It wouldn't bother me a bit if they shipped him down to Miami for a 3rd pick - which is about all he's worth.

I really like A-train and would love to see him be the starting RB.

769502[/snapback]

I think you named the subject line of this thread quite well.

It's focus is obviously based in his performance, but what the comments mostly really speak to is how folks rate him.

I disagree with the general sentiment in that I think most Bills fans seem to have a pretty clear idea of what WM can do and cannot do and do not really overrate him at all.

I think most people were quite impressed with WM in that he came back from what initially looked like a career ending injury in his final collegiate game.

However, i think most view him as a player who was reasonably considered to be among the top 10 and more likely the top 5 picks in the 2003 draft class before his injury.

However, it was pretty clear to most objective observers that after his injury it seemed unlikely he would be able to play the pro game.

The Bills pick of WM with the 1st TD worked hard to get from AT was a surprising move which after the initial shock had potential to be a brilliant move. The key would be if the Bills docs were right and the nature of the multiple knee injuries was such that it would allow him to resume something approximating the level of potential talent he showed in college.

I think virtually all Bills fans who have more than a casual allegiance and pay attention to the game feel WM has fulfilled the risk TD made in that he did come back to play and has merited a starting role as an RB in the NFL. However, i think most thinking fans feel that WM's talk of being one of the elite RBs in the NFL is simply incorrect.

Its good that he aspires to be this, because if an RB of his collegiate talent did not say he was the best, I'd feel even worse about his desire and play.

WM has shown some very good positives in his time here:

1. Fastest Bill ever to reach 2000 ards rushing

2. Great stiff arm shown in 04 (though it went away last year.

3. Came back to play the next game after injury led to expectation he would miss next game and in general has shown himself be a durable RN who can be called upon to carry the rock a bunch of times.

However, he has also shown some real limitations in his game:

1. After an extremely prodductive 1st half start last year, his production came no where near equalling his talk of being an elite back with a second half of the season production outage.

2. Has never shown much production as a reciever which is necessary for him to truly be considered an elite back.

3. Could not beat out Shaud Willians as the 3rd down go-to guy for the Bills last year.

I think the only folks who overrate WM are those foolish enough not to see the limitations mentioned aboce.

I don't see thinking fans ovverating him at all.

Perhaps he does not produce like they expect a Bills #1 RB to produce or at a level they think a 1st rounder should produce at, or at some vision they have set based on Thurman Thomas producing for us.

I do not know, but TT is a HOF level back and it would be unreasonable to expect every back to produce at his level even if all Bills fans want a HOF RB.

I think many Bills fans have a rational rating of WM. With his impressive comeback from the injury in his first year of play in 2004 and his production last year WM is in noway an elite back. However, he is a young player who has produced a bunch of yards quickly as a Bill so there is way too much upside for someone to give up on him given his # 10 in the NFL rushing performance last year and the fallur of TC/MM to guide an effective offensive performance last year. WM has not produced as a pass reiever or 3rd down back as one would expect an elite RB to do, but he was not used that way last year either so the jury is still out.

I think to the extent WM is overrated, it says more about the person doing the rating than it does about WM's production in the league to date (above average as a rusher) but in no way an elite back. however, his recovery from the injury shows an ability to work hard and it would be foolish to give up on him yet.

This is particularly true if the alternative is Anthony Thiomas as the starting RB. Thomas was very impressive on Sunday, but one would really be overating an RN to claim that he is a #1 RB in this league. I think he can be a great Kenny Davis type producer for us, but even this is asking a lot from an RB who is several years removed from 1000 yard production.

McGahee different! McGahee bad!

OOoooo, he rubs you the wrong way. trade him! sh--, buffalo should have traded bruce smith in his prime, because he was a bit of an a-hole.

Scrwe talent and winning! We need a team of players from up north just like us. Who cares that we'll go 1-15, at least our players wont "rub us the wrong way"

769961[/snapback]

"Players from up north"? Where's that come from?

Apart from his self-promoting arrogance, I think another reason McGahee rubs me the wrong way is that he comes off as a hired hand - nothing more than a guy on the payroll. When I think of Kelly, Thurman, Reed, and yes, Bruce Smith, I think of players with a real love for their team who took pride in being part of the spirit and tradition of THE BUFFALO BILLS.

McGahee, on the other hand, strikes me as someone who doesn't and never will care what uniform he wears. I can't picture him standing on the Bills' sidelines after his playing days.

The topic of this post was the question of whether Mcgahee is overrated. I believe he is preceived more by his college status and the expectation and potential of his NFL prowess. Is he a good back? Yes. Is he great? Not yet.

When opposing defenses have to start planning around the McGahee-led running game, maybe then he can be seen as a contender for pro bowl consideration. I don't think he's exactly striking fear in the hearts of defenders. Until then, he's just another NFL caliber back.

"Players from up north"?  Where's that come from?

Apart from his self-promoting arrogance, I think another reason McGahee rubs me the wrong way is that he comes off as a hired hand - nothing more than a guy on the payroll.  When I think of Kelly, Thurman, Reed, and yes, Bruce Smith, I think of players with a real love for their team who took pride in being part of the spirit and tradition of THE BUFFALO BILLS. 

McGahee, on the other hand, strikes me as someone who doesn't and never will care what uniform he wears.  I can't picture him standing on the Bills' sidelines after his playing days. 

The topic of this post was the question of whether Mcgahee is overrated.  I believe he is preceived more by his college status and the expectation and potential of his NFL prowess. Is he a good back? Yes.  Is he great?  Not yet.

When opposing defenses have to start planning around the McGahee-led running game, maybe then he can be seen as a contender for pro bowl consideration. I don't think he's exactly striking fear in the hearts of defenders. Until then, he's just another NFL caliber back.

770462[/snapback]

I guess it depends on how an individual rates him. I dont see McGahee as overrated, because i place him in the second tier of RB's in the league, ranked roughly in the 8-12 range. McGahee will probably never be a 1800-15 RB. But i see no reason why he cant be a steady 1300-10 type of RB. I'd gladly take that. I think too many people expect WM to rush for 2k yards every year, and when he doesnt, he sucks.

I'm just sick of all these people saying willis sucks, and we shoudl get rid of him, and they cant wait until hes not a bill. wheres that going to get us?

770462[/snapback]

For the past couple of years, opposing defenses have been stacking the box to try to stop our rushing attack.

It's amazing how many people were questioning A Thomas even being on the team 7 days ago and now they want him to start! People, use your brains! Willis is a very good back. I think the coaches will use AT to give Willis a breather and as a change of pace--and that's how he is best used. They are two different types of runners and that should help keep the defenses more off balance. Hey, be happy we have two good backs. Do you want Sammy Morris as your number 1 back? Remember those days?

After thinking about this seriously for approximately ten seconds, it's almost impossible to believe that Willis didn't know it was 4th down. I think he did. For the simple fact that there almost HAD to be discussion of it briefly in the Bills huddle about whether we were going for a FG or not before they sent the play in. Players were looking to the sidelines to see if they were coming out. Of course none of us were there but there almost had to be some quick talk about "Yes, we're going for it!"

Fully agree.

It baffles me how that line is not considered a no-brainer by anyone who has the ability to turn on a computer.

770246[/snapback]

That's why I never turn it off, all those buttons can be tricky.

I think we need to give Willis a chance with the new system that is being run. To jump on him because he had a down year last season under MM is unfair. He was asked to hit it up in there regardless of whether there was a hole and basically ignore the cutback. All the great backs show patience and let something develop. During his great run, how many times did you see Priest Holmes running with his hand on the back of the pulling guard as opposed to slamming through? WM needs a chance to flourish under a staff that realizes the best ways to utilize its personnel. I have no problem with his performance as a whole on Sunday. I remember thinking to myself, it really does look like he's back. His physical abilities will show through, and a down second half on taped up ankles is not going to make me forget the cutting and shiftiness he showed in the first 30 mins of that game. If by week 5 we are still having the same discussion, then I may be inclined to change my outlook, but give it a chance.

McGahee may be the most overrated player in the NFL. For some reason his publicity machine has no trouble getting him booked on sports talk forums and NFL promotional ads. Pretty good face exposure for a guy who is not much more than a very average starting running back.

Anyone who thinks he is a first-tier back is kidding themselves. He doesn't shed tackles all that well, doesn't really have much in the way of juke moves, not enough speed to beat defenders going to the outside, and now with his weight loss, he doen't even have the power to get the extra yard or two in a pile.

He did a good job of making something out of nothing on the one play where NE overpersued and he ran around to the left - I'll give him that.

A lot of his yardage is gained on draw plays where there aren't as many defenders stacked in the middle.

For some reason, the guy rubs me the wrong way. Always has. I think what bothers me most is that he acts like he's in the elite class of NFL players. 1000 yard rushers are a dime a dozen in the 16 game schedule.

It wouldn't bother me a bit if they shipped him down to Miami for a 3rd pick - which is about all he's worth.

I really like A-train and would love to see him be the starting RB.

769502[/snapback]

stop please.

I guess it depends on how an individual rates him. I dont see McGahee as overrated, because i place him in the second tier of RB's in the league, ranked roughly in the 8-12 range. McGahee will probably never be a 1800-15 RB. But i see no reason why he cant be a steady 1300-10 type of RB. I'd gladly take that. I think too many people expect WM to rush for 2k yards every year, and when he doesnt, he sucks.

I'm just sick of all these people saying willis sucks, and we shoudl get rid of him, and they cant wait until hes not a bill. wheres that going to get us?

770520[/snapback]

:lol:

That's just not good enough for the Bills. If they aren't in the top 3 at their position, we don't want them.

Honestly, who wants a player that isn't the best? It makes no sense at all. Furthermore, fans from the 8 or so teams that have the better player can mercilessly rub it in.....& I can't stand that.

I think it best that we just keep cutting players until we achieve a team full of 'top 3 at their position' players.

During his great run, how many times did you see Priest Holmes running with his hand on the back of the pulling guard as opposed to slamming through? 

770601[/snapback]

never saw priest holmes do that on 4th and short. instead, you'd see priest do some crazy leap and go over the top.