Gutsy, but wrong call

SactoBillFan

It was a gutsy call by Jauron but the situation called for a field goal at the time. Bills up by 10 you have to get something out of that drive.

If they were in Buffalo I'd agree with the call but not at NE with a 10 pt lead. First I think they got a BJ on the spot ie I think Willis got the first down. But then again getting BJs at Foxborough is par for the course. Second though, was that if they didn't get it (which by BJ they didn't), the momentum changes, the crowd gets back into it, Pasties get the momentum and evidently that sucks.

In all though I liked the way the Bills played. I didn't expect them to win though they should have. I liked JPs patience in the pocket and was surprised by how much time he had most of the game. I liked watching Marcia pick himself off the groud so often.

Still I think it was the wrong call, get the 3 and make them score 2 tds to win.

my 2 cents <_<

The Pats still would have been within two TD's to win and I think they would have found a way. They turned it on and we couldn't stop them. More disheartening was hearing on WGR this morning that Willis thought it was 3rd down, not 4th. WTF?

I have no problem with the call. The first down and touchdown would have been a devastating blow. The Field goal at that stage of the game wasn't all that important. Sure in hindsight it would have made all the difference. But if I had perfect hindsight I'd be buying a lot of lottery tickets. All together a game that showed an improving team. I'd have liked a win, but I'm getting more and more confident in DJ and ML.

It was a gutsy call by Jauron but the situation called for a field goal at the time. Bills up by 10 you have to get something out of that drive.

If they were in Buffalo I'd agree with the call but not at NE with a 10 pt lead. First I think they got a BJ on the spot ie I think Willis got the first down. But then again getting BJs at Foxborough is par for the course. Second though, was that if they didn't get it (which by BJ they didn't), the momentum changes, the crowd gets back into it, Pasties get the momentum and evidently that sucks.

In all though I liked the way the Bills played. I didn't expect them to win though they should have. I liked JPs patience in the pocket and was surprised by how much time he had most of the game. I liked watching Marcia pick himself off the groud so often.

Still I think it was the wrong call, get the 3 and make them score 2 tds to win.

my 2 cents  <_<

769070[/snapback]

I agree. From a tactics point of view, I think it was the wrong call for the situation.

The one thing I do like about the call is that Jauron has now made a statement to his players ... they are expected to pick up 3 feet. He made thge call without hesitation and did not waver. The Bills simply need to get tougher and make that play in the future.

Hind-sight is always 20/20

If we kicked the field goal, they still would get the lead with 2 TD's. We were on a roll and we could have basically put the game away with another TD. We only needed a couple feet. Basically, there was no better time to go for it on 4th Down. It was a make or break play and unfortunately it didn't work out.

I've said it before - I agree that it would have been better to make the field goal than screw up the 4th down.

If we made it, it'd've been the gutsy call that beat the Pats. This isn't a year where we're clearly a better team than most and just have to play our game to win - we need to take a chance at a knockout when we get it.

I've said it before - I agree that it would have been better to make the field goal than screw up the 4th down. 

If we made it, it'd've been the gutsy call that beat the Pats.  This isn't a year where we're clearly a better team than most and just have to play our game to win - we need to take a chance at a knockout when we get it.

769180[/snapback]

Jauron coached that game like a man, in a manner completely unlike that of our previous two coaches. You can't argue with that.

I definitely agree with the call to go for it. And there is no one around who would have disagreed with the move if Willis had been able to reach out another foot. But it is a game of inches.

Also, I am willing to bet the same people second-guessing the call today would be making the same type of posts if he elected to kick the field gaol and the Pats still managed to make the come back. Only then these arm-chair-coaches would be saying Jauron was spineless and should have gone for it.

Let's face it; this is the nature of pro football. DJ could go either way, but as long as the Bills come up short in the end, there will be naysayers.

I personally hope DJ and company make the same decision the next time that situation comes up. Play to win.

I disagree with the 'wrong call' statement. If the Bills go for it and don't make it, they are still up two scores and the Pats have the ball on the 7. If they kick the FG, they are still only up two scores and the Pats have the ball on the ~25-30. I LOVE the call. We kept kicking FG's last year when we played in Foxboro, and we let them hang around. Look how that turned out.

I mentioned it before in another post: The Bills could've possibly won the game on that play, but they definitely didn't lose the game on that play.

The Pats still would have been within two TD's to win and I think they would have found a way.  They turned it on and we couldn't stop them.  More disheartening was hearing on WGR this morning that Willis thought it was 3rd down, not 4th. WTF?

769131[/snapback]

I think he was thinking of the call as another 3rd and 1....More as a psychological feeling rather than him actually assuming that it is a 3rd down.

Jauron coached that game like a man, in a manner completely unlike that of our previous two coaches. You can't argue with that.

769189[/snapback]

[/quoExactly. This team was missing some serious balls last year. I like the call even if we didnt get it. There were alot of other plays that dictated that loss and half were from the refs stand point. Now its time to go into Miami and kick some ass!. I will be there loud and proud( and drunk) GO BILLS!!