If you really want to know . . .

Peter

. . . check out what Vince Wolfork did to Melvin Fowler

That was the key to the outcome of the play.

Spoilier alert:

Wilfork knocked Fowler two yards into the backfield and changed the whole play. That started the chain of events where WM had no choice but to move laterally to his right before cutting toward the line of scrimmage and no one picked up the back side linebacker.

In fact, I doubt that even one of our blockers knocked any of their guys off the line of scrimmage.

P.S. I may have missed it, but I do not recall seeing one post mentioning how Wilfork abused Fowler on this play. Instead, many on this board have tried to use this play to further their preconcieved biases.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Wilfork is one of the biggest, best DT's in the league. He's going to get penetration from time to time. The previous play was 3rd and 8, so Wilfork is on the sidelines taking a knee and drinking water while Fowler is pass blocking. After his little rest, Wilfork's ONLY job is to come in and blow the center back two yards. He will do it to every center he plays this year- we shouldn't be surprised it happened. I thought Fowler, after snap #1, had a pretty good game.

I also had the game Tivo'ed and you are correct that Wilfork won the one on one battle with Fowler.

Where I disagree with you is the fact that it excuses Willis. As he clearly admited after the game, he thought it was 3rd down -- for that, there is absolutely no excuse. Willis has the ability to make people miss... there were a few occassions in which Willis looked like he'd be tackled for a loss but he changed fields and made huge gains despite the O-Line getting beat. The top running backs in this league find a way to move the chains when the team absolutely needs it -- this is one occassion where I expect Willis to rise to the occassion.

Spoilier alert: 

Wilfork knocked Fowler two yards into the backfield and changed the whole play.  That started the chain of events where WM had no choice but to move laterally to his right before cutting toward the line of scrimmage and no one picked up the back side linebacker.

In fact, I doubt that even one of our blockers knocked any of their guys off the line of scrimmage.

P.S.  I may have missed it, but I do not recall seeing one post mentioning how Wilfork abused Fowler on this play.  Instead, many on this board have tried to use this play to further their preconcieved biases.

769010[/snapback]

769010[/snapback]

It has looked a mess on every viewing; I don't doubt that Fowler got abused. Up until that point I thought that the O-line was delivering better than expected. The Bills looked like a team that was going to run when it wanted to run. 4th and 1 didn't strike me as a critical play.

Were they really that much worse from then on ? I don't think I can pin the shutout that followed on them.

Preconceived biases? rofl, yes we all hope Willis fails and we have to draft another RB. I haven't tivo'd the replay so I kinda hope you're right and that there's nothing he could've done and Wilfork just made a great play. I was under the impression though that running the ball on 4th&1 tends to minimize your OL weaknesses and maximize your strength at RB....or at least that's what I read on TBD last year re: why everybody wanted to kill Mularkey for throwing on short yardage last year.

Preconceived biases?  rofl, yes we all hope Willis fails and we have to draft another RB.  I haven't tivo'd the replay so I kinda hope you're right and that there's nothing he could've done and Wilfork just made a great play.  I was under the impression though that running the ball on 4th&1 tends to minimize your OL weaknesses and maximize your strength at RB....or at least that's what I read on TBD last year re: why everybody wanted to kill Mularkey for throwing on short yardage last year.

769513[/snapback]

There have been people on this board who have been trashing WM for BS since he has been with the Bills. In fact, during this past off season, the usual suspects posted almost daily trash Willis posts. This got old a long time ago.

As for the fourth in one, it really ended up being a fourth and three after Fowler got knocked two yards back into the back field. Rather than plunging straight ahead between the center and right guard (as I think the play was ideally designed to go), WM had to move laterally to his right to have any chance at all before turning it up field. No one blocked the back side linebacker, and I did not see one of our guys knock any of their guys back at all.

Notwithstanding that, WM initially looked like he made the first (as the announcers said), but the refs marked it back. It is questionable whether his knee touched the ground before he got the first down.

There have been people on this board who have been trashing WM for BS since he has been with the Bills.  In fact, during this past off season, the usual suspects posted almost daily trash Willis posts.  This got old a long time ago.

As for the fourth in one, it really ended up being a fourth and three after Fowler got knocked two yards back into the back field.  Rather than plunging straight ahead between the center and right guard (as I think the play was ideally designed to go), WM had to move laterally to his right to have any chance at all before turning it up field.  No one blocked the back side linebacker, and I did not see one of our guys knock any of their guys back at all.

Notwithstanding that, WM initially looked like he made the first (as the announcers said), but the refs marked it back.  It is questionable whether his knee touched the ground before he got the first down.

769527[/snapback]

While I shouldn't fault him for getting stopped or be stupid enough to call for the A-train to start, he did dance a little too much for my liking on runs in the 2nd half that could have been for no gains instead of 2 yard losses if he had attacked the LOS instead of skipping up there.

Spoilier alert: 

Wilfork knocked Fowler two yards into the backfield and changed the whole play.  That started the chain of events where WM had no choice but to move laterally to his right before cutting toward the line of scrimmage and no one picked up the back side linebacker.

769010[/snapback]

The same thing happened on the safety.

The same thing happened on the safety.

769687[/snapback]

Pressure up the middle kills. You are exactly correct.

That is why I thought that the Bills should have kept Sam Adams. I realize that I probably am in the minority, but I think that the guy has the quicks to play this defense and also clog the middle.

There have been people on this board who have been trashing WM for BS since he has been with the Bills.  In fact, during this past off season, the usual suspects posted almost daily trash Willis posts.  This got old a long time ago.

As for the fourth in one, it really ended up being a fourth and three after Fowler got knocked two yards back into the back field.  Rather than plunging straight ahead between the center and right guard (as I think the play was ideally designed to go), WM had to move laterally to his right to have any chance at all before turning it up field.  No one blocked the back side linebacker, and I did not see one of our guys knock any of their guys back at all.

Notwithstanding that, WM initially looked like he made the first (as the announcers said), but the refs marked it back.  It is questionable whether his knee touched the ground before he got the first down.

769527[/snapback]

Where do I find a pair of those rose-colored glasses ? Does he owe you money or something? ;):(

Forget that play for a minute. Let me ask a few simple questions: Do you think WM gives 100% effort basically on every play, especially when he has the ball? Do you consider him a team player, or a me first guy? Finally, do you really think WM cares if the Bills win or not?

My answers are: No, me first, and finally not at all....

If the Bills never draft another player from the "U" I would die a happy man...

Where do I find a pair of those rose-colored glasses ?  Does he owe you money or something?  ;)  :(

Forget that play for a minute.  Let me ask a few simple questions:  Do you think WM gives 100% effort basically on every play, especially when he has the ball?  Do you consider him a team player, or a me first guy? Finally, do you really think WM cares if the Bills win or not?

My answers are: No, me first, and finally not at all....

If the Bills never draft another player from the "U" I would die a happy man...

769830[/snapback]

Yes, absolutely. Do you realize what he had to do to come back from that injury?Did you read his comments from last week? Do you know what he did with the ball that he carried for his first TD? [Hint: He did not keep it as I would have and most people would have] Did you see his expression on the sideline during the Bills loss to the Dolphins at the end of the game last year?

The problem with this team is not that we have too many players from UM. Your comment regarding UM reveals your real motivation behind your post.

Yes, absolutely.  Do you realize what he had to do to come back from that injury?Did you read his comments from last week?  Do you know what he did with the ball that he carried for his first TD?  [Hint:  He did not keep it as I would have and most people would have] Did you see his expression on the sideline during the Bills loss to the Dolphins at the end of the game last year?

The problem with this team is not that we have too many players from UM.  Your comment regarding UM reveals your real motivation behind your post.

769838[/snapback]

methinks thou doth protest too much -- i mean, how many posts do we need that defend this 2 steps-above-journeyman back? he is in fact pretty good - not great, not bad. he also doesn't fumble much, which is a real asset. that's about it. but until he shows more in terms of production, there's not a whole lot to crow about.

anyway, that play wasn't his fault. the bottom line is that the bills made a bad choice in running a RB play on 4th and 1 inside the 10, because it works less than half of the time (statistically speaking). they should have done either a qb sneak or kicked the fg.

methinks thou doth protest too much -- i mean, how many posts do we need that defend this 2 steps-above-journeyman back? he is in fact pretty good - not great, not bad. he also doesn't fumble much, which is a real asset. that's about it. but until he shows more in terms of production, there's not a whole lot to crow about.

anyway, that play wasn't his fault. the bottom line is that the bills made a bad choice in running a RB play on 4th and 1 inside the 10, because it works less than half of the time (statistically speaking). they should have done either a qb sneak or kicked the fg.

769849[/snapback]

How many asinine posts do we need on this board trashing WM without any basis?

Although normally I would appreciate a quote from Shakespeare's Hamlet, the facts are the facts. The guy asked me a question and I answered it with the facts.