Pats cut fast Freddy!!!!!!!!!!

Eric/Hawaii

They claimed Smith off waivers; he didn't have a choice.

And while I wouldn't put it past the sonuvaBelichick to pull a stunt like this, there is another possibility. Troy Brown, Reche Caldwell, and rookie Chad Jackson were the only WRs on the roster who were around for training camp/preseason, and Jackson has been limited in practice all week with a bad hamstring. Add to that, Doug Gabriel was added to the injury report with a hamstring tweak of his own. The Pats run more 3-wide/4-wide sets than just about any team in the league; does it make sense they'd want another WR available who's actually practiced in their offense for more than one week?

Just sayin'.

766222[/snapback]

When the Pats cut Smith, they signed Bam Childress. He was a victim of the 53 man roster cut. Childress played very well in the preseason. He knows the playbook.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When the Pats cut Smith, they signed Bam Childress.  He was a victim of the 53 man roster cut.  Childress played very well in the preseason.  He knows the playbook.

766224[/snapback]

My point exactly. The Pats have other guys who can return kicks.

bill belechek is a scumbag!...i hope he enjoys this(tom brady) run he is on.when toms career is finially over coach belechek will be just an ordinary coach again.just like when jim kelly called it quits,the bills have gone 10 years without an elite qb.san fransisco never really replaced steve young/joe montana.remember belecheks record pre tom brady...that really says it all....go bills in"06 and go bills this sunday!

They claimed Smith off waivers; he didn't have a choice.

And while I wouldn't put it past the sonuvaBelichick to pull a stunt like this, there is another possibility. Troy Brown, Reche Caldwell, and rookie Chad Jackson were the only WRs on the roster who were around for training camp/preseason, and Jackson has been limited in practice all week with a bad hamstring. To make matters worse, Doug Gabriel was added to the injury report with a hamstring tweak of his own.

The Pats run more 3-wide/4-wide sets than just about any team in the league; does it make sense they'd want another WR available who's actually practiced in their offense for more than one week?

Just sayin'.

766222[/snapback]

They knew all that beforehand. :o I'm just sayin'. It's very possible that he just didn't impress them and they thought, hey the guy on our PS is as good as him. It just looks very fishy.

I don't think the Bills were wronged by this, but I think it is something that could be addressed (like the Seattle-Minnesota stuff), with certain restrictions.

If Freddie were not given a chance to play and earn a spot, and was 100% information and wasn't told that, then this is a sleezy move Pats->Freddie. I still think that they probably were interested in him given their weak return game and their shortage of receivers, and realized that if it didn't work out they would at least get some info. If that was the case it seems alright to me.

They knew all that beforehand.  :o I'm just sayin'. It's very possible that he just didn't impress them and they thought, hey the guy on our PS is as good as him. It just looks very fishy.

766237[/snapback]

Can't disagree there.

(As if I needed any more reasons to dislike Belichick...)

Actually I like his idea to get information. I'm sure it's not the first time it's been done.

766071[/snapback]

I am sure the Bills did this more than once over the years...I distinctly remember them signing someone the Dolphins had cut earlier in the week, just to pick his brain, and then releasing him a few days later...the name escapes me, but I am sure the Bills have done it too...

I don't think the Bills were wronged by this, but I think it is something that could be addressed (like the Seattle-Minnesota stuff), with certain restrictions.

If Freddie were not given a chance to play and earn a spot, and was 100% information and wasn't told that, then this is a sleezy move Pats->Freddie.  I still think that they probably were interested in him given their weak return game and their shortage of receivers, and realized that if it didn't work out they would at least get some info.  If that was the case it seems alright to me.

766238[/snapback]

True. And it's something we will never know either way. I'm sure Smith was told he had a good shot to impress them and make the team. I don't even think it's a scumbag move at all to grill him. It's only a scumbag move if they had no intention of keeping him and we'll never know that.

I say if B. did lead Freddy to believe he wanted him on the team, signed him only to pump him for info, it's sleazy no matter if it's within the rules.

And it depresses me to think how many people are just fine with it. Someone once said, in another context, that "Society only works when people do more than the law requires and less than it allows."  Yet the country is full of people who think that's a loser's attitude.  It makes the U.S. an uglier place to live. No wonder we're on the skids, heading for the third world.

Pardon my editorial comment.

766131[/snapback]

Best post I've seen in a very long time. Thanks.

We'd know, if Smith comes out and says that Belichick picked his brains about the Bills' offense.  And if that's the case, I hope he comes forward and admits this.

Although I still think that Smith proved useless to them from ALL aspects.

766247[/snapback]

It's not even underhanded to pick someone's brain about the Bills game if you believed he would be a member of your team. That goes on all the time. I wouldn't even call it deceitful at all. It's only bad if that was the reason they signed him and had little intention of keeping him. But we'll never know that because the Pats will just say we weren't impressed. And they are not going to show their cards to Smith, I'm sure they said we're happy to have you, you can help us, show us what you got. They would say that whether they planned on keeping him or not.

Right, only scummy if they brought him in as a consultant only, with no real hopes of suiting up for a game for them. Like I said, I think he could reasonably been expected to contribute to the Pats, and this wasn't a scum move. Freddie seemed fairly likely to make the Bills who have outstanding depth and pretty good talent at the positions he plays, so since those positions are weakspots for the Pats, he should have had a fair chance to play and prove himself, and it just didn't work out.

Bill B. can stay public enemy #1 because he has earned that role, but I don't think this would have pushed him up from the #2 spot if he weren't already on top.

I am sure the Bills did this more than once over the years...I distinctly remember them signing someone the Dolphins had cut earlier in the week, just to pick his brain, and then releasing him a few days later...the name escapes me, but I am sure the Bills have done it too...

766244[/snapback]

Pretty compelling argument.

That's it! You're a Yankee fan  :o

You are correct that I would be upset if we didn't do everything within our means to win. But and I say this espescially with Marv talking about character guys now, if we need a running back should we go get Clarett?

766101[/snapback]

Speaking of which.................

THE YANKEES WIN, THE YANKEES WIN..................

AND WITH A 6 RUN 12 INNING..... KC WINS AND BOSTON IS NOW 10 GAMES BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DA YANKEES WIN!!!!!!

766244[/snapback]

Is there any reason why a team cannot simply pay the player for a 'chat'. They could then pay them as a consultant and not as a player. How do we know that this isn't done with all teams?

As KTFBD and some others have pointed out, it is pure speculation that this was a "sleazy" move. It very well may have been, but we'll never know what BB's true intentions were when they signed Smith.

Still, I think we are losing sight of the fact that Smith probably couldn't have given BB much that he didn't already know. The Bills had NOT game planned for NE before Smith was cut -- and if they had, it was very minimal. Gameplans are saved till Tuesday of game week usually. And any sort of playbook information Smith could have given up could just as easily been gathered from watching tape of the Rams last season.

This move will have little to no impact on the outcome of tomorrow's game, or the Bills' season. The only person this will impact is Smith who I happen to think is a fine player.

Didn't Belichick basically come out and SAY in a recent press conference that he was trying to pimp Smith for information?

766295[/snapback]

Yes but he said there isnt much you can get from a guy. He also implied that the Bills were the best collection of players ever so I am not sure we can take him at his word.

Yes but he said there isnt much you can get from a guy. He also implied that the Bills were the best collection of players ever so I am not sure we can take him at his word.

I believe Belichick about as far as I can throw him, but to say he tried to get information out of Smith carries more weight than if he'd said he didn't. There's no reason to lie and say you did, when you didn't.