Interesting that three of the waived players

jahnyc

I am not sure how the scouting for the Bills works, but the Bills have done a good job of acquiring talent in the secondary through the draft and with undrafted players. Do the scouts work by region or by position (I think it is the former)? Our depth is evident and Baker and King have enough potential to be picked up by other teams. If the Bills can find a way to keep Clements, I think our secondary will be one of the strongest in the NFL within a couple of years.

Constrast the success with the secondary with the failures with the oline. Williams, Sobieski, McFarland, Puccillo, Geisinger, and possibly Preston. Now we have no depth on our oline and an injury to one of our tackles would be devastating.

Constrast the success with the secondary with the failures with the oline.  Williams, Sobieski, McFarland, Puccillo, Geisinger, and possibly Preston.  Now we have no depth on our oline and an injury to one of our tackles would be devastating.

761032[/snapback]

Geisinger is the third pickup, yes ? An odd cut.

Outside of Williams they have tended to draft DB's earlier than OL's. Someone will have to explain that to me.

Good point, and again this year the Bills followed the same formula: they used early picks on the defensive secondary and late round picks on the oline.

Seems to me that other than Williams, the Bills have not made much of an investment (in terms of early picks in the draft) in the oline. Strange, since top LTs and RTs are almost prohibitively expensive as free agent acquisitions.

By accident one would expect them to stumble across a second tier O lineman (late on day one) at some point. Settling for junk late looks like bad plan.

It appears that I had higher hopes for Sobieski and company than even they did.

Geisinger is the third pickup, yes ? An odd cut.

Outside of Williams they have tended to draft DB's earlier than OL's. Someone will have to explain that to me.

761041[/snapback]

When drafting it is important to remember to plan... :w00t:

with the failures with the oline.  and possibly Preston. 

761032[/snapback]

Why do you view Preston as possibly a failure?

He was able to fill in for starter Villarial last year and most seem to feel like that at the very least he was not a dropoff from a player many view to be getting older and inadequate due to his age.

Many folks including me seem pretty sure that Preston will soon be called upon to start for Villarial and this will be an upgrade.

Being better than an inadequate player is not an asserion of his being a success, but given that a second day draft choice starting in his second year exceeds the production of many second day draft choices it is hard for me to see how this canbe judged a failure.

In fact. most feel it is premature to make a declaration or draw a final conclusion about any player until after we see how he does in his first three years. It seems that to judge Preston as a potential failure makes little sense as he can be as easily judged a potential success at this point and actually his play and position in the real world would seem to actually be so far so good.

What do you expect from a rookie for him not top ne a failure?

When drafting it is important to remember to plan... :w00t:

761108[/snapback]

What are they gonna' say about him ? What are they gonna' say ? That he was a kind man ?

That he was a wise man ? That he had plans ? That he had wisdom ? Bull.... man !

Can't say it better than Dennis Hopper in Apocalypse Now. There must be method in their madness.

I see no reason at this point to doubt Marv's plan. He feels that Pennington, Merz and Butler's upsides are better than those of the the guys drafted by the former regime. Considering the success the former regime had with starting OLinemen, we might want to assume Marv has a better idea of how to go about things?

I see no reason at this point to doubt Marv's plan. He feels that Pennington, Merz and Butler's upsides are better than those of the the guys drafted by the former regime.

761123[/snapback]

Um, Tom Modrak then, Tom Modrak now. Marv didn't exactly sweep clean the scouting department.

Why do you view Preston as possibly a failure?

He was able to fill in for starter Villarial last year and most seem to feel like that at the very least he was not a dropoff from a player many view to be getting older and inadequate due to his age.

Many folks including me seem pretty sure that Preston will soon be called upon to start for Villarial and this will be an upgrade.

Being better than an inadequate player is not an asserion of his being a success, but given that a second day draft choice starting in his second year exceeds the production of many second day draft choices it is hard for me to see how this canbe judged a failure.

In fact. most feel it is premature to make a declaration or draw a final conclusion about any player until after we see how he does in his first three years.  It seems that to judge Preston as a potential failure makes little sense as he can be as easily judged a potential success at this point and actually his play and position in the real world would seem to actually be so far so good.

What do you expect from a rookie for him not top ne a failure?

761109[/snapback]

I really think he'll stick around for awhile. I thought he would assume the Center duties when Teague was cut. IMO, the previous regime didn't use Duke right at all.

The jury is out on Preston at this point. His position in college was center and I would have thought after not re-signing Teague that Preston would have had the inside track to be the starter this year at that position. Instead, he is playing guard and backing up Villarial.

The jury is out on Preston at this point.  His position in college was center and I would have thought after not re-signing Teague that Preston would have had the inside track to be the starter this year at that position.  Instead, he is playing guard and backing up Villarial.

761275[/snapback]

G is an easier position to break into the NFL at than C. And given CV's frailties, I'd expect Preston to be the starter there by mid-season.

Sobieski is on the Niners roster and get this : Corey Hulsey is starting at center for the Raiders until their starter, True, returns from injury!!!

By accident one would expect them to stumble across a second tier O lineman (late on day one) at some point. Settling for junk late looks like bad plan.

It appears that I had higher hopes for Sobieski and company than even they did.

761104[/snapback]

Sobieski is on the Niners roster ...

761599[/snapback]

I saw his name on the 49'ers cut list. Very sad, throwing out a perfectly good 320 lb man. Maybe not a perfectly good football player, but still.