What are we waiting for?

oregonbbfan

What is Marv waiting for? Have we been beaten on claims (lower draft priority)? Are we waiting for a better player cut due to a waiver pick up ( more future potential or $ )? Are we having trouble getting guys back on our PS for a variety of reasons? Titans have made numerous transactions.

Or can we trying to use some of that cap for a FA?

What is Marv waiting for? Have we been beaten on claims (lower draft priority)? Are we waiting for a better player cut due to a waiver pick up ( more future potential or $ )? Are we having trouble getting guys back on our PS for a variety of reasons?  Titans have made numerous transactions. 

Or can we trying to use some of that cap for a FA?

760832[/snapback]

Dude, it's the practice squad, calm down. And who cares what the Titans are doing?

Riddle me this--name all the players on the Bills PS last year.

760886[/snapback]

Funny you should ask.

I have that list right in front of me.

Hebadeeba Jeebee

Sidney Glick

Toenee Supranoe

Vinny Boombatts

Joe Materasso

John B. Ramsey

A. (Player-to-be-named) Later

Clark Kent

Funny you should ask.

I have that list right in front of me.

Hebadeeba Jeebee

Sidney Glick

Toenee Supranoe

Vinny Boombatts

Joe Materasso

John B. Ramsey

A. (Player-to-be-named) Later

Clark Kent

760922[/snapback]

Leave it to last years coaching to put Clark Kent on the practice squad and NOT on the roster. :w00t:

Teams going crazy and signing/trading for guys are not in good shape. The Bills are confident with who they kept and are ready to go. They did sign 6 players to the practice squad and will get two more whenever. How many guys ever go from the practice squad to the active roster? Once a year maybe? Calm down.

You can tell the really bad teams by the number of guys thet pick up on waivers. Good teams may claim a player now & then, but when you see multiple waiver pickups this time of year, you've got major problems. It's a better sign that teams are picking up our castoffs than the other way around. I remember in the mid 80s when we'd pick up a guy from the waiver wire & be plugging him right into the starting lineup. That's what 2-14 teams do.

Tennessee will be among the 5 worst teams in the league this season.

Here's the rest of the waiver wire "awards" and new cuts courtesy of Profootballtalk.com

Waiver awards:

ARIZONA: DB Hanik Milligan (from Chargers); DB Matt Ware (from Eagles).

CLEVELAND: OT Kelly Butler (from Lions); DE Jovan Haye (from Panthers).

GREEN BAY: DB Jarrett Bush (from Panthers); G Tony Palmer (from Rams); DB Charlie Peprah (from Giants).

HOUSTON: DB Roc Alexander (from Broncos); DT Atiyyah Ellison (from Panthers); DB Guss Scott (from Patriots); WR Edell Shepherd (from Bucs).

INDIANAPOLIS: RB De De Dorsey (from Bengals); DT Dan Klecko (from Patriots).

MIAMI: TE Tim Massaquoi (from Bucs); RB Lee Suggs (from Browns).

MINNESOTA: DB Rashad Baker (from Bills); RB Artose Pinner (from Lions).

NEW ENGLAND: WR Jonathan Smith (from Bills).

NEW ORLEANS: WR Terrance Copper (from Cowboys); DB Curtis Deloatch (from Giants); DB Dejuan Groce (from Rams); DE Michael Haynes (from Bears); OT Rob Petitti (from Cowboys).

NEW YORK JETS: TE Zach Hilton (from Saints); DT Rashad Moore (from Raiders).

SAN FRANCISCO: LB Roderick Green (from Ravens).

TENNESSEE: LB Colby Bockwoldt (from Saimts); RB Casey Cramer (from Panthers); DB Eric King (from Bills); DE Josh Savage (from Falcons).

Next, the new cuts:

ARIZONA: DB Lamont Reid.

BUFFALO: RB Joe Burns (injury settlement).

CLEVELAND: OT Kirk Chambers; DB Shawn Mayer (injury settlement); DT J'Vonne Parker.

DENVER: LB T.J. Hollowell (injury settlement).

GREEN BAY: DB Jason Horton.

HOUSTON: WR David Anderson; DB Kevin Garrett; RB Chris Taylor; DE Robaire Smith; DB Michael Stone.

INDIANAPOLIS: DB Von Hutchins; DB Dexter Reid.

MIAMI: TE Jason Rader.

MINNESOTA: WR Jason Carter; RB Wendell Mathis.

NEW ENGLAND: WR Brandon Childress.

NEW ORLEANS: OT Ben Archibald; WR Bethel Johnson (injured); DB Anwar Phillips; QB Todd Bouman; DE Tony Bryant.

NEW YORK JETS: DE Titus Adams; WR Wallace Wright.

TENNESSEE: DB Rich Gardner; TE Gregg Guenther; DE Bo Schobel; LB Spencer Toone.

Finally, the Fins signed free-agent G Kendyl Jacox.

I can't resist a response. First, save the "dude" stuff and I am calm. And, it IS more than just the PS.

With that out of the way, are we such a good team we don't need improvement? Are we so enamored with our team it would be beneath us to pick up a couple players of need or to evaluate on the PS. It's not just the bad teams adding players , and not just to the PS.

Modrak and Guy should have been ready to go as soon as the deadline was met. Yes, I think we are slow. I would rather take a chance on a LB or DL or OL before TE ( CJ Leak)

Also, we knew we were heavy in certain areas ( WR, ST'ers, DB's) all of which capabilities were known to past coaches and opposition. Why couldn't we have packaged a ccouple we knew would be cut and trade for a need like others have. I know Marv is new but TM and Guy should have been advising.

I know we're trying to establish stability but we are not good enough yet.

miami cut fred beasley. he might be a good pickup... shrug.

761371[/snapback]

I wouldn't mind Beasley- he was, maybe still is, a good receiving fullback who could carry the ball too. Much more reliable than throwing or handing to Shelton. I really doubt we'll bother though and who would we toss for another 32 year old FB.

Not gonna happen- but I like the guy regardless for whatever that's worth

Just out of curiosity, who do you see out there that would be an upgrade from the current 53-man roster? And who would you cut to make room for them?

WRT waiver awards, note the most active teams (Texans, Saints, Titans). Think it's mere coincidence those were also the top three teams picking in this year's draft? Anyone Houston puts in a claim for, they automatically get, and so on, and so on.

It's entirely possible the Bills put in claims on a few of those players -- we'll never know unless someone at OBD tells us -- but anyone of value isn't going to drop past the bottom five teams anyway. (I wouldn't have minded seeing them take a flyer on Michael Haynes or Rob Petitti, for example... but once New Orleans faxed in their paperwork, the Bills didn't even have a chance at them.)

As for the practice squad: except for Leak, Buffalo has an entire training camp/preseason's worth of tape on the players they re-signed. Again, unless it appears to be a significant upgrade, they're more likely to keep the players the coaching staff is already familiar with.

JMO.

Good, well thought out response Lori. I agree with you. In fact I stated earlier that we may have put in bids and been beat out by lower teams. I also agree with keeping those you took to camp. What that means is we are 100% correct on our draft, our previous roster and FA's after cuts. I hope we are but doubt it.

Don't get me wrong, I think Marv and DJ have done a good job up till cuts but we still have some question marks and depth issues to deal with. Then, instead of taking a chance on someone who just went through camp and games we sign Leak, I don't understand it. I hope our leaders are correct and it wasn't a wasted chance to improve this team.

I did check the wire and yes, most of the transactions are from the weak teams. But there were some better teams, Miami, Colts, Rams and Pats made adds to the 53 squad, and Pats, Giants and Bears made adds from other P/S's to theirs. This is to say nothing about several of our cuts to other P/S's. Other teams are not sitting still.

I concede I don't know all the talent out there that would be better than what we have. That is what Modrak and Guy get paid the big bucks for. I just hope we are not missing any opportunities to improve this team, time will tell.