Bills Cut Roster to 53

Matt in KC

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not me, I've been on the Gates bandwagon since last preseason....I fully admit I don't have a lot of rationale for why I like him so much, I just have a feeling about the guy. There's also been a few runs where I've seen him take the corner like a madman, so I like his attitude. I don't pretend to know more than the coaching staff, I'm just sad to see him go :wub:

760253[/snapback]

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Gates is not very good, the Bills cut better backs almost every year.  A-Train at least has something special, his speed, even if he won't suffice as an emergency starter if McGahee goes down.

760098[/snapback]

Not sure where you're getting your evaluation on A-Train having speed. Watching him in Chicago I can't remember him breaking any long runs. This guy is a classic three yards and a cloud of dust type of guy.

Not sure where you're getting your evaluation on A-Train having speed.  Watching him in Chicago I can't remember him breaking any long runs.  This guy is a classic three yards and a cloud of dust type of guy.

760341[/snapback]

btw, what is his 40 time? :wub:

Very surprised that King got cut. He had some production last year as a rookie.

Also surprised that Ricard didn't supplant Shelton as Ricard has more than just blocking skills.

Baker doesn't surprise me much only because Buffalo acquired so much secondary help in the offseason.

Of all the cuts I'd bet Baker will end up playing for someone.

Burns on IR kind of ticks me off. I'd have kept Gates and cut him instead. Burns has been here how many years? And what has he REALLY done?

What is Burns position anyway? Is he a RB or an FB? I remember seeing him listed as either. If he's being labeled a FB then I'm real surprised that he's there over Ricard.

Very surprised that King got cut.  He had some production last year as a rookie.

Also surprised that Ricard didn't supplant Shelton as Ricard has more than just blocking skills.

Baker doesn't surprise me much only because Buffalo acquired so much secondary help in the offseason.

Of all the cuts I'd bet Baker will end up playing for someone.

Burns on IR kind of ticks me off.  I'd have kept Gates and cut him instead.  Burns has been here how many years? And what has he REALLY done?

What is Burns position anyway?  Is he a RB or an FB?  I remember seeing him listed as either.  If he's being labeled a FB then I'm real surprised that he's there over Ricard.

760344[/snapback]

Shelton is one of the very best FB's in the game right now. No way Ricard was going to beat him out.

and I think they had Burns listed as a backup FB on the depth chart earlier in the preseason. he also plays special teams.

I don't get any of the Gates love. Gates only has done OK against 2nd and 3rd teamers, Thomas has has 1,000+ yrds as a starter in the "regular season". Still wish him well though.

760221[/snapback]

As someone in Chicago that watched Thomas transfom into a lazy under performer, I can understand why people aren't sold on him as a Bill. Maybe he has some fire in his belly and can regain the old form and make a contribution.

Shelton is one of the very best FB's in the game right now. No way Ricard was going to beat him out.

and I think they had Burns listed as a backup FB on the depth chart earlier in the preseason. he also plays special teams.

760347[/snapback]

I'm certainly not trying to start an argument because I do like your posts.

But I don't think Shelton is one of the best in the game:

Mike Allstot

Justin Griffith

Lorenzo Neil

Dan Kreider

Mack Strong

Mike Karney

Patrick Pass

etc etc etc.

Consistent problems running and catching the football seem to be his mainstays.

I wondered why Burns was listed as a FB before. Thank you for clarifying that.

Still I don't think Burns should have made it over Gates.

I'm certainly not trying to start an argument because I do like your posts.

But I don't think Shelton is one of the best in the game:

Mike Allstot

Justin Griffith

Lorenzo Neil

Dan Kreider

Mack Strong

Mike Karney

Patrick Pass

etc etc etc.

Consistent problems running and catching the football seem to be his mainstays.

I wondered why Burns was listed as a FB before.  Thank you for clarifying that.

Still I don't think Burns should have made it over Gates.

760365[/snapback]

no arguments here, I just like good football talk. and with football talk, you are going to get all kinds of opinions.

I just think that as a true blocking FB, Shelton ranks right up there with some of those that you list. As was the case with Sam Gash (one of the All-Time greatest FB's) they aren't going to ask him to carry or catch the ball that often. Just lower the boom and make an alley for Willis.

Taking your list, I will add a couple and rank them the way I see them, putting an emphasis on blocking and not neccessarily ball handling skills:

Mack Strong (this guy is a big reason Alexander is who he is)

Lorenzo Neil (always been one of my favorite FB's)

William Henderson (GB...this guy is a rock. My favorite FB in the league)

Cory Schlesinger (Det)

Karny

Dan Krieder (I think the rest of the O-line certainly makes his job easier)

Shelton

Terrell Smith (Cleveland...once opened huge holes for McCallister in NO)

Allstot (I used to love MA, but he really hasn't been the same since his neck injury. I also think the Bucs feel he might be on the decline as well because they aggressively went out and signed Sowell from the Jets as insurance)

Now, when i say one of the best in the league, i certainly don't mean top 3 or even 5. With the list that you and i have come up with, there are still 24 other teams, so that would certainly make Shelton one of the best.

no arguments here, I just like good football talk. and with football talk, you are going to get all kinds of opinions.

I just think that as a true blocking FB, Shelton ranks right up there with some of those that you list. As was the case with Sam Gash (one of the All-Time greatest FB's) they aren't going to ask him to carry or catch the ball that often. Just lower the boom and make an alley for Willis.

760379[/snapback]

I would have agreed with you a year ago, but last season Shelton was not very good. I don't know, maybe he just didn't look good because of our O-line. It seemed that he ran into our linemen and got in WM's way more often than opening holes for him. This was one of my biggest pet peeves last year and I still think we're better off in general having another TE / WR on the field instead of Shelton if that's how he plays this year.

With regards to not having a backup FB on the roster, that is why Neufeld made the team at TE. I don't think think he's anywhere near starting material at either position, but he's not a disaster either. I guess I'm okay with him making the team (over Cieslak) since it opens up another roster spot, but I think we're in trouble if he's on the field for more than a play or two in a game.

Taking your list, I will add a couple and rank them the way I see them, putting an emphasis on blocking and not neccessarily ball handling skills:

SheMack Strong (this guy is a big reason Alexander is who he is)

Lorenzo Neil (always been one of my favorite FB's)

William Henderson (GB...this guy is a rock. My favorite FB in the league)

Cory Schlesinger (Det)

Karny

Dan Krieder (I think the rest of the O-line certainly makes his job easier)

Shelton

Terrell Smith (Cleveland...once opened huge holes for McCallister in NO)

Allstot (I used to love MA, but he really hasn't been the same since his neck injury. I also think the Bucs feel he might be on the decline as well because they aggressively went out and signed Sowell from the Jets as insurance)

Now, when i say one of the best in the league, i certainly don't mean top 3 or even 5. With the list that you and i have come up with, there are still 24 other teams, so that would certainly make Shelton one of the best.

760379[/snapback]

You could add 260 lb Jeremi Johnson of cincy to that list. B'gals re-signed him to the top contract for FB's several months ago.

I was somewhat surprised that Milwaukee :D Thomas was kept in place of Eric King. I thought King showed some potential last year and in training camp this year.

None of the other moves surprised me that much except for keeping Coy freakin' Wire. To those who still want to defend the King of all pile-ons and bad angles, HE IS NOT A GOOD ST'er! He is not Steve Tasker or Mark Pike. He is not even Sam Aiken on ST's.

One poster early on in this thread got it right...Wire got his hands on Chuck Lester's secret stash of pictures. :wub:

You could add 260 lb Jeremi Johnson of cincy to that list. B'gals re-signed him to the top contract for FB's several months ago.

760411[/snapback]

you know, I thought about Johnson, but I rarely have watched any Bengals games to fairly place him on the list. You are probably right though.

you know, I thought about Johnson, but I rarely have watched any Bengals games to fairly place him on the list. You are probably right though.

760595[/snapback]

'

Johnson is a good FB. He is kind of a mix between Sam Gash and Larry Centers. He can block like a linemen and catch like a tight end that is on any other team besides the Bills in recent history.