Thinking outloud

OnTheRocks

Excellent point. It's going to difficult to know this year how JP is doing, but if you take away his running game and force him to throw more and develop sooner you're really huting his development.

756547[/snapback]

That is a good reason not to make the move as would be not knowing how 2006 is going yet, as of today. That said, my initial reaction even today is, yes. I definitely make that trade in 4-6 weeks if I see anything but very good or great things from Willis almost every week.

Bottom line. Yes.

A top 8-14 RB with Willis' intangibles/character that will want to be paid like a top 5 Rb in a year for a top 10 pick in next yrs draft? It is a tough Yes now and an easy Yes after a month or 6 wks of what most predict will be the Bills and Will doing.

i traded away willis mcgahee last year in fantasy football for antonio gates...people were flabbergasted

it was probably the best trade i've ever made in FF since gates turned out to be money and mcgahee was dancing his way off the field on third downs and goalline

i traded away willis mcgahee last year in fantasy football for antonio gates...people were flabbergasted

it was probably the best trade i've ever made in FF since gates turned out to be money and mcgahee was dancing his way off the field on third downs and goalline

756878[/snapback]

well that settles it then lets trade mcgahee to sf for vernon davis :devil:

I think the GM who makes that trade is actually soon looking for a job himself.

Its difficult for me to see how Ralph and Marv have any other priority than to win as soon as they can which means they go for the snowball's chance in heck of winning this year with the best team they can put on the field and then attempt to build that team into a winner using the significant cap room we should have next year.

The idea of flushing this season down the toilet by having to choose between Gates and Thomas as your starting RB would not just simply nip ticket sales for the reat of the season in the bud, but subject this team almost by plan to a horrendous losing season.

Quite frankly this move would be simply horrendous because the trauma of us voluntarily undergoing such a horrid season likely would set adoration for the Bills back by a few years as we would be virtually guaranteed our 7th year in a row with no playoff appearances and likely an 8th year next year as the team led by its two top 10 choices would be lucky to get its legs underneath it by mid-season as they learned how to be pros (even with a stud like Peyton Manning Indy finished with the same 3-13 record and we would be lucky if the addition of a second talented rookie allowed us to even get to 8-8).

Add tp that the likely massive funk if not open rebellion among guys like Fletcher-Baker who have a limited # of years left and this team simply gives up on one of the those seasons.

This does not even take into account how well JP develops without much of a running game to count on.

Since we are in some fantasy world of being a GM, it is not irrational at all to wonder whether the results of us volumtarily sacrificing this season might not be a clear step in the Bills so disgusting people that the team ends up leaving WNY.

The threat is real that the act of trading WM for assets in that crapshoot known as the NFL draft may simply be a recipe for moving this team to CA.

The draft is such a craoshoot that it seems rediculous to toss away an RB that is the fastest Bill to gain 2000 yards on the ground for a chance at a player who may well prove to be as successful as Harrington, Mike Williams, or Ryan Leaf.

Is WM worth a 1st rounder? More than that to this team.

Why stop there? Why not trade all our quality starters (of course they'll all want to leave eventually anyway)? Then we could have 4 or 5 top 10 picks. And then after 2 or 3 seasons when those top 10 picks started to play well and look good, we could trade them. I think we could eventually parlay one Willis into landing all top 10 picks. Of course, we'll suck for years, but what's more important having a great draft day, or having a great season? Give me draft day promise over lost Superbowl reality any day.

Please.

Why stop there?  Why not trade all our quality starters (of course they'll all want to leave eventually anyway)?  Then we could have 4 or 5 top 10 picks.  And then after 2 or 3 seasons when those top 10 picks started to play well and look good, we could trade them.  I think we could eventually parlay one Willis into landing all top 10 picks.  Of course, we'll suck for years, but what's more important having a great draft day, or having a great season?  Give me draft day promise over lost Superbowl reality any day. 

Please.

756941[/snapback]

Amen

Why stop there?  Why not trade all our quality starters (of course they'll all want to leave eventually anyway)?  Then we could have 4 or 5 top 10 picks.  And then after 2 or 3 seasons when those top 10 picks started to play well and look good, we could trade them.  I think we could eventually parlay one Willis into landing all top 10 picks.  Of course, we'll suck for years, but what's more important having a great draft day, or having a great season?  Give me draft day promise over lost Superbowl reality any day. 

Please.

756941[/snapback]

That is a bit OTT drama.Is he a very good RB?..hell yes.Would our team crumble without him?I dont think so.Corey Dillon was pretty damn good for Cincy...did they go in the tank because he left?No...they replaced him and were no worse off.The Colts did the right thing with Edge also..i wouldnt be shocked if either of the backs they have,pick up where he left off.

That is a bit OTT drama.Is he a very good RB?..hell yes.Would our team crumble without him?I dont think so.Corey Dillon was pretty damn good for Cincy...did they go in the tank because he left?No...they replaced him and were no worse off.The Colts did the right thing with Edge also..i wouldnt be shocked if either of the backs they have,pick up where he left off.

756951[/snapback]

It's not the same situation at all.

2003 Dillon got injured & Johnson ended up with 957yds at 4.5ave & 9TDs.

Cincy knew Johnson could replace the aging Dillon.

The Colts not only have an established Star QB, OL & WR corps but had the luxury of picking up a 1st round draft pick replacement for Edge.

I can't tell if your analogies of comparing us with the Bengals/Colts was due to ignorance, stupidity or disingenuousness.

The Colts not only have an established Star QB, OL & WR corps but had the luxury of picking up a 1st round draft pick replacement for Edge.

756954[/snapback]

And I think it's fair to add that they haven't played any games without Edge at RB this year, so let's not rush to say they won't be hurt by it (though I don't think they had a lot of choice).