Youboty

I might be talking out of my a$$ here but I think I read something a while ago about Youboty having a family from Africa.  It might be a cultural thing that you stay with the family and mourn for a couple weeks or so.  You don't just hop in a car and drive back the day after your mother's funeral.  Yes, it's bad timing for Youboty and the Bills but that's life.

756335[/snapback]

That was my first thought when it was announced that he was going home to bury his mom. Cultural difference (or religious) play into these sorts of events heavily. Someone of faith (whatever that faith may be) will respond differently depending on who has passed.

If he is cut by the Bills because of this, I will personally root for him to turn into a great player. Yes, it's a business and the Bills have to think that way, but I would hate to see that happen. He's young, he's barely out of his parents home, and now he's lost his mom. It's not affecting us the way it's affect him. We feel bad (for him or for the Bills) -- while OTOH this has probably turned his world upside down.

The guy's also like 21 years old; he's a kid. I'd expect losing a mom at that age (probably unexpectedly) is especially tough.

756183[/snapback]

Exactly, give him a break and let him take his time. Not like it matters but last I checked he was our 4th or 5th corner at this point and while his development is important, it's not going to happen if his mind is elsewhere. Let the guy be with his family.

That was my first thought when it was announced that he was going home to bury his mom.  Cultural difference (or religious) play into these sorts of events heavily.  Someone of faith (whatever that faith may be) will respond differently depending on who has passed.

If he is cut by the Bills because of this, I will personally root for him to turn into a great player.  Yes, it's a business and the Bills have to think that way, but I would hate to see that happen.  He's young, he's barely out of his parents home, and now he's lost his mom.  It's not affecting us the way it's affect him.  We feel bad (for him or for the Bills) -- while OTOH this has probably turned his world upside down.

756341[/snapback]

If he got cut for something like this (and he won't) I will personally drive to Buffalo and kick Marv, Ralph, and Jauron in the nutts.

I was waiting for someone to post this kind of response as soon as I heard his Mother died and it seemed like he wasn't going to come back in a day or two.

My Mom passed away a month ago almost to the day.  It was all I could do to hold myself together for the plane ride home and the subsequent days.  Needless to say it was the hardest thing I have ever gone through - and I still find it difficult to get through parts of the day.  Sometimes I think the pain will never go away.

How dare you or anyone else judge how someone should respond to the death of a loved one - especially a Mother, for which for many will be the most anguished, personal grief they will ever know. 

Stick to commenting about football.

756179[/snapback]

Couldn't have put it better....

Basically with all the time Youboty missed with a hamstring injury BEFORE his mom's death, not to mention the late exam schedule at OSU, he was way behind. This puts him behind even further. But he was a 3rd round pick and his roster spot is safe. It will be a redshirt year for him, and they don't exactly need him, so I think they're giving him as much time as he needs. Hopefully it doesn't turn out to be another Mike Williams situation.

Wow, I had no idea my very first post would cause so much controversy. It seemed like good points all around so thanks to you all for that. I don't think anybody truly put football ahead of family in thier posts and for that I am thankful.

Hopefully we'll see Youboty on the field soon. In the meatime I'm sure we all wish him and his family peace.

My Dad died 20 years ago. I am still not over it.

He should take as much time as he needs.

I have all the confidence in the world that DJ and Marv are not going to hold it against the kid that he has spent a couple of weeks with his family after one of the worst things that can happen to a person.

God bless his mother, him, and his family.

Not to be insensitive, but other people have lost parents and have gotten back to work in a few days.  In fact, it's often what helps them get their mind off their grief.  So I am wondering what is going on with Youboty.  There must be other things that aren't being discussed, like maybe family issues.

PTR

756147[/snapback]

From early reports, I thought there were two deaths in the family because Jauron said Aston would take awhile to get back. I guess only his mother passed but that doesn't make it any less painful.

Put it this way: If Ashton Youboty were Jabari Greer, Eric King, Kiwaukee Thomas, James Bethea, or Jim Leonard, etc, he would probably be back by now and playing, because he needed to be for a roster spot. I would bet that Jauron told him to take as long as you need, your spot on the team is assured (being a 3rd round pick with a huge upside) and not expected to play right away because Greer and King are ahead of him. His mother is from Liberia. I would assume there are difficult arrangements.