Katrina A Year Later

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They were congratulating themselves a year ago as the city was flooding.

It'd be "great job covering the devastation" and the next story would be about the piles of bodies at the Superdome, the children being raped, and the survivors turning to cannibalism to survive.  Not to mention the reporter woman in the canoe in 6 inches of water.

But, yeah, the media is really trustworthy.  :D

756228[/snapback]

Oh, no doubt they were full of bunk 1 year ago. But at least when they were actually exaggerating and making stuff up about, er I mean "covering", the event, they didn't know (I will give them credit they probably don't deserve and say they didn't know) just how wrong they were when they were congratulating themselves.

Doing it a year after the fact when it's obvious that they screwed up nearly as bad as Mr. Nagin did, IMHO is worse. (Not saying it wasn't bad back then, (I'm pretty sure I was saying it was bad back then and) it was, just saying that I think this is worse.)

Oh, no doubt they were full of bunk 1 year ago.  But at least when they were actually exaggerating and making stuff up about, er I mean "covering", the event, they didn't know (I will give them credit they probably don't deserve and say they didn't know) just how wrong they were when they were congratulating themselves.

Doing it a year after the fact when it's obvious that they screwed up nearly as bad as Mr. Nagin did, IMHO is worse.  (Not saying it wasn't bad back then, (I'm pretty sure I was saying it was bad back then and) it was, just saying that I think this is worse.)

756426[/snapback]

Oh, it's definitely worse because (as KRC pointed out) most of these looks back are about the reporters' experiences. And like you said, now they KNOW (or should if they have a clue) that they did a terrible job but still try to sell people this idea that they did a great job.

There's a scientific study out now that reports taller people are smarter.

You don't strike me as an outlier.

756641[/snapback]

a couple of my coworkers were talking about that study today and making jokes because i'm only 5'7. so i walked up to each of them, looked up at them dead in the eye and asked which one of us was smarter

my informal poll found that in 100% of the sample, the shorter person was smarter

This whole "One Year Later" thingy is more about he media's own self-importance than it is about the event itself. It is to the point of being nauseating. It is one thing to see whether there is progress in rebuilding, but I am seeing more and more stories about how the media covered the event, the impact of the media on the event, how great the media was during the event, personal diaries of the reporters who covered the event, etc. The event itself is secondary.

756124[/snapback]

This is the reason why I couldn't give a sh-- about the 'anniversary'. I'm not going to sit through the media circle jerk to hear what's going on down there.

If trees really weakened the levees, there is only one logical and rational explanation

755882[/snapback]

Albert Einstein once said something along the line of: ''If you keep doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result each time, that's a sign of mental illness.....

You build below sea level or in a 100 year flood plain you get no money to rebuild.

Tough decision when it's N.O's and a vital port in america.

Albert Einstein once said something along the line of: ''If you keep doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result each time, that's a sign of mental illness.....

757093[/snapback]

Close...

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

Like reading cromagnum's posts and expecting them to make sense?   :D

757225[/snapback]

:angry::):w00t:

Grammar errors? quilty?

My motha, was the best at insults. I got freckles, and when I was a wee bit of lad, I asked her how come I got brown spots on my arm and on my face...

She said that when I pooed in the toilet I would thow rocks in after I pooed, to sink the floating brown boats, and it splased back on me, my own fault :D

And when I asked whats for dinner, she said sh1t on a stick :D

Or if I asked her where and when are we going to eat, she said: Up mikes, down jakes, where they sell the belly aches, is she a mazzhole b1tch??

Hey EII were you in this area in new orleans? This is where GWB was last year, when he personaly explored the damage from the hurricane/flood..

You can see the people next to him and the high flood waters, and actual fish floating down the streets...

http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/o/...ion_fishing.jpg

755830[/snapback]

That photo is in such poor taste......everyone knows silver bass are freshwater fish!!

That photo is in such poor taste......everyone knows silver bass are freshwater fish!!

757362[/snapback]

Thats actually brackish, missisippi river, pontchatrain lake and the gulf of mexico in downtown N.O's...I catch stripers off the mass coast on plum island and newburyport, they can get to 60lb's or more I weighed my best catch at 9lb's....And at marky's seafood restaraunt in seabrook N.H. on the blackwater tidal river there are schoolies and lunkers that you can observe from the lounging deck, toss french fries,lobster heads and leftovers over the side they go into a feeding frenzy! I know your joshing? :)

Thats actually brackish, missisippi river, pontchatrain lake and the gulf of mexico in downtown N.O's...I catch stripers off the mass coast on plum island and newburyport, they can get to 60lb's or more I weighed  my best catch at 9lb's....And at marky's seafood restaraunt in seabrook N.H. on the  blackwater tidal river there are schoolies and lunkers that you can observe from the lounging deck, toss  french fries,lobster heads and leftovers over the side they go into a feeding frenzy! I know your joshing? :)

757373[/snapback]

I believe you should recieve royalties from the syndication of "Cheers". That was a definite Clavinism

I pulled this out of CroMags link:

FOUNDATION FAILURE

The cause of breaches on the 17th Street and London Avenue canals remains a mystery. Over-dredging in the 17th Street Canal may have removed lining sediments near the floodwall’s sheet-pile wall, allowing water to percolate through deep levee soils. Swimming pools and other structures built too close to the barrier may have compromised its integrity by compressing its foundation.

Who knows?... Does he like to swim in a pool

:)

755885[/snapback]

Hey EII and UCONN and any other interested poster I found a history channel link ON THE LEVEES and whatnot.

http://www.history.com/shows.do?episodeld=...68action=detail

In the Popular Mechanics piece, did you guys happen to notice it's written by one Benjamin Chertoff?

That's right. His cousin is Michael Chertoff, secretary of Homeland Defense. He also wrote PM's 'Debunking 9/11' piece.

I don't mean to say that Benjamin can't earn himself a living by writing. But you DON'T have him write a piece that purports to dissect the real problems of two of the biggest disasters in our history when his cousin is the one heading the department (Understood that HS was not around until after 9/11, and MC appointed later, it does reflect on the department). And that there's a lot of issues completely missing from the pieces... it begs the question. Was this piece bought and paid for by the govt too?

When the media claims to be telling the Truth, do they smell the stench of their own bullsh-- as they prop up the establishment? When our leaders slam against other countries like pre-war Iraq, Russia, etc. for propaganda news that raises an eyebrow at best and is dubious at worst b/c of connections b/w the writer and said leaders.... don't they realize that when they do the SAME FUGGIN' THING, they come off as liars, hypoocrites and tyrants? Or do they (I guess correctly) assume that people are too tired from working their 60-hour a week jobs to really care that much? How are we different from every other country we view as bad b/c of the pervasiveness of their thought control over their people? We feel better than them b/c we have a piece of paper saying "Bill of Rights"?

There's no such thing as credibility anymore. It is an alien concept.

756055[/snapback]

So goes American history... Didn't the Adam's take different sides on the trial of the British soldiers who committed "The Boston Masacre?" One would (I think Sam) go on to embellish the act to the rallying cry in American history... The other would get the soldiers off the rap...

Any help CroMag?... And no throwing snowballs, you belligerent Bostonian!

:lol::lol: