LMAO @ Martin Nance

Lv-Bills

MAC WR's don't do squat in the NFL. The TBD "experts" whiffed big time on all the Martin Nance theories. Again, MAC WR's never make it in the NFL. And Nance wasn't even the best in the conference even when Big Ben was there.

Now, QB's......and special teamers from the MAC......now that's a different story.

But Nance........."Swing and a miss, strike three"

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

MAC WR's don't do squat in the NFL.  The TBD "experts" whiffed big time on all the Martin Nance theories.  Again, MAC WR's never make it in the NFL.  And Nance wasn't even the best in the conference even when Big Ben was there. 

Now, QB's......and special teamers from the MAC......now that's a different story.

But Nance........."Swing and a miss, strike three"

753917[/snapback]

That's some good horn tooting

That's some good horn tooting

753921[/snapback]

Isn't it though? I'll take it. We had a Miami of Ohio homer or Alum or student or something in here, telling me how good Nance was back right after the draft. Insisting that Nance was by far superior to any other WR in the MAC, despite a player named Dante Ridgeway from Ball State catching over 100 balls and being invited to the college football awards as a finalist for the Biletnikoff award.

I explained at the time, that MAC WR's, even Ridgeway, never make it. Never. That includes all of Pennington, Leftwich, Culpeppers, Gradkowski's, Frye's, Omar Jacobs and Josh Harris' WR's too. Not to mention Ridgeway, who was drafted and cut by SL before joining and being cut by NY. The only exception, was pretty much Randy Moss.

MAC skill positions, outside of QB, rarely ever pan out in the NFL. They have put a few backup RB's in the league, but rarely WR's outside of Randy Moss.

Nance was a big time internet creation.

Sorry, I was just frustrated at the Miami dude.

practice squad cut.  done early while teams don't have long to look at other teams' cuts.

753923[/snapback]

Yeah, ok. So, you don't think other teams have GM's or assistants or scouts who scour the waiver wire the minute they come out? I'm not saying the Bills won't get Nance back.....however, if someone likes Nance, he'll be scooped up by tomorrow. This, the Bills are "sneaking" him through theory is about as far fetched as Nance becoming the Bills next tall redzone target.

Isn't it though?  I'll take it.  We had a Miami of Ohio homer or Alum or student or something in here, telling me how good Nance was back right after the draft.  Insisting that Nance was by far superior to any other WR in the MAC, despite a player named Dante Ridgeway from Ball State catching over 100 balls and being invited to the college football awards as a finalist for the Biletnikoff award. 

I explained at the time, that MAC WR's, even Ridgeway, never make it.  Never.  That includes all of Pennington, Leftwich, Culpeppers, Gradkowski's, Frye's, Omar Jacobs and Josh Harris' WR's too.  Not to mention Ridgeway, who was drafted and cut by SL before joining and being cut by NY.  The only exception, was pretty much Randy Moss.

MAC skill positions, outside of QB, rarely ever pan out in the NFL.  They have put a few backup RB's in the league, but rarely WR's outside of Randy Moss.

753930[/snapback]

Well, they are not a big-time conference. Top high-schoolers want to attend big names like USC, OSU, MIA-Fl and the like. Why criticize the conference for simply being what it is? :devil:

Yeah, ok.  So, you don't think other teams have GM's or assistants or scouts who scour the waiver wire the minute they come out?  I'm not saying the Bills won't get Nance back.....however, if someone likes Nance, he'll be scooped up by tomorrow.  This, the Bills are "sneaking" him through theory is about as far fetched as Nance becoming the Bills next tall redzone target.

753933[/snapback]

Sure they do, but they will spend that roster spot on a guy they think can come in and contribute. Every team has its own projects. They are not going to take on another's. He can fit on our PS and as has been repeated around here, he is only going to get picked up for another team's roster -- not their PS. You could probably have said the same kind of crap about our current starting RT when he was cut a few years ago, signed to the PS, and developed.

People never get sick of instant gratification, though.

I will note that Greg Jennings played his college ball at Western Michigan University and is going to see a ton of snaps in GB this year. Tony Schieffler (also from WMU) was a second round pick of the Broncos and has had a good pre-season as well. It is difficult to project a player based upon the conference he played in, a guy can either play or he can't. I know very little about Nance but if he doesn't do well it will be because he doesn't have the ability to play in the NFL, not because he played in the MAC.

This, the Bills are "sneaking" him through theory is about as far fetched as Nance becoming the Bills next tall redzone target.

753933[/snapback]

Worked for our starting ORT a few years ago...and he was a much higher profile player, to boot.

Well, they are not a big-time conference.  Top high-schoolers want to attend big names like USC, OSU, MIA-Fl and the like. Why criticize the conference for simply being what it is?  :devil:

753941[/snapback]

I'm not criticizing the conference for what it is. I actually played baseball in the MAC. And, in fact, I'm an avid supporter for MAC football. It was just kind of laughable though in what people made of Nance. The MAC has excellent and innovative offensive coaches. They have had a run of fantastic QB's. However, there WR's have been second rate for a long time. When the wideouts do get a chance in the pro's, they haven't been able to make the leap. Now, all of a sudden, Nance was going to do it with the Bills when the MAC's most dominant WR since Randy Moss was drafted a year earlier and couldn't stick with the Rams or Jets?

I love the MAC, and it's actually better than people think it is. Especially the top tiered teams. Bowling Green, Miami, Toledo, Northern Illinois have all been top 30 college programs in recent years. If you sleep on the top tiered MAC teams, you'll lose games. And a lot of big time programs have lost to the upper MAC teams.

However, the skill positions on offense, and the bottom tiered MAC teams like Buffalo, Kent, Ball State, and Eastern Michigan are horrid.

You have to be careful who you give hype to. But, the track record for MAC wideouts is long and tested.....they don't make it in the NFL.

Isn't it though?  I'll take it.  We had a Miami of Ohio homer or Alum or student or something in here, telling me how good Nance was back right after the draft.  Insisting that Nance was by far superior to any other WR in the MAC, despite a player named Dante Ridgeway from Ball State catching over 100 balls and being invited to the college football awards as a finalist for the Biletnikoff award. 

I explained at the time, that MAC WR's, even Ridgeway, never make it.  Never.  That includes all of Pennington, Leftwich, Culpeppers, Gradkowski's, Frye's, Omar Jacobs and Josh Harris' WR's too.  Not to mention Ridgeway, who was drafted and cut by SL before joining and being cut by NY.  The only exception, was pretty much Randy Moss.

MAC skill positions, outside of QB, rarely ever pan out in the NFL.  They have put a few backup RB's in the league, but rarely WR's outside of Randy Moss.

753930[/snapback]

It would seem incomprehensibly dumb, short-sighted, and counter-productive for a NFL scout, coach or GM to watch a player in person, on film, at the combine and in private and team workouts, like what they see, think he has the ability to play in the NFL, and then say, "But very few WRs ever make it out of the MAC conference. If he was a QB we would take a look at him because a bunch of those guys did." It makes no sense at all. You're looking at a coincidence and calling it a trend or a truism.

Granted, they are most likely playing in the MAC because they couldn't play at a bigger college, so the chances of them exceling on Sundays is very small to begin with. But he had a chance and he just didn't produce. I still think he will likely end up on someone's PS because they see his potential.

753930[/snapback]

Wow, you were right! You are simply the best! Congrats! :devil:

You have never been high on a player who has been cut or never materialized into anything? ;)

Sure they do, but they will spend that roster spot on a guy they think can come in and contribute.  Every team has its own projects.  They are not going to take on another's.  He can fit on our PS and as has been repeated around here, he is only going to get picked up for another team's roster -- not their PS.  You could probably have said the same kind of crap about our current starting RT when he was cut a few years ago, signed to the PS, and developed.

People never get sick of instant gratification, though.

753943[/snapback]

And again, you're totally guessing based on nothing. Nance is out there with a week and half left until teams first games. Yeah, he could be on the practice squad. Matter of fact, I hope he is. However, if he's worth anything, he'll get picked up by someone.

The only factual info out there is that he's not good enough. He's another long line of MAC wideouts with high catch numbers alongside a great QB in college, who isn't good enough to make it.

Peters is another animal all together, with athleticism and from a major conference. Nance probably lacks skills to get open against highly talented defenders. Peters never lacked that skill. He was just without a position initially.

Wow, you were right!  You are simply the best!  Congrats!  :devil:

You have never been high on a player who has been cut or never materialized into anything?  ;)

753967[/snapback]

No, he is a football genius in the LaDairis mold who is fighting away NFL contracts with a stick.

It would seem incomprehensibly dumb, short-sighted, and counter-productive for a NFL scout, coach or GM to watch a player in person, on film, at the combine and in private and team workouts, like what they see, think he has the ability to play in the NFL, and then say, "But very few WRs ever make it out of the MAC conference. If he was a QB we would take a look at him because a bunch of those guys did." It makes no sense at all. You're looking at a coincidence and calling it a trend or a truism.

Granted, they are most likely playing in the MAC because they couldn't play at a bigger college, so the chances of them exceling on Sundays is very small to begin with. But he had a chance and he just didn't produce. I still think he will likely end up on someone's PS because they see his potential.

753962[/snapback]

No, all I'm just sticking to the trusim that almost all of them are never skilled enough. To show people's ignorance of the MAC, you have a guy like Martin Nance. Nance was a good MAC wideout, but there have been a ton of WR's just as good, and a handful of wideouts much better than Nance that didn't make it. Nance had size over all of them. However, there have been better wideouts recently in the MAC that were better that didn't go anywhere in the pros.

In all fairness, no one would really know this unless you came from a MAC school like a few of us. But there have been failed MAC wideouts in big numbers over the last five years. Nance is just another one. Up to this point, they have been second rate WR's compared to big conference wideouts.

Everyone is acting shocked, but if you look around the league, all of the other MAC wideouts have pretty much been cut from their NFL teams over the last five years also.

They don't pan out.

No, all I'm just sticking to the trusim that almost all of them are never skilled enough.  To show people's ignorance of the MAC, you have a guy like Martin Nance.  Nance was a good MAC wideout, but there have been a ton of WR's just as good, and a handful of wideouts much better than Nance that didn't make it.  Nance had size over all of them.  However, there have been better wideouts recently in the MAC that were better that didn't go anywhere in the pros. 

In all fairness, no one would really know this unless you came from a MAC school like a few of us.  But there have been failed MAC wideouts in big numbers over the last five years.  Nance is just another one.  Up to this point, they have been second rate WR's compared to big conference wideouts.

Everyone is acting shocked, but if you look around the league, all of the other MAC wideouts have pretty much been cut from their NFL teams over the last five years also. 

They don't pan out.

753984[/snapback]

You offer a lot of interesting evidence, but I really want to know: Did the MAC kick your dog or something? You seem to have devoted a lot of energy to crapping on it.

Wait, are you a UB grad? That would explain a hostility to the MAC.... :devil:

I still think he will likely end up on someone's PS because they see his potential.

753962[/snapback]

Don't know where they'd see the potential. Scouts can't attend free training camps I've heard and there isn't a bit of pre-season film on him. If he goes to Bills PS he'll stay there awhile is my prediction.