Rebuilding year?

Dibs

I've read a lot of posts recently refering to this being a rebuilding year.

Why?

On Defense we will be starting 4 new starters.

2 rookies(assuming Whitner starts)

1 FA

1 elevated talent

On Offense we will be starting 4 new starters.

4 FAs

There is new coach/management but I find it hard to imagine they are thinking they are 'rebuilding' for the future. They are building for now. Marv said it appears like a rebuild year. He didn't say it is a rebuild year.

There has been no wholesale gutting of the roster.

Rebuilding implies starting again from scratch. From what I see, the blocks for the future are falling into place with quite a few of them being already on the roster. Everything points towards a fundamentally sound team....not an all out rebuild.

Obviously certain areas are lacking, but if they weren't, we would be contenders wouldn't we. :blink:

Why?

1 FA

1 elevated talent

4 FAs

There is new coach/management but I find it hard to imagine they are thinking they are 'rebuilding' for the future.  They are building for now.  Marv said it appears like a rebuild year.  He didn't say it is a rebuild year.

Rebuilding implies starting again from scratch.  From what I see, the blocks for the future are falling into place with quite a few of them being already on the roster.  Everything points towards a fundamentally sound team....not an all out rebuild. 

Obviously certain areas are lacking, but if they weren't, we would be contenders wouldn't we. :blink:

752887[/snapback]

I think the Bills will be fine this year. I think it will take them a couple of games to get things under control, and like Promo said, i think they will catch fire after the bye.

Agree 100% This is like the 2004 team, except with more potential at the QB position. We will have the #1 ST unit in the league, our defense will be solid all year, and the offense good enough to keep pace. We might not be fast out of the gates; but I'm expecting to be competitive over the length of the season.

Why?

1 FA

1 elevated talent

4 FAs

There is new coach/management but I find it hard to imagine they are thinking they are 'rebuilding' for the future.  They are building for now.  Marv said it appears like a rebuild year.  He didn't say it is a rebuild year.

Rebuilding implies starting again from scratch.  From what I see, the blocks for the future are falling into place with quite a few of them being already on the roster.  Everything points towards a fundamentally sound team....not an all out rebuild. 

752887[/snapback]

We play like rookies or very over-the-hill vets with all those unforced errors. I just hope these things don't appear starting September.

It's not a "rebuilding year" in the sense that the Bills will be worse than last year.  No way do they lose 11 or more games this year.  But the playoffs are still probably at least a year away.

752914[/snapback]

Playoffs, PLAYOFFS! We're just trying to win a game here; and you're talking about PLAYOFFS!

Sorry i just had to take it.

It just sucks the early games are Division games.If we falter out of the gate,we can kiss any hope (not that we have a lot) of a wildcard goodbye.I like what has been done so far...another good draft and offseason and i think we contend for the AFC East crown.

Why?

1 FA

1 elevated talent

4 FAs

752887[/snapback]

Oh come on everyone, the Bills are absolutely rebuilding. Let's hope they do a good job of it.

Oh come on everyone, the Bills are absolutely rebuilding.  Let's hope they do a good job of it.

752990[/snapback]

Hmmm, standing pat at or using existing talent at...

CB1

CB2

FS

OLB1

MLB

OLB2

DE

DE

RG

LT

RT

WR1

FB

RB

QB

Obviously we are rebuilding. :blink:

add to that...

K

P

KR

PR

LS

Yep, GM & Coach obviously feel that the existing talent needs to be wiped & a rebuild is well under way. :blink:

We play like rookies or very over-the-hill vets with all those unforced errors.  I just hope these things don't appear starting September.

752912[/snapback]

Why so glum, Skippy?

I recall someone from the team commenting that it's not a rebuilding year. It's a building year.

You're going to make mistakes with all the new stuff going on, and those mistakes are going to happen in September. And you're probably going to be disappointed.

Ask yourself this: do you really think the team could go all the way this year? Do you? Of course not, because anything beyond actually making the playoffs...even backing into them...would be a minor miracle and you'd take whatever happened after that, right?

Right.

What you're looking for is progression as the season wears on. Are we getting better? Do you see improvements on all sides of the ball? By the end of this year, is the list of things we need to correct considerably shorter than the list we had this year?

Stop pissing in your own Cheerios and enjoy the game, wouldja?

My feeling is that this club will have "some" growing pains, but the excitement generated will be palpable for any Bills fan! I don't think its out of the realm of possibility that quite a few of the "questions" will be answered in the affirmative. Usually, it takes a new regime a full year to reap rewards, and the Bills probably won't be any different. The upcoming season holds PLENTY of ups and downs, but that gets my attention. I'd say 7-9, but 9-7 isn't out of the question!

Everything points towards a fundamentally sound team....

752887[/snapback]

I was with you on the entire post until I hit that line. I think we are getting towards that but we are not there yet.....Fundamental sound teams don't

make mental and stupid mistakes and get penalties at the worst time....

Our current team has not been able to avoid that.....Yesterdays delay

of game penalty, the penalty to wipeout the TD, the penalty that gave a

FG to the browns, penalties 3 in a row to push us back into our own endzone....

The coaching staff needs to really drill this into the team....They have to

be mentally tough not to make such mistakes....If we get that working, we

should be a good team.

I was with you on the entire post until I hit that line.  I think we are getting towards that but we are not there yet.....Fundamental sound teams don't

make mental and stupid mistakes and get penalties at the worst time....

Our current team has not been able to avoid that.....Yesterdays delay

of game penalty, the penalty to wipeout the TD, the penalty that gave a

FG to the browns, penalties 3 in a row to push us back into our own endzone....

The coaching staff needs to really drill this into the team....They have to

be mentally tough not to make such mistakes....If we get that working, we

should be a good team.

753091[/snapback]

No argument from me on that....fingers crossed DJ will put some focus into this team.