Any optimism out there for JP?

Trip

I haven't been around this site in some time and I'm just curious if anyone has much hope for JP this season.

If we can take anything out of his year in '05, as miserable it was, I think he did show that he's a QB that (1) will throw the ball down the field an adequate amount and (2) he won't throw many picks.

A lot of other good young QB's, most as a matter of fact, throw a lot of INT's early in their careers, yet JP didn't do that last year. He also has a history of not throwing many picks in college.

So as long as he can show steady improvement in his completion percentage, he should have a good year. It may seem like stating the obvious (completing passes makes you a good QB) but I don't think a 60% completion rate for Kelly Holcomb would necessarily mean it would help the Bills that much, yet if JP can hit at that rate, I think it will be a very, very good season for him.

In his first preseason game, he hit 62% with 3 completions called back due to penalties and 2 drops.

I think if he has another game against the Bengals where he hits about 55%+, I'm optimistic for JP. Because like I said, he won't throw a lot of picks and he will have at least a decent yards per completion rate.

Anyone else think he will be at least an average starting QB this year?

I haven't been around this site in some time and I'm just curious if anyone has much hope for JP this season. 

745777[/snapback]

It's only 80% of what we've talked about here for the last 3 months :lol:

If we can take anything out of his year in '05, as miserable it was, I think he did show that he's a QB that (1) will throw the ball down the field an adequate amount and (2) he won't throw many picks.

A lot of other good young QB's, most as a matter of fact, throw a lot of INT's early in their careers, yet JP didn't do that last year. He also has a history of not throwing many picks in college. 

745777[/snapback]

These points have been made about 1017 times. I am not downing you - you said you haven't been around so i am merely trying to catch u up.

So as long as he can show steady improvement in his completion percentage, he should have a good year. It may seem like stating the obvious (completing passes makes you a good QB) but I don't think a 60% completion rate for Kelly Holcomb would necessarily mean it would help the Bills that much, yet if JP can hit at that rate, I think it will be a very, very good season for him. 

745777[/snapback]

A point on this. (Not directed at you but the KHomers out there)I am tired of hearing about KH completion percentage. He only threw 230 times last year. In contrast, Brett Favre threw 602 times. The same reason we should not acknowledge KH comp. % is the same reason the NFL didn't acknowledge Roscoe Parrish as the league leader in punt return yards - you have to have enough attempts to qualify. Is is not a fair comparison when something is done 2.5 to 3 times more by one guy than the other guy. This whole thing comes from KC Joyner's dopey analysis - a post about that is somewhere on this board. If we believe KC - then Kyle Boller is the best QB in the league. :) The guy needs to take a statistics class. Anyway, statistics don't lie, but good liars use statistics. :D

In his first preseason game, he hit 62% with 3 completions called back due to penalties and 2 drops.

I think if he has another game against the Bengals where he hits about 55%+, I'm optimistic for JP. Because like I said, he won't throw a lot of picks and he will have at least a decent yards per completion rate.

Anyone else think he will be at least an average starting QB this year?

745777[/snapback]

So far - it seems like most of us agree he should get a shot this year(Homers and haters) to start and not get pulled in an effort to cover the coaches behind - like last year. This way we know what we have - a gamer or a loser.

Other than that there is a wide array of opinion. Most of the Holcombers have disappeared since last Saturday. And, while I think JP has gotten some to get off the fence and support him, most people are waiting to see what happens tomorrow.

As for me, I think the guy has battled a ton of adversity so far with better than average results. I think we will all be pleasantly surprised with this guy. He has tons of upside - he just needs to get over the abuse from last year and on to winning, one snap at a time

GO BILLS!!!

Coaching, both from a head coach and a coordinator (and even a QB coach and in our case even a quality control coach), has a much greater affect on players and their play than any other sport. And quarterback more than any other position. JP was date raped by his own coaching last year (with the exception of Sam Wyche). He didn't help his cause with stellar play, in fact, he was obviously piss poor at times. And we have no idea what kind of coaches that Jauron and Fairchild, as well as Shonert and AVP, are going to be.

But if they are good, and they look good to me, that will have almost as big an affect on JP's play than JP and his maturity (or lackthereof) himself. Ultimately, the dude has to make plays. But he's very capable of it. And how he is handled and coached will go a long way IMO to help him settle down and let his terrific athletic talent take over.

And quarterback more than any other position. JP was date raped by his own coaching last year (with the exception of Sam Wyche).

Yep. And if he was date raped by his coaching staff, it was some selfish, short-sighted teammates that spiked the drink.

But if they are good, and they look good to me, that will have almost as big an affect on JP's play than JP and his maturity (or lackthereof) himself.

745789[/snapback]

I think about another 2 years of seasoning is necessary for JP to mature to a level where he could be a top 5 QB. I'm prepared to give him 2 more years, at odds with most on this board who feel he has to perform at a high level this year or else.

I think about another 2 years of seasoning is necessary for JP to mature to a level where he could be a top 5 QB.  I'm prepared to give him 2 more years, at odds with most on this board who feel he has to perform at a high level this year or else.

745792[/snapback]

I think people will be very pleased if he does three things:

1. Doesn't make a lot of really bad mistakes where he turns the ball over at horrible times and/or misses easy plays that should have been scores.

2. Shows improvement of standing in the pocket and making good reads/decisions.

3. Eeks out a couple wins even when he isn't playing all that well by making just enough plays to win (or not lose if the defense steps up).

We could be 8-8 and a lot of fans would be very pleased with him. That is not to say 8-8 is great, or that we should settle. But with a new GM, new coach, new coordinators, a lot of new young players, a green QB and few true stars, this year we cannot realistically expect a playoff team. It's possible, it's just not likely.

Here is some rare national media love from KC Joyner expressed during today's ESPN chat:

Aaron (NYC): I think the Bills will surprise a lot of people this year...JP looks good and so does our revamped tampa 2 defense...what do you think?

KC Joyner: (4:55 PM ET ) Finally a Bills question! Losman gives the Bills a ton of upside over Holcomb, especially in the vertical game. If Losman keeps progressing I think Buffalo could be a darkhorse wildcard contender this year.

Losman should only visit the sidelines, due to injury. Otherwise, it's 16 starts.

Lots of swing passes to Willis and quick hitters to Royal will help his confidence. Plus set up the bombs to Evans downfield. It's all a dream at this point. We'll see.

Here is some rare national media love from KC Joyner expressed during today's ESPN chat:

Aaron (NYC): I think the Bills will surprise a lot of people this year...JP looks good and so does our revamped tampa 2 defense...what do you think?

KC Joyner: (4:55 PM ET ) Finally a Bills question! Losman gives the Bills a ton of upside over Holcomb, especially in the vertical game. If Losman keeps progressing I think Buffalo could be a darkhorse wildcard contender this year.

745828[/snapback]

His pass "accuracy" system is awful, but it's nice to hear KC giving us something, however small, to look forward to....

I have a lot of hope for JP to lead the Bills. Hopefully, he takes over the reins and takes a leadership role.

Last year, Mularkey and crew really mishandled their young QB. Handing him the job did not endear him to many veterans, apparently.

I like the way Dick Jauron is handling the team so far, it's a far cry from the "Meathead" approach of 2005.

I like the way Dick Jauron is handling the team so far, it's a far cry from the "Meathead" approach of 2005.

745908[/snapback]

Trying to get a straight answer from MM or TD was an exercise in futility. What a breath of fresh air Jauron seems to be.

The Bills were a bigger clusterf**k than anyone realized last year. If I were Ralph Wilson, I'd be asking Mike Mullarkey for his salary back. A chimp couldn't have done a worse job. Every facet of the team, from developing a young QB to maintaining focus, went horribly wrong.

Watch and see how different JP and the Bills will be this year.

PTR

The Bills were a bigger clusterf**k than anyone realized last year.  If I were Ralph Wilson, I'd be asking Mike Mullarkey for his salary back.  A chimp couldn't have done a worse job.  Every facet of the team, from developing a young QB to maintaining focus, went horribly wrong.

PTR

745917[/snapback]

The irony is they wanted Mularkey back and tried like hell to keep him.

It's funny how Bledsoe comes here and in spite of a host of issues and identifiable shortcomings in his play everyone thinks that he's gonna lead us to the Super Bowl. But when we have a guy like Losman is here expectations are very low generally speaking.

I'm pretty damn optimistic about his play. The question is can he play behind a line. The question should be is there any optimism for our line? McNally this and McNally that, McNally Schmally! He's another feel good story that needs to leave like the others.

It's interesting how what would normally be talk of how a player will develop into a Pro Bowler has now turned into whether he can even survive in this league or will offer anything at all.

The Bills were a bigger clusterf**k than anyone realized last year.  If I were Ralph Wilson, I'd be asking Mike Mullarkey for his salary back.  A chimp couldn't have done a worse job.  Every facet of the team, from developing a young QB to maintaining focus, went horribly wrong.

PTR

745917[/snapback]

You may be saying the same thing about Jauron soon.

All we've heard is what a great guy he is, how the players like him and will play for him, as if we haven't heard that a zillion times before, and how he made a great move by cutting a player (Posey) that got no real interest anywhere else and is now playing for a fraction of his old salary on another team for veteran minimum on a one year contract as a third stringer. But everyone in Buffalo is somehow impressed with that cut.

If Jauron takes heat, then so will Levy.

Meanwhile, how good are some of the biggest money acquisitions and trade up draftees looking now? McCargo? Price at a huge price tag. Tripplett? Royal?

Do they look worth the money? Not to me. For one, I sure as hell thinnk we could have gotten a much better and younger WR than Price for $10M and a decent signing bonus.