Give JP Time to Develop: Hasselback Example

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writ...card/index.html

This Peter King article on Matt Hasselback reminded me so much of what we are seeing with JP right now....made me even more pissed off that the team wasted so much of last season with Holcomb when JP could have been developing. Bottom line, it takes QBs awhile to develop and JP has not been given this time yet...but we are finally seeing signs of encouragement:

On the field during the two-hour morning practice, Hasselbeck was the picture of confidence, talking more as a peer of offensive coordinator Gil Haskell than a student. That's how well he knows this offense now, after nearly a decade with Holmgren or his disciples. A couple of times he looked at his third (maybe, I thought one time, even his fourth) option in a pass route, never looking uptight or hurried, even with traffic around him.

I recall when he first took the Seattle quarterback job in 2001, you'd watch him drop back from center and think: God, where's the fire drill? Why is this guy in such a hurry? His drop was hurried, his read of the defense was hurried, his throw -- too often -- was hurried. What resulted was a season in which he completed 55 percent of his passes and had a minus-1 touchdown-to-interception ratio. Last year, at 30, Hasselbeck was so much more comfy as a player and leader. His numbers: 66 percent completions, plus-15 in touchdowns-to-picks ratio.

Watching practice, GM Ruskell said: "He's in the prime of his career. And he's so comfortable in his own skin.''

While you're @ it, give 'em Shaun Alexander to run the ball, Walter Jones to anchor a rock solid offensive line, and Mike Holmgren to not only believe in him enough to trade for him, but to stick w/ him when he's not doing well and continue to coach him up to where he's ready.

Not much to ask for @ all.

I can't wait until JP gets there.  He looked like a deer in headlights for a lot of last season.

744481[/snapback]

I hope Dick Juron and Marv Levy are patient and get him through a full season giving him the confidence and chance to correct his mistakes...

I hope veterans like Fletcher/Vincent/TkO don't go around pushing the staff around to make a change at the QB position, when they themselves did nothing of use on the field....

I hope the fans are patient with the growing pains to go through with JP...

Teams like Seattle, Cincinnatti, Jacksonville, all stuck with them and it is paying big dividends....

Even Alex SMith who had the worst rating last year is turning around after being in the system for a year and having Norv Turner coaching him.....

DJ should just call of this farce of a competition and tell his team as it is....

Ryan Leaf

Chris Weinke

Joey Harrington

Ramsay

744575[/snapback]

Oh, I'd definitely put Patrick Ramsey on that list. It's not like Washington drafted a QB in the first round after taking Ramsey, or sign a veteran free agent to put over him, either.

The prime example of this fan impatience phenomena is Brett Favre sincr Tampa gave up on this eventual HOF QB and shipped him off to Green Bay. They also did the same with Steve Young as many or most fans declared them losers as well.

Lest we be too hard on TBm they learned their lesson that fans and teams often give up on QBs capable of leading a team to an SB win by acquiring two time loser Brad Johnson to QB them to the promised land.

I think the general object lesson from this is that it is generally not a smart move to take a QB in the 1st round unless you also plan to do a fan transplant which ain't gonna happen. In fact, fans so overvalue the draft that the best advice seems to be to trade down any first round choice you get to get players who are proven to produce or to get more picks lower down so you can have a better chance at building a winning team.

The prime example of this fan impatience phenomena is Brett Favre sincr Tampa gave up on this eventual HOF QB and shipped him off to Green Bay.  They also did the same with Steve Young as many or most fans declared them losers as well.

Lest we be too hard on TBm they learned their lesson that fans and teams often give up on QBs capable of leading a team to an SB win by acquiring two time loser Brad Johnson to QB them to the promised land.

I think the general object lesson from this is that it is generally not a smart move to take a QB in the 1st round unless you also plan to do a fan transplant which ain't gonna happen.  In fact, fans so overvalue the draft that the best advice seems to be to trade down any first round choice you get to get players who are proven to produce or to get more picks lower down so you can have a better chance at building a winning team.

744589[/snapback]

Atlanta "shipped' Favre off to Green Bay.

Oh, I'd definitely put Patrick Ramsey on that list.  It's not like Washington drafted a QB in the first round after taking Ramsey, or sign a veteran free agent to put over him, either.

744578[/snapback]

OR the fact he spent the first few years in the NFL in a system where:

A) He was shuffled amongst 2 other QBs

B) His Head coach and the Catholic Church believe in the same amount of protection: none; AND

C) The power back that could have helped along his development was traded away, with Spurrier citing, "I don't need him in my offense"

Atlanta "shipped' Favre off to Green Bay.

744596[/snapback]

I always think to myself that since Mularkey didn't use Losman to win bets before games throwing into the stands (proving his accuracy and deep ball skills) like Glanville did, he couldn't possibly have been as bad....RIGHT?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writ...card/index.html

This Peter King article on Matt Hasselback reminded me so much of what we are seeing with JP right now....made me even more pissed off that the team wasted so much of last season with Holcomb when JP could have been developing. Bottom line, it takes QBs awhile to develop and JP has not been given this time yet...but we are finally seeing signs of encouragement:

On the field during the two-hour morning practice, Hasselbeck was the

Holmgrom is an offensive master. ANd he worked with the best (both WAlshs). Plus, Matt was able to play behond Favre and not have the 1st round pressure JP has. Pressure has to be factored all the time. Lastly, Matt moved teams. Thus, he was able to move and clear his head. JP is under the microscope. Buffalo is a small town, you sink of swim.