Jay Cutler article

Not even John Elway put on a show like Broncos first-round pick Jay Cutler did in his Denver debut.

In one quarter and the opening series of the third quarter, Cutler completed 16 of 22 passes for 192 yards, one touchdown and an impressive 114.2 quarterback rating. What made those numbers so impressive is that no other rookie quarterback has achieved anything like them in the preseason this decade, Ben Roethlisberger included.

Of the 19 quarterbacks drafted in the first round since 2000, none threw for more than the 140 that Cincinnati's Carson Palmer had against the New York Jets in August 2003. In his limited action, Cutler threw for 52 more yards than Palmer.

And if those numbers weren't impressive enough, how about these: Cutler's showing was the best debut for a Denver quarterback in 31 seasons, since John Hufnagel threw for 308 yards against the Baltimore Colts in August 1975. Craig Morton didn't do better, nor did Elway, nor Jake Plummer.

Yet saying all that, Cutler's only chance of playing this season is if Plummer suffers some type of injury. Otherwise, Cutler will spend his rookie season on the bench, learning and getting ready for the 2007 season. Because no matter how much some people want there to be a quarterback controversy in Denver, there isn't one. Not this season. Next season is a different deal.

And here's something else to remember about Cutler. He plays like a veteran and acts like one, too. Broncos officials who have gotten to know Cutler say he handles every situation like the consummate pro. Looks like Denver found a player to build their franchise around the next 12 years.

Link

I know it's only one preseason game. I know even Ryan Leaf sometimes showed flashes of brilliance. But if Cutler turns out to be the next Elway, how will Marv feel about passing him up to take a safety?

Not even John Elway put on a show like Broncos first-round pick Jay Cutler did in his Denver debut.

In one quarter and the opening series of the third quarter, Cutler completed 16 of 22 passes for 192 yards, one touchdown and an impressive 114.2 quarterback rating. What made those numbers so impressive is that no other rookie quarterback has achieved anything like them in the preseason this decade, Ben Roethlisberger included.

Of the 19 quarterbacks drafted in the first round since 2000, none threw for more than the 140 that Cincinnati's Carson Palmer had against the New York Jets in August 2003. In his limited action, Cutler threw for 52 more yards than Palmer.

And if those numbers weren't impressive enough, how about these: Cutler's showing was the best debut for a Denver quarterback in 31 seasons, since John Hufnagel threw for 308 yards against the Baltimore Colts in August 1975. Craig Morton didn't do better, nor did Elway, nor Jake Plummer.

Yet saying all that, Cutler's only chance of playing this season is if Plummer suffers some type of injury. Otherwise, Cutler will spend his rookie season on the bench, learning and getting ready for the 2007 season. Because no matter how much some people want there to be a quarterback controversy in Denver, there isn't one. Not this season. Next season is a different deal.

And here's something else to remember about Cutler. He plays like a veteran and acts like one, too. Broncos officials who have gotten to know Cutler say he handles every situation like the consummate pro. Looks like Denver found a player to build their franchise around the next 12 years.

Link

I know it's only one preseason game. I know even Ryan Leaf sometimes showed flashes of brilliance. But if Cutler turns out to be the next Elway, how will Marv feel about passing him up to take a safety?

743945[/snapback]

There's a football board, and a politics board. Hopefully, with the implementation of a good eugenics program, we'll someday have people who can differentiate the two...

There's a football board, and a politics board.  Hopefully, with the implementation of a good eugenics program, we'll someday have people who can differentiate the two...

I just checked, and this thread is on the football board. If I put this on the politics board, and if a mod was this quick to fix the error, then that's awfully efficient modding!

I know it's only one preseason game.  I know even Ryan Leaf sometimes showed flashes of brilliance.  But if Cutler turns out to be the next Elway, how will Marv feel about passing him up to take a safety?

743945[/snapback]

If Whitner turns out to be the next Ronnie Lott I don't think he'll lose much sleep over it

Link

743945[/snapback]

We both know that your scenario is the nature of the beast.

There will be players who are better than Whittner that were selected after him, and the possibility exists that he will be better than some taken in the top 7.

Is you post simply a quarterback thing?

Link

743945[/snapback]

You've ran out of Bills QBs not named Losman to root for because the all sucked so badly, so now your settting your sights on another team's rookie QB? That's so weak.

Put down the sour grapes and start rooting for JP Losman, your starting Bills QB for the next several seasons.

Link

I know it's only one preseason game.  I know even Ryan Leaf sometimes showed flashes of brilliance.  But if Cutler turns out to be the next Elway, how will Marv feel about passing him up to take a safety?

743945[/snapback]

If I remember correctly Leaf did win his first game and looked pretty darn good too. Anyone....

I just checked, and this thread is on the football board.  If I put this on the politics board, and if a mod was this quick to fix the error, then that's awfully efficient modding!

743966[/snapback]

We do not mess around over there. :blush:

If Whitner turns out to be the next Ronnie Lott I don't think he'll lose much sleep over it

743970[/snapback]

Whitner may end up being a beast, but for now due to his holdout, I'd like to see some wide bodies knock him into the cheap seats and clear out any residual snot.

Building character... :blush::blush:

743970[/snapback]

Giving up a John Elway to acquire a Ronnie Lott is something worth losing sleep over. There's no way the Broncos would have traded away Elway to get Lott.