Jay Cutler article

We both know that your scenario is the nature of the beast.

There will be players who are better than Whittner that were selected after him, and the possibility exists that he will be better than some taken in the top 7.

Is you post simply a quarterback thing?

Bill, it's like this: I wanted Marv to take a long, hard look at Cutler. But based on Marv's comments, he was opposed to taking a quarterback in the first round of the draft. I felt that if a guy like Cutler was the right quarterback, then after taking him you could ignore the position for at least the next ten years. Now there's a little evidence that Cutler may be the real thing, so it's frustrating.

I experienced similar emotions whenever TD would pass up an offensive lineman to take a skill position player. Later on you might notice the offensive lineman who got passed up was quietly having a good career, while the skill position player TD took had yet to really do anything.

Maybe you think quarterback is just another offensive skill position like all the others. I disagree with this view. If you have a bad WR, you can simply avoid throwing to the guy. At least the defense will be forced to use up a CB to cover him. If you have a mediocre RB, he'll still get pretty good yardage if he's running behind the right offensive line. But a bad quarterback will kill you with his interceptions and other mistakes. On the other hand, a good quarterback gives you another way to win. Take the Steelers. Typically, plan A was to win with defense and the running game. But if the other team ganged up to stop the run, Roethlisberger could win the game with his arm. The Steelers had a good defense and a good offensive line throughout the '90s and 2000s. But until they got Roethlisberger, those defenses and offensive lines didn't translate into Super Bowl wins. Not that Roethlisberger did much to help them win the Super Bowl itself, but his performance in the regular season and the playoffs was magnificent.

Now cut that out!

You need to find a cooked noodle, more accurate.

744199[/snapback]

I think it is sufficient and it gets the point across. The question you need to ask is will more emphasis help or hurt the interpretation and the humor?

Maybe a plate of spaghetti?