Help settle an argument for me please

/dev/null

Best Grunge Band  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Best Grunge Band

• Alice in Chains
    • Nirvana
    • Other (Specify)

Granted they both kick ass and Nirvana helped pave the way for other Grunge bands, but I say Alice In Chains > Nirvana

736005[/snapback]

This should be a different post altogether but here goes:

What about Mudhoney, Soundgarden, Screaming Trees, Pearl Jam,? Seattle had an amazing gift to the music world in the early 90s! I travel alot around the world and love to get into discussions. People sometimes give me sh-- for being an American, some attack me- I love it! Granted lots of their criticisms are warranted-but I love to bring up great stuff America has provided to the world. Anyways one thing I claim for our country-my hypothesis is all great music the last 200 years came from America.

-Blues

-Gospel

-Country

-Jazz(nothing more American then Jazz, Country, Gospel and the Blues!)

-Rock and Roll-Robert Johnson(he played the stuff that should of been plugged in!)->Chuck Berry->Elvis Presley->Beatles

Motown

Funk

Disco

Punk-I claim the Velvet Underground-perhaps Johny Coli could correct me on this?)

Grunge

Techno(two guys out of Detroit about 25 years ago)

Rap

Hip Hop

Am I right or am I right?

Granted they both kick ass and Nirvana helped pave the way for other Grunge bands, but I say Alice In Chains > Nirvana

736005[/snapback]

Their both kickazz bands, I prefer alice in chains..

Here's alice, down in a whole.

http://www.findvideos.com/videos.php?id=2109

Here's nirvana,smells like teen spirit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAhqsnmo_LA...search=nirvana%

AIC by a long shot. While I respect Nirvana and recognize the impact they had, I just can't stomach them; mostly because of Cobain's voice.

AIC, with a side of Soundgarden, please.

-Jeff

I voted for AiC but I have always felt they were more of a metal band that got lumped in with the grunge bands due to their location and timing.

736100[/snapback]

I thought the same thing until Jar of Flies.

-Jeff

736008[/snapback]

In Ken Burns' "Baseball", there was a professor from Washington University, Gerald Early, who says in the very opening moments of the film, "When archaeologists study our civilization 2,000 years from now, we'll be known for only three things: the Constitution, Baseball and Jazz music."

That always sticks with me.

I can't choose between Nirvana or AiC. I've always liked Pearl Jam better than either. I do know, however, heroine addiction is bad for you.

736005[/snapback]

I'm with you. Alice in chains=way more talent. Can't believe it's 15-15.

SLTS was one of those breakthrough crossover songs that cause people from "outside the circle" to pay attention and draw new listeners to the genre.

I still get a great vibe everytime I listen to it and I'm 20 years past the "demographic" they were playing to. :D

This should be a different post altogether but here goes:

What about Mudhoney, Soundgarden, Screaming Trees, Pearl Jam,?  Seattle had an amazing gift to the music world in the early 90s!  I travel alot around the world and love to get into discussions.  People sometimes give me sh-- for being an American, some attack me- I love it!  Granted lots of their criticisms are warranted-but I love to bring up great stuff America has provided to the world.  Anyways one thing I claim for our country-my hypothesis is all great music the last 200 years came from America.

-Blues

-Gospel

-Country

-Rock and Roll-Robert Johnson(he played the stuff that should of been plugged in!)->Chuck Berry->Elvis Presley->Beatles

Motown

Funk

Disco

Punk-I claim the Velvet Underground-perhaps Johny Coli could correct me on this?)

Grunge

Techno(two guys out of Detroit about 25 years ago)

Rap

Hip Hop

Am I right or am I right?

736008[/snapback]

Don't forget Bluegrass and new American acoustic music (such as David Grisman's "Dawg" music...some of the most exciting music to be made in the last 50 years or more.)

As for Alice in Chains vs. Nirvana, I find Nirvana is better for using as target practice while AIC makes a better coaster. I mean you're not actually LISTENING to this garbage...are you?

:D