Offensive Line Discussion

GoodBye

I don't know about you guys, but I'm pretty hopeful about our O-line this year. I think they'll need a little while to come together as a unit, but with McNally in charge things should shape up well. I don't think they'll make us forget about the days of Kent Hull, Wil Wolford, and "House" Ballard, but I think we're on the right track. With the speed we have at the skill positions, including JP, I don't think we need a great line - we just need solid. Hopefully one of our later round guys - MacFarland, Buter, etc - will end up being a nice player and allow us to feel comfortable about the back-up tackle spot. I like Preston as the back-up guard/center, and Gibson might be a nice insurance policy.

I like our defense to rebound to go with our already spectacular special teams, and I think they will go a long way toward winning us some games. If the offense can just be productive enough to give the 'D' time to rest and put a couple TDs on the board, I think we'll be okay.

I'm not very comfortable with our OL, especially the depth. The backups get beat constantly by the defense and let all kinds of pressure in. The starters are okay, Peters is a mad man...but Fowler hasn't looked that good and Gandy has been beat a few times by Schobel.

I am definitely concerned with our depth, but I am always hopeful. Then again, I learned my lesson last year. I recall being completely confident that the addition of Bennie Anderson meant that our line could not possibly be any worse than the previous year.

I'm not very comfortable with our OL, especially the depth.  The backups get beat constantly by the defense and let all kinds of pressure in.  The starters are okay, Peters is a mad man...but Fowler hasn't looked that good and Gandy has been beat a few times by Schobel.

735798[/snapback]

The thing I try to keep in mind is we are still in camp. Gandy got torched last year in camp, but held his own overall during the season while everyone else other than Peters was blowing chunks.

I am definitely concerned with our depth, but I am always hopeful. Then again, I learned my lesson last year. I recall being completely confident that the addition of Bennie Anderson meant that our line could not possibly be any worse than the previous year.

735805[/snapback]

lol, I totally agree. I was starting to worry though when Rico (I think it was Rico) posted some articles from the Baltimore papers about how glad they were to be rid of Bennie. If I remember correctly, his signing came later on in free agency, too, which also made it look like we were settling for scraps.

lol, I totally agree. I was starting to worry though when Rico (I think it was Rico) posted some articles from the Baltimore papers about how glad they were to be rid of Bennie. If I remember correctly, his signing came later on in free agency, too, which also made it look like we were settling for scraps.

735813[/snapback]

With Bennie in Miami, our scraps are a meal for the Dolphins :lol:

I like what they did in the offseason. Fowler and Reyes are hungry young vets out to prove themselves. Peters is coming into his own while Gandy and Villarial should hold their own. I like Preston as a backup and possible replacement for Villarial.

I hope to god Gibson does not make this team. He is not a good football player and is grotesquely obese.

I like what they did in the offseason.  Fowler and Reyes are hungry young vets out to prove themselves.  Peters is coming into his own while Gandy and Villarial should hold their own.  I like Preston as a backup and possible replacement for Villarial. 

I hope to god Gibson does not make this team.  He is not a good football player and is grotesquely obese.

735876[/snapback]

I hope Fowler looks better on the field once preseason starts. Because for now, he is getting beat bad by Tim Anderson and the other DTs.

735813[/snapback]

Well, the first choice for Levy this year at OG as I recall was the UFA from Arizona. We have once again picked the scrap heap with Reyes, but there is still a strong chance that he will be better than Anderson. CV sucked at RG last season, and he is now a year older.

Fowler is someone I count on to be an upgrade. I don't think that the Vikes had the money to keep him because of the contracts of McKinnie and Hutch. Peters should also improve. Gandy is what he is....an average LT.

If all goes well, the Bills OL could approach average, which in itself would be virtially unprecedented in the last decade.

The good news is that we have a lot of young defensive backs.

Also, there are very few things in life that are more cool than a woman who wants to discuss Bills football, let alone line play.

Stay the same Lana....don't change. :lol:

The biggest weakness on this year's squad is at middle linebacker.

Flame away.

The OLine's been terrible for years. The new problem area is Middle Linebacking.

Get with the program. Be ahead of the curve. Find a new tune to whistle. Get a new drug.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm pretty hopeful about our O-line this year. I think they'll need a little while to come together as a unit, but with McNally in charge things should shape up well. I don't think they'll make us forget about the days of Kent Hull, Wil Wolford, and "House" Ballard, but I think we're on the right track. With the speed we have at the skill positions, including JP, I don't think we need a great line - we just need solid. Hopefully one of our later round guys - MacFarland, Buter, etc - will end up being a nice player and allow us to feel comfortable about the back-up tackle spot. I like Preston as the back-up guard/center, and Gibson might be a nice insurance policy.

I like our defense to rebound to go with our already spectacular special teams, and I think they will go a long way toward winning us some games. If the offense can just be productive enough to give the 'D' time to rest and put a couple TDs on the board, I think we'll be okay.

735789[/snapback]

I'm most interested in seeing if this group can run block. Sure pretect the stupid qb and all, but if they can't make holes for Willis then they ain't gonna be able to protect for 3rd and 10's. And the Middle Line backer won't help them run or pass any better :lol:

The biggest weakness on this year's squad is at middle linebacker.

735897[/snapback]

I'm a fan of our current MLB and as hard as he works in coverage (granted without the best skills to play behind himself) I think he might be a major asset in the D scheme change. Working quick and hard gives the highest payout in a cover 2- to me that's pretty much London's Nom de Plume.

I like what they did in the offseason.  Fowler and Reyes are hungry young vets out to prove themselves.  Peters is coming into his own while Gandy and Villarial should hold their own.  I like Preston as a backup and possible replacement for Villarial. 

I hope to god Gibson does not make this team.  He is not a good football player and is grotesquely obese.

735876[/snapback]

I definitely can see how Gibson's weight is an issue but if he plays well and shows some motivation then he should at least provide some depth.

"Get in my belly"

I'm a fan of our current MLB and as hard as he works in coverage (granted without the best skills to play behind himself) I think he might be a major asset in the D scheme change. Working quick and hard gives the highest payout in a cover 2- to me that's pretty much London's Nom de Plume.

736006[/snapback]

Me too. And his backup's pen name is what, again?

But of course I worry too much. We could never lose a starting LB two years in a row, could we? And he'll be playing for us for the next 10 years no doubt. :lol:

NFL football is a funny game. Although the offensive line is unquestionably critical, it does not always result in a poor result. There are so many other things you need to take into account.

For instance, a team that catches all the breaks in game one, predominately resulting in good field position in many cases, reserves it's offensive line. The result is often a fresh offensive line the following week.

Other things you must take into account is the offensive line coach. How well does he prepare his players? A lot of times under a new offensive line coach, linemen that seemed washed up last year under other management, take on new life.

Don't condemn the offensive line until we see how they react under the new circumstances.

NFL football is a funny game. Although the offensive line is unquestionably critical, it does not always result in a poor result. There are so many other things you need to take into account.

For instance, a team that catches all the breaks in game one, predominately resulting in good field position in many cases, reserves it's offensive line. The result is often a fresh offensive line the following week.

Other things you must take into account is the offensive line coach. How well does he prepare his players? A lot of times under a new offensive line coach, linemen that seemed washed up last year under other management, take on new life.

Don't condemn the offensive line until we see how they react under the new circumstances.

736094[/snapback]

Good post.

I'd add that playcalling can aid a marginal OL. Even though the OC's beady little eyes spy the possibility for a big gain, a HC that says "Yes - but we generally get flatted when we try that spiffy number. Let's drive block and get 4 or so yards under our belt and see how the defense presents on the next down" can keep you on the field.

I cringe when I hear about a team sticking to their game plan even when the opponent does odd things - like that NE game a few years back and their use of the "Radar" defense. What was it? - two DL's? Hike on the count of one and run 'er up the gut! :lol:

Well, the first choice for Levy this year at OG as I recall was the UFA from Arizona. We have once again picked the scrap heap with Reyes, but there is still a strong chance that he will be better than Anderson. CV sucked at RG last season, and he is now a year older.

Fowler is someone I count on to be an upgrade. I don't think that the Vikes had the money to keep him because of the contracts of McKinnie and Hutch. Peters should also improve. Gandy is what he is....an average LT.

If all goes well, the Bills OL could approach average, which in itself would be virtially unprecedented in the last decade.

The good news is that we have a lot of young defensive backs.

Also, there are very few things in life that are more cool than a woman who wants to discuss Bills football, let alone line play.

Stay the same Lana....don't change.  :doh:

735893[/snapback]

Why thanks Bill. I don't plan to change. :( I guess I owe it to AJ for introducing me to this cool sport. :lol: Look forward to seeing how the Bills will do this year. Go Bills!

Me too. And his backup's pen name is what, again?

But of course I worry too much. We could never lose a starting LB two years in a row, could we? And he'll be playing for us for the next 10 years no doubt. :doh:

736057[/snapback]

I guess I could have linked that Ezekial article in my post ;-)

The single biggest criticism I'd level at TDonahoe was our lack (or in many cases absence) of depth at far too many positions, which has led us to this point in time where the "new" regime finds itself with little credible talent at the second level of our depth chart.