Bills Sign ex Raven FB Alan Ricard

JoeF

From the Baltimore Sun- Baltimore Ravens FB Alan Ricard is expected to be released before the team reports to training camp July 28, according to a league source. The source claimed Ricard's DECLINING HEALTH and the team's new direction on offense as the cause. The team waited to cut Ricard because he complained about a "pop" in his calf at the end of one of the team's minicamps. Ricard is expected to take a physical this week and will likely be released once he passes.

Meh... I'd rather see them concentrate on 3 WR sets & 2 TE sets.

732871[/snapback]

Even during the K-Gun's heyday, having Jamie Mueller and Carwell Gardner around came in handy at times.

I like the move, and not just because "Hey - I've heard of him!" If Ricard can get healthy, I think Shelton's in trouble.

From the Baltimore Sun- Baltimore Ravens FB Alan Ricard is expected to be released before the team reports to training camp July 28, according to a league source. The source claimed Ricard's DECLINING HEALTH and the team's new direction on offense as the cause. The team waited to cut Ricard because he complained about a "pop" in his calf at the end of one of the team's minicamps. Ricard is expected to take a physical this week and will likely be released once he passes.

733064[/snapback]

So they're waiting for him to be completely healthy before cutting him because he hadn't been completely healthy? :D

Again, this is a no risk move with a possible decent or potentially high reward. If his calf is bothering him, either it will show in his movements or would have shown in his physical and tryout (which it apparently didn't). A lot of teams like the idea of an H-Back as opposed to a fullback. That really seemed to be more of an issue than the declining health. He had only played five years, only half of that as a starter, and was only injured in one of them.

I like this signing, too. This kind of competition is definitely good. It costs very little and they can see first hand whether Picard is an upgrade over Shelton or not. He very well could be.

732799[/snapback]

It's Ricard. This is the next generation of the Bills, not Star Trek The Next Generation. LOL!!!

Look, no, it is not necessarily "bad news" for Shelton. Yes, the Bills apparently saw an opportunity to raise the level of competition at a particular position. DJ has been clear that he would do exactly that whenever he could during camp. This is nothing but good news for the team.

Zero risk, plenty of potential for payoff. I'll make that bet any day.

Kinda tough to earn your starting spot when you're not in camp at all.

If/when he signs, I don't want the Bills to coddle him and give him his starting spot.  Earn it like everyone else.

732813[/snapback]

I don't give a crap if they "coddle" him or not. If he's the best player, I want him starting.

Can't blame the guy for wanting to be comfortable with a contract he'll have to live with for the next 5 or 6 years....err, until he holds out for a new deal.

As everybody has said, I really like this signing.

I liked his blue collar attitude blocking stlye in Baltimore, and he should pound some linebackers out of McGahee's tracks.

What's interesting now, is what becomes of Shelton? Do we think he is wearing down?

Another good training camp battle, and this time, it's at FB, because Goldsberry has been good in camp, thus far.