Cats and dental work

Fezmid

We took our two cats to the vet for their yearly checkup yesterday, and one of the things the vet noticed was that on one of our cats (6 year old Maine Coon, we think), one back molar was very loose and the other was covered with tarrter. She recommended that we bring her in later to have the one tooth removed and the other one cleaned up, all to the tune of $300-$400.

My wife and I have never heard of a kitty dentist before and are wonder how necessary this really is. The cat is eating fine, doesn't appear to be in any pain (although it's tough to tell with animals, since they don't really complain much), and if I hadn't seen the loose tooth, I wouldn't have had any idea that it was bad.

Is this common in pets nowadays? Are there any risks to waiting and letting it fall out on its own? Or should I just bite the bullet and shell out he cash for the kitty dentist, no matter how ridiculous that sounds?

CW

Is this common in pets nowadays? Are there any risks to waiting and letting it fall out on its own? Or should I just bite the bullet and shell out he cash for the kitty dentist, no matter how ridiculous that sounds?

CW

729144[/snapback]

It's common for vets to sell you add-on services to make you think you are a better owner. I had many a vet tell me I should be brushing my dog's teeth.

None of them died of tooth decay or from incessantly gumming kibble.

What do you pay for your, personal teeth cleaning ? (without deductible)

Your choppers - with proper care will last 60-70 years - a cat (under elightened care) may last 8 - 10 :lol:

We took our two cats to the vet for their yearly checkup yesterday, and one of the things the vet noticed was that on one of our cats (6 year old Maine Coon, we think), one back molar was very loose and the other was covered with tarrter.  She recommended that we bring her in later to have the one tooth removed and the other one cleaned up, all to the tune of $300-$400.

My wife and I have never heard of a kitty dentist before and are wonder how necessary this really is.  The cat is eating fine, doesn't appear to be in any pain (although it's tough to tell with animals, since they don't really complain much), and if I hadn't seen the loose tooth, I wouldn't have had any idea that it was bad.

Is this common in pets nowadays?  Are there any risks to waiting and letting it fall out on its own?  Or should I just bite the bullet and shell out he cash for the kitty dentist, no matter how ridiculous that sounds?

CW

729144[/snapback]

Gum disease is a common occurrence in cats, especially the oriental breeds. I have two Burmese & get them checked once a year. My little girl lost 6 teeth due to bad gingivitis.

As far as I'm aware it is largely due to the food we feed them. Usually it is either the mushy tin junk or the super crunchy dried stuff. Neither clean the cats teeth & allow for build-up of plaque, tarter etc, leading to gum diseases.

I buy special(slightly moist) dry food designed to clean the animals teeth....It's sort of like how our teeth get a good clean when we eat apples.

With my Burmese I could tell that something was bothering them when they got severe gum disease. It can't be nice having your mouth hurt when you chew. :lol:

We took our two cats to the vet for their yearly checkup yesterday, and one of the things the vet noticed was that on one of our cats (6 year old Maine Coon, we think), one back molar was very loose and the other was covered with tarrter.  She recommended that we bring her in later to have the one tooth removed and the other one cleaned up, all to the tune of $300-$400.

My wife and I have never heard of a kitty dentist before and are wonder how necessary this really is.  The cat is eating fine, doesn't appear to be in any pain (although it's tough to tell with animals, since they don't really complain much), and if I hadn't seen the loose tooth, I wouldn't have had any idea that it was bad.

Is this common in pets nowadays?  Are there any risks to waiting and letting it fall out on its own?  Or should I just bite the bullet and shell out he cash for the kitty dentist, no matter how ridiculous that sounds?

CW

729144[/snapback]

Cats are disposable, like paper plates. Why fix up a cat when you can go to the shelter and get a new younger one for $10 bucks. I'm sure it will ignore you and crap in the mulch just as well as the last one.

Cats are disposable, like paper plates.  Why fix up a cat when you can go to the shelter and get a new younger one for $10 bucks.  I'm sure it will ignore you and crap in the mulch just as well as the last one.

729194[/snapback]

Should've known better than to ask a serious question on TSW.

My mistake.

My mistake.

729206[/snapback]

Sorry Dude. :lol:

It's your money.

If you can live with spending that kind of money on a pet, go ahead.

I'm not a vet, but I think if the cat isn't showing an ill effects, let it be.

But, if it gets infected later on, the bill will be a lot bigger.

Gum disease is a common occurrence in cats, especially the oriental breeds.  I have two Burmese & get them checked once a year.  My little girl lost 6 teeth due to bad gingivitis.

As far as I'm aware it is largely due to the food we feed them.  Usually it is either the mushy tin junk or the super crunchy dried stuff.  Neither clean the cats teeth & allow for build-up of plaque, tarter etc, leading to gum diseases.

I buy special(slightly moist) dry food designed to clean the animals teeth....It's sort of like how our teeth get a good clean when we eat apples.

With my Burmese I could tell that something was bothering them when they got severe gum disease.  It can't be nice having your mouth hurt when you chew.  :lol:

729149[/snapback]

Did you have to pay to have the teeth removed, or did they just fall out?

We use Science Diet food -- and our older cat (8 years old) is doing fine (his teeth are a bit dirty, but overall not a big deal).

CW

My mistake.

729206[/snapback]

On a serious note, my wife likes our cats and one of them got messed up pretty bad by a fox/dog/coyote. I was away on business and she brought it to the emergency center in rochester. $4000 later we had a cat with titanium rods and cadaver bones in its back leg! I should mention that it would have cost a few hundred to have the leg amputated and many dogs and cats live happy lives with three legs. If I ever see the bastard vet who recomended this rediculous opperation followed by 8 months of follow up visits before the rods were removed I will snap his leg in a similar manner.

I'd recommend waiting a while and keeping an eye on it. Is there are redness or swelling around the gums? If not, then the cat is probably not even feeling anything. Obviously, if there is infection present, then you'd need to do something right away. My sister has had a loose molar for 40 years and no problems.

I agree that vets (like any other business person) will try to sell additional services. But you also don't want your pet to be in pain.

My cat is now 16 years old and in perfect health. But, she's NEVER had "people" food and always eats dry cat food and fresh water daily.

Cats are quite possible the most useless animals ever. That not withstanding I do not see the over affection with people and their pets. My girlfriend is an animal freak. She has 2 dogs and 2 cats and one dog just had to be put down. Anyway the one dog is manic depressive and just keeps losing teeth, it is scared of its own shadow, when it sh--- in the house and you correct it it cries for a good ten minutes. All those filthy cats do is rip up the garbage and jump up on the counters and eat people food. No matter how many time syou fling them to the ground they go right back up.

I have an english bulldog that I paid 300 dollars for. They are normally a very expensive breed. Non the less I figured why the guy was getting rid of him. The dog has honestly eaten 1500 dollars worth of sh-- in my house. Long story short when he goes to the vet he only has a 300 dollar deductible. Sorry but the money he has cost me I could have had a brand new set of golf clubs. He is cute though.

Cats are quite possible the most useless animals ever. That not withstanding I do not see the over affection with people and their pets. My girlfriend is an animal freak. She has 2 dogs and 2 cats and one dog just had to be put down. Anyway the one dog is manic depressive and just keeps losing teeth, it is scared of its own shadow, when it sh--- in the house and you correct it it cries for a good ten minutes. All those filthy cats do is rip up the garbage and jump up on the counters and eat people food. No matter how many time syou fling them to the ground they go right back up.

I have an english bulldog that I paid 300 dollars for. They are normally a very expensive breed. Non the less I figured why the guy was getting rid of him. The dog has honestly eaten 1500 dollars worth of sh-- in my house. Long story short when he goes to the vet he only has a 300 dollar deductible. Sorry but the money he has cost me I could have had a brand new set of golf clubs. He is cute though.

729240[/snapback]

You need to put the sarcasm sign on a post like this because I've read your posts and I'm fairly certain you're not stupid enough to fling your cats to the ground when you find them on the counter. If you are and if you do, you should find a chick with no pets, get rid of your dog, and try collecting stamps or something.

On a serious note, my wife likes our cats and one of them got messed up pretty bad by a fox/dog/coyote.  I was away on business and she brought it to the emergency center in rochester.  $4000 later we had a cat with titanium rods and cadaver bones in its back leg!  I should mention that it would have cost a few hundred to have the leg amputated and many dogs and cats live happy lives with three legs.  If I ever see the bastard vet who recomended this rediculous opperation followed by 8 months of follow up visits before the rods were removed I will snap his leg in a similar manner.

729226[/snapback]

Yeah, they are pretty merciless when it comes to recommending state of the art cures.

My plan on the rare occassion I have to use their services is to have them do only what is necessary to keep the pet alive and comfortable through the night and then take the pet to our regular vet in the morning.

We're real happy with our regular vet. They do the work much cheaper (and IMHO better) than the all-nighter. (Unfortunately, when an emergency does come up they are the only game in town and you do what you have to do.)

Did you have to pay to have the teeth removed, or did they just fall out?

We use Science Diet food -- and our older cat (8 years old) is doing fine (his teeth are a bit dirty, but overall not a big deal).

CW

729211[/snapback]

Hills Science is the one we use too. :lol:

Now that my cats are on it, they seem to be doing great...it was only when they were on the **** stuff that they really had problems.

Yes we did have to pay to have the teeth removed & the existing ones(& gums) scraped but it didn't cost no $400....& I thought Vets were costly over here. One thing about Vets(& Dentists) which a lot of people don't realize is you can pretty much get quotes on a proceedure so what may be $300-$400 at one Vet might be $150-$250 at another. Shop around.

729240[/snapback]

There are far more stupid owners than there are stupid pets who cannot be trained. It's like aggressive dogs....sure there are some that are bred to be aggressive but usually it is the needle-dick owner with an inferiority complex teaching it to be nasty or the 'stupid' simpleton who cannot figure how to discipline the animal.

Re: your cats on the bench....when they jump up, quickly & quietly grab them & lock them in the laundry or 'naughty' room for a half hour or so. (Same principle as the 'time out'). They will soon learn that jumping up on the bench means going to a place they don't like & find boring.

You need to put the sarcasm sign on a post like this because I've read your posts and I'm fairly certain you're not stupid enough to fling your cats to the ground when you find them on the counter. If you are and if you do, you should find a chick with no pets, get rid of your dog, and try collecting stamps or something.

729244[/snapback]

haha. Its not really a fling. I just kind of spook them off their perch. They are just unbelievably hard headed. As for my dog, he is alot of fun but by far the most stubborn animal I have ever seen. I wouldnt get rid of him, unless god forbid he bit someone but he is a big teddy bear.

There are far more stupid owners than there are stupid pets who cannot be trained.  It's like aggressive dogs....sure there are some that are bred to be aggressive but usually it is the needle-dick owner with an inferiority complex teaching it to be nasty or the 'stupid' simpleton who cannot figure how to discipline the animal.

Re: your cats on the bench....when they jump up, quickly & quietly grab them & lock them in the laundry or 'naughty' room for a half hour or so.  (Same principle as the 'time out').  They will soon learn that jumping up on the bench means going to a place they don't like & find boring.

729251[/snapback]

I agree with you. I would never teach a dog to be aggressive. If there is a need for something like that say for protecting your property I would let the pros handle it. As for mine he is very well mannered, it took alot of patience and reading but he has come a long way. I got him second hand and you could tell the old owner used to correct him on the face which is very bad. Whenever I would go to pet him he would flinch, but now he is fine. He is like a 65 pound bowling ball.

I was never a at person, but I wouldnt be mean to any animal, the problem is my girlfriends family does not discipline their pets.

Re: your cats on the bench....when they jump up, quickly & quietly grab them & lock them in the laundry or 'naughty' room for a half hour or so.  (Same principle as the 'time out').  They will soon learn that jumping up on the bench means going to a place they don't like & find boring.

729251[/snapback]

Hell, we just pick ours up off the counter and put them on the floor with a stern "No!" or "Bad girl!" They understand to the point that they know they're allowed up on the kitchen counter unless there's food up there or we have company, and under no circumstances are they allowed to walk over the range top (they jump down and walk around instead). If you properly and consistently set limits for cats, they'll understand and obey even a relatively complex set of rules.