Cats and dental work

Fezmid

Cats are quite possible the most useless animals ever. That not withstanding I do not see the over affection with people and their pets. My girlfriend is an animal freak. She has 2 dogs and 2 cats and one dog just had to be put down. Anyway the one dog is manic depressive and just keeps losing teeth, it is scared of its own shadow, when it sh--- in the house and you correct it it cries for a good ten minutes. All those filthy cats do is rip up the garbage and jump up on the counters and eat people food. No matter how many time syou fling them to the ground they go right back up.

729240[/snapback]

Can we see a picture of the GF?, for you to put up with that she had better be a supermodel who specializes in golfball extraction via gardenhose.

Can we see a picture of the GF?, for you to put up with that she had better be a supermodel who specializes in golfball extraction via gardenhose.

729265[/snapback]

haha. It was pretty sweet in the first couple of years but now we are rounding the corner in year #4 and I can see what all my married friends are talking about. Frankly she is worth it.

We took our two cats to the vet for their yearly checkup yesterday, and one of the things the vet noticed was that on one of our cats (6 year old Maine Coon, we think), one back molar was very loose and the other was covered with tarrter.  She recommended that we bring her in later to have the one tooth removed and the other one cleaned up, all to the tune of $300-$400.

My wife and I have never heard of a kitty dentist before and are wonder how necessary this really is.  The cat is eating fine, doesn't appear to be in any pain (although it's tough to tell with animals, since they don't really complain much), and if I hadn't seen the loose tooth, I wouldn't have had any idea that it was bad.

Is this common in pets nowadays?  Are there any risks to waiting and letting it fall out on its own?  Or should I just bite the bullet and shell out he cash for the kitty dentist, no matter how ridiculous that sounds?

CW

729144[/snapback]

Fez, we have had cleaning done a number of times for our cats. The cleaning is done not just because tartar is present. The vet recommends it if there are signs of incipient gum disease. Which can also cause other infections. Losing a tooth is a big deal to a carnivore.

Maine Coons are nice cats - good dispositions.

A change in overall demeanor, and the dropping of food while eating (more than normal) are signs. Obviously, pain is involved.

The two younger cats (7 year olds) have had no problem. The one that passed away last year had it done 3 times, and our 13-year old has had it done 3 times - 1995, 1997, and this June, 2006.

The June dentistry was 2 visits. The first was the examination, plus other tests:

Examination fee $34.00

CBC (anemia, leukemia, infection): $31.69

Major profile (kidneys, liver, duabetes, electrolytes, cholesterol) $62.70

T4:IDEXX (thyroid function) $44.38

Urinanylsis w/microscopy (kidney function) $31.35.

The last three tests were because of the cat's advanced age.

Here's what the procedure entailed:

IV/catheter fluids (optional but highly recommended) $45.65

Anesthetic induction $26.00

Isoflurane gas (the anesthetic) $43.86

Dental cleaning and polishing $45.00

EKG during surgery - no charge

Dental equipment/disposables $8.35

We probably could have put off this June dentistry for another few months, but the cat had a minor infection at the time so we went ahead with it.

Note: It's usual to have the cat on antibiotics before and after the procedure. Pilling a cat or any other animal is an experience... :lol:

Maine Coons are nice cats - good dispositions.

My cat thinks she's a dog; she follows me around the house when I wake up, sees me off to work every morning, and is waiting at the door when I come home. She also loves playing fetch like a dog - throw a toy, she grabs it and drops it in front of me to throw again. :lol:

Thanks for the info. Her gums are a little red in several places, so I guess we need to do something.

We're supposed to get a quote in the mail in a few days. I think I might talk to some other people who have cats to see if I can find someplace cheaper, as the bill does sound high.

CW

My cat thinks she's a dog; she follows me around the house when I wake up, sees me off to work every morning, and is waiting at the door when I come home.  She also loves playing fetch like a dog - throw a toy, she grabs it and drops it in front of me to throw again. :lol:

Thanks for the info.  Her gums are a little red in several places, so I guess we need to do something.

We're supposed to get a quote in the mail in a few days.  I think I might talk to some other people who have cats to see if I can find someplace cheaper, as the bill does sound high.

CW

729288[/snapback]

Cats are excellent judges of human character... :P

With the redness, it's time. Be sure to get the IV/catheter...the fluids help to insure things go well, and provide immediate access to the bloodstream if emergency measures become necessary.

We took our two cats to the vet for their yearly checkup yesterday, and one of the things the vet noticed was that on one of our cats (6 year old Maine Coon, we think), one back molar was very loose and the other was covered with tarrter.  She recommended that we bring her in later to have the one tooth removed and the other one cleaned up, all to the tune of $300-$400.

My wife and I have never heard of a kitty dentist before and are wonder how necessary this really is.  The cat is eating fine, doesn't appear to be in any pain (although it's tough to tell with animals, since they don't really complain much), and if I hadn't seen the loose tooth, I wouldn't have had any idea that it was bad.

Is this common in pets nowadays?  Are there any risks to waiting and letting it fall out on its own?  Or should I just bite the bullet and shell out he cash for the kitty dentist, no matter how ridiculous that sounds?

CW

729144[/snapback]

It is legitimate in some cases. We just took our dog in for cleaning, it cost about 250 bucks. The breakdown someone just gave you is accurate. It really depends on how important your animal's health and comfort are to you.

And I find parasites (cats) to be the stupidest animals on planet earth. My cat is about as intelligent as a retarded clam.

Well, in truth, it's not that cats are THAT stupid, it's that they are stupid AND incredibly apathetic to anything you do besides feed them...

It is legitimate in some cases. We just took our dog in for cleaning, it cost about 250 bucks. The breakdown someone just gave you is accurate. It really depends on how important your animal's health and comfort are to you.

And I find parasites (cats) to be the stupidest animals on planet earth. My cat is about as intelligent as a retarded clam.

Well, in truth, it's not that cats are THAT stupid, it's that they are stupid AND incredibly apathetic to anything you do besides feed them...

729341[/snapback]

Really? My cats are scary smart. Even the idiot cat's smarter than about half my family.

Really?  My cats are scary smart.  Even the idiot cat's smarter than about half my family.

729414[/snapback]

I agree, we had a cat that was very smart. Current one is a bit dumb in comparison to the first, but brilliant compared to some posters here.

BTW our vet told us that our cat needed a cleaning and they need to put them to under to do that. He has asthma and their concerned about whether he can survive the anethnesia so they want to treat the asthma first $$$$$. Sorry furry dude, you'll just have to get by with dirty teeth. :lol:

I agree, we had a cat that was very smart.  Current one is a bit dumb in comparison to the first, but brilliant compared to some posters here. 

BTW our vet told us that our cat needed a cleaning and they need to put them to under to do that.  He has asthma and their concerned about whether he can survive the anethnesia so they want to treat the asthma first $$$$$.  Sorry furry dude, you'll just have to get by with dirty teeth.  :lol:

729418[/snapback]

Trying to think back, Chef...

Our cat that died last year had long-term asthma, so with her cleanings, that risk was there. IIRC, the recent treatments for the lung ailment has their own set of problems. We declined them.

In any event, plaque and tartar removal should only be done if there is indication of gum disease. A carnivore need not have pearlies... :P

Pilling a cat or any other animal is an experience... :)

729271[/snapback]

I was in the same boat....no way would my cats sit still for a pill. Wrap them in a towel & they just rip it to bits.

I have however recently discovered a pill-giving device. It's awesome! No more hassles. It's just like a big plastic syringe with soft rubber at the tip. Pill into tip....tip into cats mouth(towards back)....depress syringe....job done. :P

The stupid thing was my vet never told me about the device. It was when I went back to the vet voicing how much trouble I was having giving the pills, the secretary showed me it.

I was in the same boat....no way would my cats sit still for a pill.  Wrap them in a towel & they just rip it to bits.

I have however recently discovered a pill-giving device.  It's awesome!  No more hassles.  It's just like a big plastic syringe with soft rubber at the tip.  Pill into tip....tip into cats mouth(towards back)....depress syringe....job done. :P

The stupid thing was my vet never told me about the device.  It was when I went back to the vet voicing how much trouble I was having giving the pills, the secretary showed me it.

729636[/snapback]

The vet didn't want to upsell you anything. :)

And to those in the thread who say cats ignore you and are of no use. My cat (with the bad tooth) is sleeping on the desk right in front of me right now; hasn't left my side since I got home from work. And unlike a dog, I don't have to take her out for a walk when she needs to pee; she can use the bathroom :(

http://www.fezam.com/stat.jpg :lol:

CW

The vet didn't want to upsell you anything.  :)

And to those in the thread who say cats ignore you and are of no use.  My cat (with the bad tooth) is sleeping on the desk right in front of me right now; hasn't left my side since I got home from work.  And unlike a dog, I don't have to take her out for a walk when she needs to pee; she can use the bathroom :(

http://www.fezam.com/stat.jpg :lol:

CW

729641[/snapback]

Maine Coon.....that's the really huge(size) breed isn't it? They're awesome.

I totally agree about dog-cats. I have Burmese which are renowned for acting like dogs. They come to greet you when you get home, roll onto their backs for a tummy rub.....demand play-time(in a fun way)......play fetch with things.

When you end up with a cat that acts a bit like a dog it's the best of both worlds. :P

Maine Coon.....that's the really huge(size) breed isn't it?  They're awesome.

I totally agree about dog-cats.  I have Burmese which are renowned for acting like dogs.  They come to greet you when you get home, roll onto their backs for a tummy rub.....demand play-time(in a fun way)......play fetch with things. 

When you end up with a cat that acts a bit like a dog it's the best of both worlds. :)

729643[/snapback]

I don't think she's full Maine Coon -- but she has a lot of the traits. She's pretty small though -- 9.5 pounds. We rescued her from some terrible neighbors when we lived in an apartment.

CW

CW

729144[/snapback]

First of all, a good rule of thumb is anything that Bob Lamb advises, do the opposite.

You must address the tooth. But removing it is just the beginning. Removing a back tooth will cause the rest of the teeth on that jaw to separate, leaving unsightly gaps that can trap food leading to further decay or tartar problems. So you should also go with a porcelain implant and bridle style retainer. You may want to get one of those neck cones to prevent the little darling from being able to remove the retainer, they are bad about wearing their retainer and it really pisses off Dibs and Stuckincincy when they accidentally find it in the litter box while collecting stool samples to check for vitamin deficiencies.

But if you are cold, heartless, inhumane and don't mind the gap toothed look, just get 100 mg of codeine, a piece of thread and a very tiny door knob to tie it to and do a home extraction for less than the cost of one can of fancy feast.

......and it really pisses off Dibs and Stuckincincy when they accidentally find it in the litter box while collecting stool samples to check for vitamin deficiencies.

729718[/snapback]

Hey! I resemble that remark. :)

I used to have a cat named china cat..

When china was about 3 month's old she would follow my wife and I around the house...We take our dog Benny for a walk and china would follow us, cat's being sneaky, she dart in out of bushes and behind trees, she probably thought she was a ninja from watching bruce lee movies with us in our living room...

China was fascinated with people tinlkling in the toilet, she would follow anyone in the bathroom and watch people do a 1 or 2 ..

About 6 months later, I woke up at 5 am to get ready for work...

I walked in the bathroom and turned on the light, and there was China seated on the toilet Tinkling...For a second I thought I was still asleep and dreaming..

That was a smart cat, pee in the toilet. open doors by jumping up and with both paws grabbing the knob and turning it till the door popped open.....

Wasn't toonces the driving cat, it was my china cat, best cat I ever had ..

.....open doors by jumping up and with both paws  grabbing the knob and turning it till the door popped open.....

729733[/snapback]

I don't care....I'm turning this into a cat-love fest.

When I first got my boy(Burmese) Musashi, my wife & I were still travelling up to my in-laws every Friday night to stay the weekends with them....about 1 hours drive away. We would take him up with us in his little cat-box, seat-belted into the back seat....he now loves drives in the car.

The in-laws had lever door handles on all of their internal doors. They had to replace all of them with smooth round knobs since Musashi learned to jump...grab...drop & kick....thus opening the doors. Nowhere was safe from him.

Those that think cats dumb have obviously never lived with one.

Those that think cats dumb have obviously never lived with one.

Exactly.

Our cat with the bad tooth used to use her head to turn on the water faucet in the bathroom so she could get fresh water. She never learned/bothered to turn it off though... Good thing it was never more than a trickle. :)

CW

I used to have a cat named china cat..

When china was about 3 month's old she would follow my wife and I around the house...We take our dog Benny for a walk and  china would follow us, cat's being sneaky, she dart in out of bushes and behind trees, she probably thought she was a ninja from watching bruce lee movies with us in our living room...

China was fascinated with  people tinlkling in the toilet, she would follow anyone in the bathroom and watch people do a 1 or 2 ..

About 6 months later, I woke up at 5 am to get ready for work...

I walked in the bathroom and turned on the light, and there was China seated on the toilet Tinkling...For a second I thought I was still asleep and dreaming..

That was a smart cat, pee in the toilet. open doors by jumping up and with both paws  grabbing the knob and turning it till the door popped open.....

Wasn't toonces the driving cat, it was my china cat, best cat I ever had ..

729733[/snapback]

I once had a cat that watched me play Euchre,

that cat could sit behiind my partner and sign

for me to order up or go alone.

Spades - both paws on head

Hearts - one paw on other paw

Diamonds - he would cover one eye with paw

Clubs - he would pee on my partner's feet.

We called him Poopsie.

Poopsie disappeared when the Chinese Buffet moved in.

I once had a cat that watched me play Euchre,

that cat could sit behiind my partner and sign

for me to order up or go alone.

Spades - both paws on head

Hearts - one paw on other paw

Diamonds - he would cover one eye with paw

Clubs - he would pee on my partner's feet.

We called him Poopsie.

Poopsie disappeared when the Chinese Buffet moved in.

729829[/snapback]

You must have lived in Lowell Mass.

And if you shop at the pet stores in lowell...

The propieter always says Sorry, we all full..

http://www.fsa.usda.gov/pas/fsanews/html/2...0/0500cover.htm