Jason Peters' base salaries through 2010

2006 500000.00

2007 1500000.00

2008 2200000.00

2009 2950000.00

2010 3400000.00

That's a total of $10.5M for those 5 years, which works out to $2.1M a year in base salary. Figure his signing bonus was about $5M (since signing bonus is usually less than than 50% of the total of a players' base salaries), and that's about $3.1M a year he'll be making. Pretty good!

2006  500000.00

2007  1500000.00

2008  2200000.00

2009  2950000.00

2010  3400000.00

That's a total of $10.5M for those 5 years, which works out to $2.1M a year in base salary.  Figure his signing bonus was about $5M (since signing bonus is usually less than than 50% of the total of a players' base salaries), and that's about $3.1M a year he'll be making.  Pretty good!

724213[/snapback]

If that's the case, it is a very good deal for the Bills. Not a huge layout, not a huge risk, you could cut him after three years and not get killed at all. If he progresses like we and they project, it is a steal.

what i'd really liek to see is the bills give out his SB as a one time roster bonus right now. then we could take the entire cap hit for the bonus this year when we have the room, and not have to worry about ANY dead cap down the road.

I like the deal.  I thought it was going to be 4yr/$10 million.

Uh, 4yr/$10M is $2.5M a year, which is a better deal. But I like this one.

And yeah, having the signing bonus being a roster bonus would be a great move, IF they can get their other stuff done without it hindering things.

Uh, 4yr/$10M is $2.5M a year, which is a better deal.  But I like this one.

And yeah, having the signing bonus being a roster bonus would be a great move, IF they can get their other stuff done without it hindering things.

724266[/snapback]

I was saying that because that seemed to be the length and the amount of all the contracts that Marv handed out. Reed, Price, and I believe Royal all recieved that same contract.

Sounds very NE Patriot-like! Find a good player, sign him early to a good deal and have a good team player for a reasonable cap number. At the end of the season he was our best OL. Gandy was next and we have both of them for this year. Our OL could really be a surprise this year.

what i'd really liek to see is the bills give out his SB as a one time roster bonus right now. then we could take the entire cap hit for the bonus this year when we have the room, and not have to worry about ANY dead cap down the road.

724243[/snapback]

Exactly.

We have so much room under the cap with nobody left to spend it on. The money goes to Peters right now in either event so why not put it under this years cap?... :)

IMO this is the first true error Marv has made.

724243[/snapback]

Bingo. That's exactly the first thought that popped into my head. You gotta wonder if we even considered something like that. Those would be the types of questions I'd like to see someone ask Marv.

it is a nice deal....and very cap friendly.

beats the heck out of the ridiculous deal they signed Peerless Price to. that one is gonna be a killer to swallow when he gets cut.  :)

724491[/snapback]

I thought there was very little signing bonus with the PP deal.

Sorry Marv....I thought it was your decision to give a signing bonus when a roster bonus would have been far wiser.

Does anyone know who's decision the dollars & cents falls to?

I thought there was very little signing bonus with the PP deal.

Sorry Marv....I thought it was your decision to give a signing bonus when a roster bonus would have been far wiser.

Does anyone know who's decision the dollars & cents falls to?

724527[/snapback]

Jim Overdorf handles the contracts and the cap. He had this role for Donahoe as well and he is quite astute.

Everything must be cleared through Marv and Ralph but I would think Marv defers to Overdorf on these things.

If giving Peters his guaranteed money in a roster bonus versus a signing bonus were feasible, I'm sure they would have done it.  But we don't know what Peters got in any case.

724541[/snapback]

True, true....I obviously assume it is feasible....does anyone know if it is or if it isn't? I'm not being funny here, I would really like to know if my assumptions make me astute or if they make me an ass. :)

If giving Peters his guaranteed money in a roster bonus versus a signing bonus were feasible, I'm sure they would have done it.  But we don't know what Peters got in any case.

724541[/snapback]

No, there are reasons for or against it. They have the money (if it's around 5 mil or so) but they may not want to go into the season with little to play with, they may wish to use it on Clements if he starts playing well, they may wish to see if there is a late cut like Lawyer Milloy, etc. So it's a gamble if they do it but it probably would be the right thing to do.

True, true....I obviously assume it is feasible....does anyone know if it is or if it isn't?  I'm not being funny here, I would really like to know if my assumptions make me astute or if they make me an ass. :)

724542[/snapback]

Sure, they can do it. Or they can give it to him in straight salary for this year instead of a signing bonus, like the Vikes did with Antoine.

No, there are reasons for or against it. They have the money (if it's around 5 mil or so) but they may not want to go into the season with little to play with, they may wish to use it on Clements if he starts playing well, they may wish to see if there is a late cut like Lawyer Milloy, etc. So it's a gamble if they do it but it probably would be the right thing to do.

724546[/snapback]

I thought we had close to 15mil left under the cap(before Peters signing). ....maybe it was 12mil??? Anyway, maybe this implies we will be re-signing a few players throughout the season. I hope so, it would be nice to sure up the talent that we actually have for the foreseeable future.