In a rare moment of clarity...

I've always liked Larry Felser because he is candid with his opinions concerning the Bills. The last article I caught that had him addressing the QB's was April 29th (day of the draft) when he literally said that the Bills had three back-ups competing for the starters role. He also stated that he felt it was boiling down to Losman versus Nall. The bulk of the column, however, dealt with Willis McGahee stepping up to the status of Shaun Alexander with the Seahawks. I'd prefer the Losman comparison to be more Lamonica-like in the long run.... minus the trade to Oakland!!!

wow, that article really puts some perspective on the franchise QB.....I think it's also a very good argument as to why we should give Losman a fair assessment before cutting bait.

I'd prefer the Losman comparison to be more Lamonica-like in the long run.... minus the trade to Oakland!!!

720473[/snapback]

After being drafted in the 24th, yes, the 24th round (which I guess would be about the 6th round these days) Daryle Lamonica was absolutely terrible on the Bills for all of his four full years, although he didn't play all that much. It was a typical fan lovefest with the back-up even though he never played, and then when he did he was worse than the starter, complemented by revisionist history. Outside of a quarter or half here and there, Lamonica was never even remotely good until his fifth year, his first on the Raiders.

http://profootballreference.com/players/LamoDa00.htm

Since he retired, his articles have been pretty lame, but I thought the one he did on the Sabres run was great. He talked about it might have been even better than the Bills runs, because of the length, the rollercoaster, and the number of games, etc..........Coming from a football guy, it was quite an admission.

Since he retired, his articles have been pretty lame, but I thought the one he did on the Sabres run was great.  He talked about it might have been even better than the Bills runs, because of the length, the rollercoaster, and the number of games, etc..........Coming from a football guy, it was quite an admission.

720500[/snapback]

I like him better since he retired as his pre-retirement columns always seemed to have a strong whiff to me of his having the additonal agenda of balancing his editing duties as boss of a bunch of reporters like Sullivan and Carucci and also having his words influence how the entire team dealt with his beat reporters from the paper.

I felt like retirement liberated him a bit and I appreciated some of the historical perpsective like that provided in this article, inside info on how the HOF Committee (which he was a member of) was making decisions. and observations which were right on target like comparing the years of experience of the OL position coaches in the last umpteen SB teams and the amount of experience of Bills hirees like Vinky.

Like everybody, he has his opinions and sometimes if not often they struck me as incorrect. However, they rarely were the fact-free opinions we usually get and I respected him or that.

I've heard it said that a true expert is the one who agrees with your opinion  :doh: 

Larry Felser's article on QB's today was interesting, informative and coherent.

What happened???

Anyway, I think he’s a true expert!  :blink:  :doh:

Felser's article

720397[/snapback]

Felser used to be the editor and wrote the lead article for Street & Smith's annual football magazine, an adjunct to his long Bflo. Evening News career. When he left the editorship of S&S, it diminished in import.

Whether one agrees with him or not, he's one of the notables in sports writing. His opinions through the years have been sagacious.

Edited by stuckincincy

Whether one agrees with him or not, he's one of the notables in sports writing. His opinions through the years have been sagatious.

720911[/snapback]

They've also been sagacious. Sorry, I only knew that because it was on some "word of the day" link on my Google page. :doh:

I've heard it said that a true expert is the one who agrees with your opinion  :doh: 

Larry Felser's article on QB's today was interesting, informative and coherent.

What happened???

Anyway, I think he’s a true expert!  :blink:  :doh:

Felser's article

720397[/snapback]

Actually, it's nothing more than another one of his lists.No journalism here

I have been reading Felser's columns for the past 33 years...I have always thought he was a pretty lousy sports writer...I have been told, his best years were in the 1960's...I have read more eloquent and informative posts on TSW than anything Felser has ever written, IMO. This article today, was pretty useless...but I still read it...old habits die hard. I can't believe that Felser is so revered by so many, who piss and moan about everything Jerry Sullivan writes...

Just a filler piece IMO.

All he said was "It usually takes a long time to replace a HOF QB. Here are some examples."

No analysis at all really.

Had he given information on how the HOF QBs were obtained(what round, how many years developing, changing trends through NFL history, etc, etc) I would view it in a better light.