"Pro Football Talk" preseason rankings

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess this is a "glass is half empty" view of the 2006 Bills.  Discuss.

Link:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

717452[/snapback]

I didn't read the whole thing, but I can't see how anyone could rank the Bills lower than San Fran, Houston and Oakland. There's just no way. If I were ranking teams, the Bills would probably fall somewhere in the 25 - 29 range, so I don't mind much seeing us ranked very low. But there is no way we should rank lower than those three teams based on last years results and this years changes.

Guess this is a "glass is half empty" view of the 2006 Bills.  Discuss.

Link:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

717452[/snapback]

At this point, I just assume that everyone pick us as the #32 team in the league.....let's just get rid of EVERY OUNCE of expectation.....works for me.

I didn't read the whole thing, but I can't see how anyone could rank the Bills lower than San Fran, Houston and Oakland.  There's just no way.  If I were ranking teams, the Bills would probably fall somewhere in the 25 - 29 range, so I don't mind much seeing us ranked very low.  But there is no way we should rank lower than those three teams based on last years results and this years changes.

717456[/snapback]

Respect is earned and the Bills organization has done nothing to earn any of late.

First off, they hired a retread head coach. The media HATES retreads, and for good reason, they usually produce the same crap from stop to stop and keep getting jobs because they are nice guys who are just glad to have the job. We hope Jauron is different, but he is what he HAS been until proven otherwise and that is a coach with 5+ years of HC experience, a dreadful record and an unspectacular history as a coordinator.

The choice of GM was a personal buddy of the owner who has never been a GM and is about 20 years past his expiration date for the job. His free agent haul brought in nobody of any merit whatsoever and in terms of performance, they appeared to lose considerably more than they gained. Their draft seemed to make little sense relative to their crying needs up front and the general belief that championship teams are built from the inside out. On paper, they appear to be worse off as an organization than last year, when they ranked in the bottom 5 of the league both offensively AND defensively. I mean, in a league of parity, the Bills organization looks as bad as it gets. We hope they are wrong, but the media is justified in calling this team a mess.

Respect is earned and the Bills organization has done nothing to earn any of late.

717469[/snapback]

And as I said, at this point in the pre-season, I would rank the Bills near the bottom the league. But do you think Oakland has done more this offseason than the Bills? They still have the same crap owner making all the wrong decisions, and hired there very own retread to coach the team....a retread that is not only 10 years past his time, but wasn't much to talk about when he was in the league the last time?

San Fran needs help at pretty much every single position on the field. They have a horrible coach, and a horrible GM.

Houston, while I do think they have the best HC hire of the off-season, haven't made enough moves to turn their team around in year.

And I don't even make mention of teams like NY, NO, GB, Cleveland, Detroit, and to a lesser extent Tennessee and Arizona who are all on par with the Bills for having bad teams and either retread coaches or rookie HC who have proven nothing. (exception to Fischer)

Again, the Bills have everything to prove, but there ARE worse teams.

First off, they hired a retread head coach.  The media HATES retreads, and for good reason, they usually produce the same crap from stop to stop and keep getting jobs because they are nice guys who are just glad to have the job.  We hope Jauron is different, but he is what he HAS  been until proven otherwise and that is a coach with 5+ years of HC experience, a dreadful record and an unspectacular history as a coordinator.

The choice of GM was a personal buddy of the owner who has never been a GM and is about 20 years past his expiration date for the job.  His free agent haul brought in nobody of any merit whatsoever and in terms of performance, they appeared to lose considerably more than they gained.   Their draft seemed to make little sense relative to their crying needs up front and the general belief that championship teams are built from the inside out.  On paper, they appear to be worse off as an organization than last year, when they ranked in the bottom 5 of the league both offensively AND defensively.  I mean, in a league of parity, the Bills organization looks as bad as it gets.  We hope they are wrong, but the media is justified in calling this team a mess.

First off, the Bills were NOT hiring anyone but what you call a retread.  The experimental first time no credentials hires worked really well, you noticed?

Your dismissal of the FAs is pure negative speculation(no merit whatsoever?).

Your dismissal of the coaching staff has little merit in itself.  Which parts of the current organization are worse than the previous?

In sum, your in depth take on the Bills qualifies you for a superficial team examiner media position, nothing more. 

717469[/snapback]

At this point, I just assume that everyone pick us as the #32 team in the league.....let's just get rid of EVERY OUNCE of expectation.....works for me.

717457[/snapback]

And there is no where to go but to the Top.....

717457[/snapback]

That is great...We have nowhere to go below...They cannot rank us any lower

That is great...We have nowhere to go below...They cannot rank us any lower

717490[/snapback]

exactly, I think it's a good thing.....we've had to put up with high expectations for the past few years, only to be let down in the end. Hell, not even in the end....more like by the third damn game. I just assume expect nothing good out of this team this year, and then I can just relax and watch my Bills.

First off, they hired a retread head coach.  The media HATES retreads, and for good reason, they usually produce the same crap from stop to stop and keep getting jobs because they are nice guys who are just glad to have the job.  We hope Jauron is different, but he is what he HAS  been until proven otherwise and that is a coach with 5+ years of HC experience, a dreadful record and an unspectacular history as a coordinator.

The choice of GM was a personal buddy of the owner who has never been a GM and is about 20 years past his expiration date for the job.  His free agent haul brought in nobody of any merit whatsoever and in terms of performance, they appeared to lose considerably more than they gained.  Their draft seemed to make little sense relative to their crying needs up front and the general belief that championship teams are built from the inside out.  On paper, they appear to be worse off as an organization than last year, when they ranked in the bottom 5 of the league both offensively AND defensively.  I mean, in a league of parity, the Bills organization looks as bad as it gets.  We hope they are wrong, but the media is justified in calling this team a mess.

717469[/snapback]

I posted this before but I love these numbers:

Dick Jauron

Year TM | W L T |

+----------+--------------

| 1999 chi | 6 10 0 |

| 2000 chi | 5 11 0 |

| 2001 chi | 13 3 0 |

| 2002 chi | 4 12 0 |

| 2003 chi | 7 9 0 |

Totals 35 45

Bill Belichick

Year TM | W L T |

| 1991 cle | 6 10 0 |

| 1992 cle | 7 9 0 |

| 1993 cle | 7 9 0 |

| 1994 cle | 11 5 0 |

| 1995 cle | 5 11 0 |

Totals 36 44

Quite simply, BB didn't become a genius until Bledsoe was almost killed by Mo Lewis and received some gift calls from the refs. DJ went 13-3 and was coach of the year with Jim Miller and Shane Matthews. I'll admit that I wasn't overly thrilled by the DJ hire at first but then again, but who was the better candidate? The last two hirings were first time guys that sucked. We went with a guy with a head coaching background and is a former COY winner. You could do worse. I wonder what the Pats fans (assuming they had some before the Brady era) reaction was when they hired BB, who was concerned a retread. Same as the Broncos with Shanahan. I'm not going to state that he will be as successful as these two but to dismiss a coach who went 13-3 before the season starts is just wrong in my eyes.

As for Marv, it was the exact opposite of the coaching situation. Mr. Wilson got burned by a guy everyone believed was the top GM candidate at the time in TD. So he went back to a guy he trusted and helped lead the best era in Bills football. Obviously, there will be some bumps on the way but overall, I think it has been a solid if not flashy offseason. Good teams have depth and the Bills are building that. And I don't understand why it is better to have rookie draft pick lineman rather than veterans who have played in the league. We sign a guy who has 7 years of NFL experience and started every game for a NFC championship team (Reyes), plus another guy who is in fifth year & began starting as his team went on one of the longest win streaks in the league (Fowler).

Obviously to the national media, this offseason doesn't seem like much. But when you really break things down, the Bills have made a lot of smart moves (except the Reed re-signing :pirate: ). So I maybe be crazy, but I expected to see a good competitive team that will shock a lot of people. Time will tell if I'm a genius or a moron. Let's hope I'm a genius. :rolleyes: And the 49ers and Jets are horrible.

most of this i can understand the the questionmarks but this is what i hate

"Defense: Beyond the top five or six units in the league, defensive teams in fantasy football are generally a crapshoot. The Bills' defense fall squarely into this category -- it's "crap" and someone should "shoot" them. C-."

most of this i can understand the the questionmarks but this is what i hate

"Defense:  Beyond the top five or six units in the league, defensive teams in fantasy football are generally a crapshoot. The Bills' defense fall squarely into this category -- it's "crap" and someone should "shoot" them.  C-."

717504[/snapback]

That's why the article is crap. They're more interested in HOW they're saying something rather than what they're saying. All the little quips are just so cute, it's like reading the birth certificate for a Cabbage Patch doll. (See...I just did it, too.)

Wow. Talk about low expectations. I think we might have the worst offense in the NFL, but very good special teams and the possibility that ML/DJ's defensive plans might pan out earlier than expected should move us up a bit. The possible emergence of one of the qb's is a wild card that might get us up to an 8 win season.

Dick Jauron

Year TM | W L T |

| 1999 chi | 6 10 0 |

| 2000 chi | 5 11 0 |

| 2001 chi | 13 3 0 |

| 2002 chi | 4 12 0 |

| 2003 chi | 7 9 0 |

Totals 35 45

Bill Belichick

Year TM | W L T |

| 1991 cle | 6 10 0 |

| 1992 cle | 7 9 0 |

| 1993 cle | 7 9 0 |

| 1994 cle | 11 5 0 |

| 1995 cle | 5 11 0 |

Totals 36 44

Quite simply, BB didn't become a genius until Bledsoe was almost killed by Mo Lewis and received some gift calls from the refs.  DJ went 13-3 and was coach of the year with Jim Miller and Shane Matthews.  I'll admit that I wasn't overly thrilled by the DJ hire at first but then again, but who was the better candidate?  The last two hirings were first time guys that sucked.  We went with a guy with a head coaching background and is a former COY winner.  You could do worse.  I wonder what the Pats fans (assuming they had some before the Brady era) reaction was when they hired BB, who was concerned a retread.  Same as the Broncos with Shanahan.  I'm not going to state that he will be as successful as these two but to dismiss a coach who went 13-3 before the season starts is just wrong in my eyes.

As for Marv, it was the exact opposite of the coaching situation.  Mr. Wilson got burned by a guy everyone believed was the top GM candidate at the time in TD.  So he went back to a guy he trusted and helped lead the best era in Bills football.  Obviously, there will be some bumps on the way but overall, I think it has been a solid if not flashy offseason.  Good teams have depth and the Bills are building that.  And I don't understand why it is better to have rookie draft pick lineman rather than veterans who have played in the league.  We sign a guy who has 7 years of NFL experience and started every game for a NFC championship team (Reyes), plus another guy who is in fifth year & began starting as his team went on one of the longest win streaks in the league (Fowler).

Obviously to the national media, this offseason doesn't seem like much.  But when you really break things down, the Bills have made a lot of smart moves (except the Reed re-signing  :pirate: ).  So I maybe be crazy, but I expected to see a good competitive team that will shock a lot of people.  Time will tell if I'm a genius or a moron.  Let's hope I'm a genius.  :rolleyes:  And the 49ers and Jets are horrible.

717498[/snapback]

I agree with your opinion on the coach. Jury is out on that one. I feel for him in a way because he's coming into a pretty bad situation

As far as teh gm hire is concerned Im still hoping its some sort of bad joke. hahahhah... ok Ralph now who really is our gm???

The hiring of a 80+ gm cant be spun in a postive fashion. Just because he was a decent coach does not mean he's a gm. Not even in his "younger" days as a Bills hc.

Dick Jauron

Year TM | W L T |

| 1999 chi | 6 10 0 |

| 2000 chi | 5 11 0 |

| 2001 chi | 13 3 0 |

| 2002 chi | 4 12 0 |

| 2003 chi | 7 9 0 |

Totals 35 45

Bill Belichick

Year TM | W L T |

| 1991 cle | 6 10 0 |

| 1992 cle | 7 9 0 |

| 1993 cle | 7 9 0 |

| 1994 cle | 11 5 0 |

| 1995 cle | 5 11 0 |

Totals 36 44

Quite simply, BB didn't become a genius until Bledsoe was almost killed by Mo Lewis and received some gift calls from the refs.  DJ went 13-3 and was coach of the year with Jim Miller and Shane Matthews.  I'll admit that I wasn't overly thrilled by the DJ hire at first but then again, but who was the better candidate?  The last two hirings were first time guys that sucked.  We went with a guy with a head coaching background and is a former COY winner.  You could do worse.  I wonder what the Pats fans (assuming they had some before the Brady era) reaction was when they hired BB, who was concerned a retread.  Same as the Broncos with Shanahan.  I'm not going to state that he will be as successful as these two but to dismiss a coach who went 13-3 before the season starts is just wrong in my eyes.

As for Marv, it was the exact opposite of the coaching situation.  Mr. Wilson got burned by a guy everyone believed was the top GM candidate at the time in TD.  So he went back to a guy he trusted and helped lead the best era in Bills football.  Obviously, there will be some bumps on the way but overall, I think it has been a solid if not flashy offseason.  Good teams have depth and the Bills are building that.  And I don't understand why it is better to have rookie draft pick lineman rather than veterans who have played in the league.  We sign a guy who has 7 years of NFL experience and started every game for a NFC championship team (Reyes), plus another guy who is in fifth year & began starting as his team went on one of the longest win streaks in the league (Fowler).

Obviously to the national media, this offseason doesn't seem like much.  But when you really break things down, the Bills have made a lot of smart moves (except the Reed re-signing  :pirate: ).  So I maybe be crazy, but I expected to see a good competitive team that will shock a lot of people.  Time will tell if I'm a genius or a moron.  Let's hope I'm a genius.  :rolleyes:  And the 49ers and Jets are horrible.

717498[/snapback]

Belichick got a second chance because he was a brilliant coordinator with rings to show for it. You can compare records all you'd like, but Belichick EARNED his way back just as Mike Shanahan earned his way back after being fired by the Raiders.

Jauron didn't do anything special to warrant this second opportunity. He was a VERY speculatory hire by the Bears in the first place, as he hadn't really proven much and it's not like he blew anybody away with his work since his firing, including his uninspired stint as interim head coach for the Lions last year. You see Belichick, most people see Dave Wannstedt or Bruce Coslett or any number of retreads that really didn't deserve their second chances, but got them for reasons other than exceptional coaching. I hope I'm wrong, because this hiring is 3-5 more years up in smoke if he doesn't show something he hasn't to date.

As for your reach about Reyes and Fowler, are you going to say that the Bills were dumb for cutting Milloy because he was the starting safety for a Super Bowl winner in NE, or that cutting Adams was a mistake because he was a starting DT for arguably the best defense ever in Baltimore and has played in two Super Bowls? I mean, you are REALLY reaching and that just illustrates how unimpressive the Bills transactions were.

As for good teams having depth, most good teams have good starters too. I mean the excuses are LAME. It will be great if they prove the media wrong, and a lot can happen. JP could emerge, the offensive line could develop some synergy, the defense could too. But on paper they SUCK. They are terrible and that's all we know right now.

And as I said, at this point in the pre-season, I would rank the Bills near the bottom the league.  But do you think Oakland has done more this offseason than the Bills?  They still have the same crap owner making all the wrong decisions, and hired there very own retread to coach the team....a retread that is not only 10 years past his time, but wasn't much to talk about when he was in the league the last time?

San Fran needs help at pretty much every single position on the field.  They have a horrible coach, and a horrible GM.

Houston, while I do think they have the best HC hire of the off-season, haven't made enough moves to turn their team around in year.

And I don't even make mention of teams like NY, NO, GB, Cleveland, Detroit, and to a lesser extent Tennessee and Arizona who are all on par with the Bills for having bad teams and either retread coaches or rookie HC who have proven nothing.  (exception to Fischer)

Again, the Bills have everything to prove, but there ARE worse teams.

717475[/snapback]

Art Shell never deserved to be fired in the first place. He was a winner and a leader. On paper, he's clearly a more promising hire than Jauron, and the Raiders are going to put up some points. They blew the Bills out last year, their QB beat the Bills last year and they have one of the true difference makers in the league in Moss. If he's healthy, he will tip the scale to them in some games they really shouldn't win.

As you noted, Kubiak looks good. His coaching career has been very good. He has earned this shot. Jauron probably hasn't earned any of his three. Coaching is priority #1 in the NFL and they added guys like Kubiak and Mike Shermann. We got the likes of Jauron and Perry Fewell. Right there, advantage Texans. Add in that they drafted a DE who could be the next Julius Peppers, a true foundation player, and you have at least realistic optimism, even if you think Eric Moulds sucks.

San Francisco is a possible exception, they have a Dick Jauron-like head coach in Nolan, a guy who definately didn't deserve his job, but at least he hasn't had 4 losing seasons yet. That chapter hasn't been written. On paper, they are as thin or thinner than the Bills, but they also play in the weaker NFC.

The Jets possibly too, but they have a Belichick protege as their HC, which makes them at least seem dangerous, and the sad truth is that on the field they did beat the Bills in the season finale and had a clearly better defense so it's not like it's some stretch to think they might be better than the Bills.

The rest of the teams you mentioned all have something that really stands out better than Buffalo, be it coaching, talent, young talent, proven QB play. Those are EASY picks, though I do think that one of the Bills two wins this year will be at home vs. Green Bay.

I agree with your opinion on the coach. Jury is out on that one. I feel for him in a way because he's coming into a pretty bad situation

717522[/snapback]

Jury is out, but the circumstantial evidence is overwhelming. He is coming into a bad situation because he is a retread and that's his lot at this point. This is about as good as it was probably ever going to get for him, as most of the retread loving organizations of years past have moved on to greener pastures. The Cinci's and Arizona's of the league have stabilized, and the other suckass teams choose to hire promising coordinators or guys with good track records.

The hiring of a 80+ gm cant be spun in a postive fashion.

717522[/snapback]

Please explain why. Marv Levy still appears to be sharper than a tack, and could probably outrun you. I have said it before, and I'll say it again, ruling someone out simply because of his age is just asinine.

I don't believe Marv is intended to be a long term answer, rather, he was brought in to bring some much needed stability. To me this offseason shows a stability to be admired. He and DJ formulated a plan, and picked not the most popular players, but guys that they think will fit their scheme.

I'm hoping it doesn't change, but at least to this point they aren't trying to sell us the "team on the cusp of a championship" crap we got from the last front office.

Jury is out, but the circumstantial evidence is overwhelming.  He is coming into a bad situation because he is a retread and that's his lot at this point.  This is about as good as it was probably ever going to get for him, as most of the retread loving organizations of years past have moved on to greener pastures.  The Cinci's and Arizona's of the league have stabilized, and the other suckass teams choose to hire promising coordinators or guys with good track records.

717565[/snapback]

Are you thick? The organization was not going for any promising coordinators or guys (Sherman) with good track records who wanted more control than Ralph and Marv were prepared to grant. The promising CO route was a complete failure for the last five years. The organization needs stability more than anything. The two current coordinaters will have a chance to show their stuff. Marv is here to set a direction and stick to it. Guess that's too hard to see.

The previous GM was a fraud and his HCs didn't know their asses from first base or the kicking tee, which may be more appropriate.