Are the Patriots on Thin Ice?

I just had a brain fart. Right now, the Patriots are only carrying 3 QBs. After Brady, they have this Matt Cassel (rookie last year), who was a backup to Matt Leinart at USC. Tte only other QB they've got is a rookie,Todd Mortenson.

1) Doesn't a team really need 4 or 5 QBs in training camp, just so that the top two don't get overworked?

2) Is Cassel that good the Patriots have enough confidence in him that if Brady goes down he can step in, or do they have plans to wait until another team cuts a QB and then scoop him up?

But they have Bruschi

He just goes over to the sidelines and heals Brady after every series, or he will just step in as the QB

I hear in one practice, he threw the ball from the back of his own endzone right to an open receiver in the back of the other endzone and hit him right on the numbers. He then ran back to the sidelines and cured cancer using his gatorade that he refused to drink cause it has no effect on him.

I just had a brain fart.  Right now, the Patriots are only carrying 3 QBs.  After Brady, they have this Matt Cassel (rookie last year), who was a backup to Matt Leinart at USC.  Tte only other QB they've got is a rookie,Todd Mortenson.

1) Doesn't a team really need 4 or 5 QBs in training camp, just so that the top two don't get overworked?

2) Is Cassel that good the Patriots have enough confidence in him that if Brady goes down he can step in, or do they have plans to wait until another team cuts a QB and then scoop him up?

716682[/snapback]

I have to watch suffer through all of the Patriots preseason games as the only football on up here, and last preseason Cassel was pretty good. 'Course we all know preseason doesn't mean richard, but with Brady sitting he played some vs. 1st string, some vs. 2nd, most against 3rd and looked consistent; had the poise of a vet and showed some good sense in the pocket, especially for a rookie. A little raw in some areas but he had all season in practice and could become a good backup.

Isn't Rohan Davey still there?

I thought they really liked him as there backup.

716685[/snapback]

I'm pretty sure Davey went to AZ last year and I do not remember him getting any work at all.

NE has been thin exactly in this way before as Bledsoe unexpectedly went down with a collapsed lung and an unsung second year pro named Brady took over for him.

Its a neat story, but they can't expect lightening to strike twice in this all working out if injuey should happen to befall Brady.

Suffice to say their best chance is if Brady is not hurt and from fellow teammates who will not be giving Brady any shoves in practice similar to one TV gave Losman which dl'ed him his rookie year and also NFL refs doing everything they can to protect Brady the effort will be made to avoid injury.

I hear in one practice, he threw the ball from the back of his own endzone right to an open receiver in the back of the other endzone and hit him right on the numbers. He then ran back to the sidelines and cured cancer using his gatorade that he refused to drink cause it has no effect on him.

716691[/snapback]

I heard he was the QB and WR on that very same play. He also picked up the blitzing LB allowing himself enough time to throw the ball to himself. I believe it was also an audible, he's godlike, but Bellichek is getting pissed.

I heard he was the QB and WR on that very same play.  He also picked up the blitzing LB allowing himself enough time to throw the ball to himself.  I believe it was also an audible, he's godlike, but Bellichek is getting pissed.

716705[/snapback]

Just to clarify, as odd as it may sound, Tedi was also the blitzing LB on that play.

The Pats are all about system and putting players in position to succeed. If Brady goes down, I would fully expect them to barely miss a beat.

I just had a brain fart.  Right now, the Patriots are only carrying 3 QBs.  After Brady, they have this Matt Cassel (rookie last year), who was a backup to Matt Leinart at USC.  Tte only other QB they've got is a rookie,Todd Mortenson.

The Pats have four QBs on the roster on the moment (the three you mentioned plus Corey Bramlet). I imagine that Mortenson and Bramlet are camp fodder, and that a vet will be brought in before TC (Fiedler seemed like a good fit, but he's gone to the Bucs).

One can never really read Belichick, but the Pats seem pretty high on Cassel. Whichever vet they bring in, I imagine Cassel will still be #2 on the depth chart.

One can never really read Belichick, but the Pats seem pretty high on Cassel.  Whichever vet they bring in, I imagine Cassel will still be #2 on the depth chart.

716764[/snapback]

That's my guess, too.

I think it's always a good idea to shuffle these 3rd tier qb's in and out. Occasionally, they work out.

B'gals picked up Dave Ragone a few months ago (Louisville, 2002) who was the NFLE MVP last year. He went to STL for the famous "undisclosed" draft choice.

I was surprised they got a pick for him.

716682[/snapback]

Yeah, actually Cassel is pretty damn good. They figured out a way to clone Tom Brady, unfortunately.

PTR

Put them in the category of many good teams that would be SOL if their starter went down.  See Jim Sorgi's Colts, Joey Harrington's Dolphins, Anthony Wright's Bengals, and so on.

716702[/snapback]

Why do I get the feeling that anyone the Pats have at qb will produce a significantly better offence than anything the Bills have to offer. Including Willis and whomever the starting qb will be?