I like this roster...looking at depth chart

I just had a look at the depth chart at buffalobills.com, and I think on paper we look like a pretty solid team. Very good wideouts, potentially great halfback, vastly improved OL from last year, very good tight ends....obvious question at QB, but Holcomb can be good if Losman ain't ready.

On defense, i think the whole thing collapsed when Takeo got hurt, and then we lost Edwards. We've got really good corners, and I like the safety position too (imagine if Whitner is worth the high pick). The linebackers are good, although I would rather put Crowell in Posey's slot, he's more productive. The DL may turn out to be really good if McCargo is as good as they think, and Triplett pays off....we've still got Tim Anderson....the DE position is solid.

I like the coaching staff too.

I just don't know why everybody seems to think this team is doomed. This could be a fun year.

I just don't know why everybody seems to think this team is doomed.  This could be a fun year.

714810[/snapback]

Probably because "doomed" sells more newspapers than happy.

I like the new roster as well, think the OL will be much better (without the 2 big lumps of deadwood).

I'm optimistic, but what the heck do I know? Just trying to have some fun.

This defense cannot stop the run. And the problem was far beyond Takeo Spikes. It was a combination of poor tackling, little penetration in the middle of the defense (Triplett will help, but the loss of PW still looms large).

If this team can make strides in stopping the run, then yes I will be optimistic. However, I have little reason to believe they will. McCargo is a rookie who plays the same position as Triplett. At other interior DL position, Tim Anderson is not a starting caliber player.

Stopping the run is still a problem area IMO.

On defense, i think the whole thing collapsed when Takeo got hurt, and then we lost Edwards.  We've got really good corners, and I like the safety position too (imagine if Whitner is worth the high pick).  The linebackers are good, although I would rather put Crowell in Posey's slot, he's more productive.  The DL may turn out to be really good if McCargo is as good as they think, and Triplett pays off....we've still got Tim Anderson....the DE position is solid. 

714810[/snapback]

To further Dawgg's point, in addition to stopping the run, the Defense needs to provide more consistent pressure on the QB, especially on 3rd down. (We didn't see too much of that last year). Schoebel is as solid as they come at RDE, but it is time for Kelsay or Denney to really step up on the other side.

I can't say that I expect much out of Takeo this year. While he is a warrior, an Achillies injury is not like an ACL, which might take 12 to 18 months to fully recover. Some players never regain their prior form, but here is hoping that he does.

I think that the key to your statement is that we look good on paper. Every team looks good on paper. Every team looks good in shorts at mini camp.

A big part of the teams success next year will depend on how quickly they are able to adjust to both a new offensive and a new defensive system. (of course everyone on this board has a different definition of success.)

I just don't know why everybody seems to think this team is doomed.  This could be a fun year.

714810[/snapback]

QB- Still no clear starter

RB- Will MaGahee rebound?

WR- How will this unit look without Moulds, and no clear QB?

TE- FA known more for blocking, 2nd year player never played a game

OL- Is Villerial done? Can Peters be more effective in run blocking? How will Flower and Reyes look?

DE- Will Kelsey or Denny step up? Can they apply pressure to the QB?

DT- Are any of the DT's legitimate starters? What happens if Anderson goes down?

LB- Takeo's Achilles, Posey slowing down, Fletcher isn't getting younger

DB- How will Whitner and Simpson develop, will Troy Vincent rebound?

HC- New

OC- New

DC- New

GM- New

Some of these have a better chance at working out then others but all of these question marks exist. We’ are really only set at a couple positions, then you factor in depth, and all the coaching changes. I just think it's to much to overcome.

Triplett will help, but the loss of PW still looms large).

Stopping the run is still a problem area IMO.

714869[/snapback]

I agree "Stopping the Run" is the biggest UNKNOWN of this team...We don't

know if Triplett and McCargo can stop the run.....However, it is harsh to say

that they cannot stop the run, since they are yet to play a down for the

BUffalo Bills...

As regards the PW, you have to let it go....It is like saying if we had

TW and Bruce Smith, we would still have a stellar line....

Some of these have a better chance at working out then others but all of these question marks exist. We’ are really only set at a couple positions, then you factor in depth, and all the coaching changes. I just think it's to much to overcome.

714950[/snapback]

Sometimes a fresh start gives all the confidence to the players.....and that

might not be a bad thing...

I just had a look at the depth chart at buffalobills.com, and I think on paper we look like a pretty solid team.  Very good wideouts, potentially great halfback, vastly improved OL from last year, very good tight ends....obvious question at QB, but Holcomb can be good if Losman ain't ready.

On defense, i think the whole thing collapsed when Takeo got hurt, and then we lost Edwards.  We've got really good corners, and I like the safety position too (imagine if Whitner is worth the high pick).  The linebackers are good, although I would rather put Crowell in Posey's slot, he's more productive.  The DL may turn out to be really good if McCargo is as good as they think, and Triplett pays off....we've still got Tim Anderson....the DE position is solid. 

I like the coaching staff too. 

714810[/snapback]

Run and stop the run.

You call the OL vastly improved .... true, but from an extremely poor level to start with. I like the changes that have been made. I would love to see a solid starting OT added to the roster. I'm not conviced we have one. Adding Royal will help.

We lack experience and depth at DT. After Triplett, a backup in Indy, we have Tim Anderson and two rookies. Stopping the run starts here. Hmmmm.

Add to that a big question mark at QB and a rookie most likely starting at SS.

I am more hopeful than optimistic at this point. I look forward to seeing the team develop and and hopeful for a strong finish.

....the DE position is solid. 

714810[/snapback]

I disagree 100%. Schobel is above average and seems to have reached his peak, Kelsay did not show anything last year and Denney is strictly a journeyman. There is nothing beyond these three and if Schobel ever goes down, the DE position would be a disaster.

First off, I said in my opinion.

Second, it's not as much of an unknown as you think. Triplett and McCargo offer solid depth at one DL position. However, the other remains an area of concern. You don't need to sit down and watch the 2006 season unfold to figure that out.

We know what Tim Anderson can do and the bottom line is he's not an NFL starting caliber player. As a second string player, he's great -- but he doesn't cut it as a starter. Behind Tim Anderson, who is left? Ron Edwards is gone and we have a bunch of scrubs waiting in the wings.

The bottom line is that the interior of the defensive line did not improve significantly... hopefully scheme can make up for that.

I agree "Stopping the Run" is the biggest  UNKNOWN of this team...We don't

know if Triplett and McCargo can stop the run.....However, it is harsh to say

that they cannot stop the run, since they are yet to play a down for the

BUffalo Bills...

As regards the PW, you have to let it go....It is like saying if we had

TW and Bruce Smith, we would still have a stellar line....

714969[/snapback]

Agreed. To be a playoff or Super Bowl contending team you need very good and great players.

Ours very good to great players are:

P Moorman

KR McGee

CB Clements

Borderline or Questionable:

Schoebel

McGahee

EVERYONE else that you think is Very Good or better is a projection. Period.

Those aren't the right positions, IMHO. Coupled that with the fact we are facing what could be a definitely improving Miami team and always tough Pats team and it spells no playoffs this year. I hate it but write it down. It is not happening. I believe the best we can hope for is a season like Miami's where we play very well at the end though I expect 8-8 would be our best hope.

First off, I said in my opinion.

Second, it's not as much of an unknown as you think. Triplett and McCargo offer solid depth at one DL position.  However, the other remains an area of concern.  You don't need to sit down and watch the 2006 season unfold to figure that out.

We know what Tim Anderson can do and the bottom line is he's not an NFL starting caliber player.  As a second string player, he's great -- but he doesn't cut it as a starter.  Behind Tim Anderson, who is left? Ron Edwards is gone and we have a bunch of scrubs waiting in the wings.

The bottom line is that the interior of the defensive line did not improve significantly... hopefully scheme can make up for that.

715062[/snapback]

unfortunately the scheme's weakness is stopping the power running game.

I try to be realistic, as much as possible at least. Buffalo needs much better play from the QB spot than they got last season. Reports from OTAs and minicamp are encouraging, but that doesn't prove we'll get better play.

Willis McGahee did not have a great season last year. Part of that was offensive line. Part was defenses cheating toward the line because they did not respect Buffalo's passing game. Part of it may even have been his attitude. Better QB play will result in a better running game, but it has to happen.

The receivers are fast but undersized and unproven except for Evans, and he doesn't have a lot of proof under his belt. Aiken and Nance have good size, but expect only one of them to make the team, and the survivor is going to have to light it up in preseason to get much playing time.

Anderson was a MAJOR disappoinment on the offensive line, and replacing him almost has to be an upgrade. I don't know how much of an upgrade Fowler will be over Teague if at all. A healthy Villarial should be an upgrade over whover was trying to sub for him last season (Preston most of the time I think). Preston should be much improved over his rookie season too, but there are still a lot of ifs here.

On defense, or on the defensive line at least, a lot of the team's success is going to be determined by how much better a system change can make the players who were here last season. Tripplett is new, and there are two rookie DTs. McCargo and Williiams will play in a rotation, but ton't expect them to be saviors. I'm really talking about Aaron Schobel, Tim Anderson and Chris Kelsay. Schobel will be fine. I think Anderson is going to be OK too, based mostly on the fact that he improved greatly in the last several games of the season. I wonder if Kelsay will be helped by a system change. If not, this defense is going to struggle. They need to get pressure from both ends.

I'm assuming Takeo Spikes will start in September, and while he may not be his old self for a while, I think he'll be OK. By the second half of the season, he should be an elite linebacker again. Fletcher-Baker is a good fit for this offence and will be fine. Crowell is going to push Posey and I don't think Fewell will hesitate to make the switch if Posey can't produce.

Clements (playing for a big contract in free agency) should have a comeback season and McGee is fine. Vincent will probably be better in this offence than in the former offensive system though I suspect he's slipping fast and could lose his starting position to Simpson by midseason. Whittner will start at SS and I think he's going to be fine. uffalo has really good secondary depth.

I try to be realistic, as much as possible at least.  Buffalo needs much better play from the QB spot than they got last season.  Reports from OTAs and minicamp are encouraging, but that doesn't prove we'll get better play.

Willis McGahee did not have a great season last year.  Part of that was offensive line.  Part was defenses cheating toward the line because they did not respect Buffalo's passing game.  Part of it may even have been his attitude.  Better QB play will result in a better running game, but it has to happen.

The receivers are fast but undersized and unproven except for Evans, and he doesn't have a lot of proof under his belt.  Aiken and Nance have good size, but expect only one of them to make the team, and the survivor is going to have to light it up in preseason to get much playing time.

Anderson was a MAJOR disappoinment on the offensive line, and replacing him almost has to be an upgrade.  I don't know how much of an upgrade Fowler will be over Teague if at all.  A healthy Villarial should be an upgrade over whover was trying to sub for him last season (Preston most of the time I think).  Preston should be much improved over his rookie season too, but there are still a lot of ifs here. 

On defense, or on the defensive line at least, a lot of the team's success is going to be determined by how much better a system change can make the players who were here last season.  Tripplett is new, and there are two rookie DTs.  McCargo and Williiams will play in a rotation, but ton't expect them to be saviors.  I'm really talking about Aaron Schobel, Tim Anderson and Chris Kelsay.  Schobel will be fine.  I think Anderson is going to be OK too, based mostly  on the fact that he improved greatly in the last several games of the season.  I wonder if Kelsay will be helped by a system change.  If not, this defense is going to struggle.  They need to get pressure from both ends. 

I'm assuming Takeo Spikes will start in September, and while he may not be his old self for a while, I think he'll be OK.  By the second half of the season, he should be an elite linebacker again.  Fletcher-Baker is a good fit for this offence and will be fine.  Crowell is going to push Posey and I don't think Fewell will hesitate to make the switch if Posey can't produce.

Clements (playing for a big contract in free agency) should have a comeback season and McGee is fine.  Vincent will probably be better in this offence than in the former offensive system though I suspect he's slipping fast and could lose his starting position to Simpson by midseason.  Whittner will start at SS and I think he's going to be fine.  uffalo has really good secondary depth.

715128[/snapback]

I agree with most of what you said. The key points you made, IMHO, are that we are "OK" at many spots. IMHO, that is not good. OK is just a few spots will quality to very good play elsewhere gets a team to the promise land.

My sense IMHO is:

QB- folks overemphasize the importance of the heavily marketed position. It is important as the QB transfers the play calls and touches the ball on virtually all offensive plays. However, being important does not mean that D play (the QB ain't on the field at all), ST play (the QB ain't on the field at all), are not essential also and even the O play needs solid OL play and good playcalling to get the most out of a QB.

If you QB is talented that is great and if you have Peyton Manning then a QB emphasis as far as your prospects is warranted (though the fact is even with Manning you don't get o the SB without a ticket.

Your QB does need to be adequate to get to the playoffs. but adequacy does not meand you have to be Tom Brady, it can mean a number of things from simply OK and keep your team out of trouble to even bad in the cas of a stud D like Chicago last year.

I do not think any one of the three QB candidates is likely to be adequate, but I do think that in combination it is likely 1 of these 3 will be adequate. Losman probably not but most likely to step up of the 3. Nall is a wildcard which makes him least likelly to be adequate but he is intriguing. KH has never been consistent enough to be a starter in his ten years of play but ten years gives him the smarts to stay out of trouble.

I think the OL play and play calling by the coaches are much biigger question marks than one of these three proving to be adequate.

OL- Run and stop the run determines alot. This OL will say alot about how well we run. The good news is the probable starters look far better than last years starters (though this says more about the cutworthy inadequacy of MW and Anderson and the less than commanding presence of Teague. The problem is that we look pretty thin at back-up and the braintrust is going to need to develop these players or miraculously avoid injury.

RB- The whining about WM is mostly amusing. This "average" RB somehow finished in the top third in yards gained rushing and really was not used as a receiver the way many felt he should have been. Whats funny is that folks accuse him of running at half speed but then fail to acknowledge that he gained over 1000 yards running half speed.

I think the bigger running issues are that our back-up Thomas should be better than Williams (not saying much)and is a wildcard and we got little from the FB. Injury is my biggest worry about WM.

WR- We have the speed in Evans, Price and Parrish and some RAC potential in Reed. The key here to me is scheme and if we can get these olayers in spots they can do what they can do and not what they have trouble doing, this may be a potent rather than troubled unit.

TE- The game here is for the TE to be a 6th blocker and to occaisonally use them as a change-up. This is Royals game and if Everett shows some of the promise which got him drafted the receiving unit looks very scary to opponents .

ST- This unit finished first statistically two years in a row and the emphasis Matve places on ST with April getting promoted to Asst. GC means that this unit can stay productive.

DBs- This looks like a strength for this team with the switch to the Cover 2 playing to that strength. Clements will have plenty of incentive to perform in his tag year and arguably McGee is a better player. Folks appear to be completely missing the boat in predicting or advocating cutting TV as he led the team in combined turnover, the scheme switch goes to his strength and diminishes reliance on folks biggest complaint about him. Most important, immediate starter Whitmer, needs a year talent Yobouty and second day pick who needs some schooling Simpson will be able to get on the field coaching from TV/

LB- A lot will be demanded of this unit and if TKO comes back and allows Crowell to replace Posey and join Fletcher who still is productive despite folks seemingly expect him to go on Medicare this unit if whole is up to the challenge. In contrast to the lack of depth on the OL. at LB the backups are alll good players. This will be a challenge but is one we can meet.

DL- The biggest wildcard on the team. I agree with folks who simply do not see how we can play a traditional run stopping success with the top 4 DTs maxung out at 304 lbs. However, this means to me not that we are simply DOOMED, but that former NFL Coach of the Uear and Farrell are going to play some different style and approach than the norm. They have forgotten more about D play than us posters even remember.

With penmetrating DTs who will need to be backed up with afggressive LBs and a high motor DES who if they pressure evey play I do not care how many sacks they get.

Overall, i see only 3 of the 16 games are we virtually certain to lose (NE, CHI, IND on the road) and though we will also lose our fair share of the remaining 13 I think these all will be competiive games where if the ball bounces the right way and we buld confidenc and momenturm we can possibllu or pronanly win in some cases.

The bottom line is that we are undefeated right now and I think the 0-16 or 3013 predictions say alot more about the outlook on life of the predictor than it does about the team.

QB- Still no clear starter

RB- Will MaGahee rebound?

WR- How will this unit look without Moulds, and no clear QB?

TE- FA known more for blocking, 2nd year player never played a game

OL- Is Villerial done? Can Peters be more effective in run blocking? How will Flower and Reyes look?

DE- Will Kelsey or Denny step up? Can they apply pressure to the QB?

DT- Are any of the DT's legitimate starters? What happens if Anderson goes down?

LB- Takeo's Achilles, Posey slowing down, Fletcher isn't getting younger

DB- How will Whitner and Simpson develop, will Troy Vincent rebound?

HC- New

OC- New

DC- New

GM- New

714950[/snapback]

Sooooo......what are you thinking? 10-6?......11-5 if things workout? ;)