30 or Younger Players

With the way our roster looks I don't expect us to be a legitimate contender anytime soon. Players could develop and accelerate the process but a new HC and GM almost certainly include some rebuilding. Year 3 is often looked at as the year a rebuilding team should see results. With that in mind I decided to look at our current roster to see which players would be 30 or younger three years from now (I didn't factor in the contract status of these players).

QB-J.P. Losmon, Craig Nail

RB- Willis MaGahee, Shaud Williams

WR- Lee Evans, Roscoe Parrish, Sam Aiken, Andre Davis, Josh Reed

TE- Kevin Everett

OT- Jason Peters, Mike Gandy, Greg Jerman

OG- Duke Preston, Justin Geisinger

C- Melvin Flower

DT- John McCargo, Larry Tripplet, Tim Anderson, Kyle Williams

DE- Chris Kelsey

LB- Angelo Crowell, Mario Haggan, Courtney Watson

CB- Terrance McGee, Nate Clements, Ashton Youboty, Eric King, Jabari Greer

FS- Ko Simpson, Rashad Baker

SS- Donte Whitner

It's rare to look at anybody's roster and say they'll be set in three years but what I like with this roster is the potential for depth and continuity. In three years we could have a lot of guys who will have experience starting, that could either continue being starters or turn into excellent back ups if we upgrade the talent. Then we have several units who could return a plethora of talented starters for years to come.

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

714586[/snapback]

I am going to watch the Buffalo Bills with great interest this season, and have every hope they will become a consistently strong competitor in the league for years to come.

Nice post, Mike. Marv and Dick have seemingly set the table very nicely to start things off. The one major shortage this group will have in three years though is big-game experience. Veteran leadership will need to be infused each season to ensure there are guys in Buffalo blue who will be able to remember which way is up when things get intense.

With the way our roster looks I don't expect us to be a legitimate contender anytime soon. Players could develop and accelerate the process but a new HC and GM almost certainly include some rebuilding. Year 3 is often looked at as the year a rebuilding team should see results. With that in mind I decided to look at our current roster to see which players would be 30 or younger three years from now (I didn't factor in the contract status of these players).

TE- Kevin Everett

C- Melvin Flower

DE- Chris Kelsey

SS- Donte Whitner

It's rare to look at anybody's roster and say they'll be set in three years but what I like with this roster is the potential for depth and continuity. In three years we could have a lot of guys who will have experience starting, that could either continue being starters or turn into excellent back ups if we upgrade the talent. Then we have several units who could return a plethora of talented starters for years to come.

Thoughts?

714586[/snapback]

Good info. Any way you look at it, we need to improve the talent on both lines and we need to develop a QB. If Losman, Peters, Preston, Fowler, Williams and McCargo become solid starters we are in good shape.

TE- Kevin Everett

C- Melvin Flower

DE- Chris Kelsey

SS- Donte Whitner

Thoughts?

714586[/snapback]

Being a future is now kind of guy, I actually found your subject title a bit troubling at first as it seemed to imply on the face of it that the major aim of the team is rebuilding for the future.

Yet, upon further examination of the details, I think this was a false impression on my part. Of the 32 players you name actually 22 of them are entering at least the thrid year of being a pro while the remainder consist of the usual number of draftees (maybe even a little less than the norm since our draft was relatively small in number last year.

Clearly a team needs to keep an eye on the future as one day soon it will be the present, but I think that the Golden Boys' first desire is to win NOW. This primary need stems not only from the age of our owner and our GM, but the team missing the playoffs 5 years in a row.

This goal will be a tough one to reach this year, but if the team is competitive (I think it will be though it will lose a lot) and the funny shaped ball bounces the right way for them, I have no doubt they will sacrifice the future for a chance at immediate benefits.

I think here in real life this is the way it should be for a team.

Nice post, Mike. Marv and Dick have seemingly set the table very nicely to start things off. The one major shortage this group will have in three years though is big-game experience. Veteran leadership will need to be infused each season to ensure there are guys in Buffalo blue who will be able to remember which way is up when things get intense.

714605[/snapback]

we will need to complete the picture. Say McCargo works out, or

I see that being Marv's plan. We could have done more this off-season. We had the money, and lord knows we could use the talent. I think what Marv did was differ the major talent upgrade until we have more knowledge of who we will need. Players like McCargo,Whitner, Parrish, Simpson, Losman etc are legit prospects, and if they develop it would drastically change what this team needs. We have so many question marks and even more when you consider everybody will be in a new system. Instead of bringing in the major veteran help in the midst of such uncertainty we decided to wait, and build our future depth. Once we get a better read on what we need then we will add the last few peaces of the puzzle.

TE- Kevin Everett

C- Melvin Flower

DE- Chris Kelsey

SS- Donte Whitner

Thoughts?

714586[/snapback]

No doubt this is clearly a rebuilding year, and I think you're right, 2008 is probably the 1st year this team will be ready to make a serious run for the playoffs. On paper, I'd say this team has a lot more young talent than TD's 1st year of rebuilding in 2001.... here's to better results in Marv's 3rd year than TD's most disasterous 2003.

Tell me why a person would ever be a fan of any sports team if that person didn't believe in the word "hope?"

714624[/snapback]

As a Browns fan, I know all about "hope".

And "Wait til next year", too. :lol::)

Mike