vincent interview

hootie1

"The men have to respect the leader to perform for him," said Vincent. "If you don't respect the leader you can't get it done. You could say it doesn't matter, but it does. I know."

Wonder who he is talking about here? Betcha it ain't Andy Reid...

From BB.com:

>>>>>By the accounts from several of the players Jauron is a straight shooter who has preached that everyone will get a fair shake to make the team come training camp. An example would be the three-way quarterback competition. He said reps would be split among the three signal callers equally and throughout the spring workouts that was the case.<<<<<

The above quote says a ton. I for one think that I might have underestimated just how angry the players were at JP being handed the job for no reason.

Thinking that Jauron won't do anything that stupid makes even a skeptic like me think a little more positive about this season.

It really is simple: If JP continues to suck (and he DID suck), he should be benched and then tossed, just like any other player who sucks.

Maybe not, but JP has to improve before being equal to a pimple on Bledsoe's ass.

The players seemed to feel this way, but that is because they forgot to consult you.  :w00t:  B-)

711882[/snapback]

It is a damn shame that TD did not consult with me,

he might still have his job. :P

It really is simple: If JP continues to suck (and he DID suck), he should be benched and then tossed, just like any other player who sucks.

711879[/snapback]

I really wish that somebody would use the term "suck" in its proper context when referring to JP. His performance last season should not be compared to that of a seasoned veteran; it should be compared to that of a 1st-year starter. Did he "suck" in that context? If anyone says yes, I sincerely question that person's football knowledge.

The former coaching staff and administration screwed the pooch when it came to (a) handing JP the job without a competition, and then (b) yanking it away from him at the first sign of difficulty.

Bill, you're obviously a smart guy, but in my opinion you've become entrenched in some positions that defy logic.

I really wish that somebody would use the term "suck" in its proper context when referring to JP.  His performance last season should not be compared to that of a seasoned veteran; it should be compared to that of a 1st-year starter.  Did he "suck" in that context?  If anyone says yes, I sincerely question that person's football knowledge.

The former coaching staff and administration screwed the pooch when it came to (a) handing JP the job without a competition, and then (b) yanking it away from him at the first sign of difficulty.

Bill, you're obviously a smart guy, but in my opinion you've become entrenched in some positions that defy logic.

711888[/snapback]

You are making total sense. What bothers me the most was that the switch SEEMED to be made just because of the Pittsburgh game.

Honestly, I wish that I knew who saw fit to blame Bledsoe and cut him. We will never know if it was Mullarkey or TD, but I strongly suspect that it was TD and his stupid effing ego. This is why I have never strongly criticized MM on this forum.

JP had zero business being handed the job. The players knew it, and it caused all kinds of havoc. With that OL, Bledsoe would have probably been injured, and JP would have seen some playing time anyway.

I know that you are correct about JP being a rookie, but the entire episode was stupid imo and it pisses me of.

From BB.com:

>>>>>By the accounts from several of the players Jauron is a straight shooter who has preached that everyone will get a fair shake to make the team come training camp. An example would be the three-way quarterback competition. He said reps would be split among the three signal callers equally and throughout the spring workouts that was the case.<<<<<

The above quote says a ton. I for one think that I might have underestimated just how angry the players were at JP being handed the job for no reason.

Thinking that Jauron won't do anything that stupid makes even a skeptic like me think a little more positive about this season.

711879[/snapback]

I'd say you're seeing in that comment what you want to see in it. I think though that you are partially right.

I think the players didn't like that Mularkey would say stuff, then do the opposite. It led to a team in disarray. At least if you have faith in your coach, even if you aren't succeeding, you know what you're trying to do and are confident that they've got at least got an idea what the football team is supposed to be doing. Mularkey failed dismally with that in the treatment of the quarterback position, the offensive philosophy in general, use of Willis, and perhaps not getting involved enough in the defense (not schematically mind you, but intervening a bit as the head coach since it was in such obvious deterioration as the year progressed.)

Whether this leads to many wins under Jauron this year is not too likely, but it is about building a team and chemistry. Mularkey seemed intent on destroying the confidence of his players and their confidence in each other.

I'll give Mularkey the BOTD and say that since it was his first head coaching gig, and being a nice guy, he was pulled in several different directions and didn't show the leadership of a good head coach. With TD, maybe even Ralph, that's not surprising. Hence players felt they were being jerked-around by Mularkey when it might have been from higher-up.

As for the story with JP, I suspect their animosity towards him was because after Bledsoe was released and JP was made the starter, many of the older vets who were winding down their careers felt that the Bills were rebuilding and didn't want to have to go through that. JP became the scapegoat and his poor play didn't help matters any.

I'll give Mularkey the BOTD and say that since it was his first head coaching gig, and being a nice guy, he was pulled in several different directions and didn't show the leadership of a good head coach.  With TD, maybe even Ralph, that's not surprising.  Hence players felt they were being jerked-around by Mularkey when it might have been from higher-up.

Very true.

From Brown's blog- apparently he also sees the veiled crticism of Mularky in Vincent's remarks...

"Troy Vincent was very animated in the interview I had with him for this story. In describing how effective Jauron has been in getting the team to buy into to his approach and work hard for him Vincent also hinted about how much different things were last year."

From Brown's blog- apparently he also sees the veiled crticism of Mularky in Vincent's remarks...

"Troy Vincent was very animated in the interview I had with him for this story. In describing how effective Jauron has been in getting the team to buy into to his approach and work hard for him Vincent also hinted about how much different things were last year."

711922[/snapback]

but but but, I thought he was talking about JP.

Except Drew never got benched. :w00t:

711881[/snapback]

Yeah he did, for the 2005 season when he was told he'd be 2nd string. He said "Screw that," and they cut him.

Feel better now? B-)

CW

Yeah he did, for the 2005 season when he was told he'd be 2nd string.  He said "Screw that," and they cut him.

Feel better now? :w00t:

CW

711939[/snapback]

I would've felt better if he was benched in 2003 & then cut.

Would've been nice to make the play-offs in 2004. B-)

You are making total sense.

There's a first time for everything. :w00t:

I know that you are correct about JP being a rookie, but the entire episode was stupid imo and it pisses me of.

711896[/snapback]

We agree.