Peter King giving Old Whitey a rimjahb

I admit that I was one who was fooled by the flash of TD.  He talked a good game and was always making a slash - whether through free agency or the draft.  No matter what everyone people thought of TD, he definitely didn't fail because of lack of effort.  He tried to make the right moves, but in short, he just made bad choices.  Rather than hire coaches who were part of championship teams (Weis, Lewis, or Crennel) or proven head coaches (Fassel), he went for the hot interview guy.  Obviously, these were mistakes.

OK, so how is this different from what Marv has done?

Can you name a single GM that doesn't "talk a good game?" What are they supposed to say, "Sorry fans, but our team just sucks. It's gonna be a while before I can straighten this ridiculous mess out."

Was Fairchild, Fewell, Jauron part of a championship team? Do they even have much experience relatively speaking?

If you like Levy, you've got both feet in it again.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since the beginning of the 2001 season, Travis Henry has rushed for 4184 yards.  In that same timespan, Antowain Smith rushed for 3952 yards.  TD used a 2nd round pick in a failed attempt to upgrade the RB position, when he should have been addressing the offensive line.

Then there's Antowain Winfield, who's gone on to have a very good post-Buffalo career.  You see first round picks being used on the secondary all the time; and too often you see those guys leaving after four or five years.  TD chose to let Winfield leave after five years.  Back in 2001, TD had protected himself from the future loss of Winfield by taking Clements in the first.  Later TD chose to let Clements' contract expire . . . but I'm getting off the subject.

711687[/snapback]

with regard to antowain smith, you're neglecting to add in his 456 yards in playoff rushing for the pats. he did it in 6 games, which averages out to 76 yds/game (1216/season) against the best teams in the league. no fumbles either.

with regard to antowain smith, you're neglecting to add in his 456 yards in playoff rushing for the pats. he did it in 6 games, which averages out to 76 yds/game (1216/season) against the best teams in the league. no fumbles either.

Good point . . . when you take into account fumbles, blitz pickup, and those playoff yards you mentioned, Antowain Smith has probably done his teams at least as much good since 2001 as Travis Henry did.

711833[/snapback]

IMO, post super-bowl years, Anotwain Smith was one of the most poorly utilized offensive the weapons the Bill had. He never got enough carries, because either Wade, or Pendry, were hell bent on making Linton and Bryson (two very mediocre RBs) equal parts of the offense. Neither had the potential to break a big run, like Smith did. He had a rep for being a little lazy, off the field, but he was definitely one of those backs who got better the more he carried the ball...

IMO, post super-bowl years, Anotwain Smith was one of the most poorly utilized offensive the weapons the Bill had.  He never got enough carries, because either Wade, or Pendry, were hell bent on making Linton and Bryson (two very mediocre RBs) equal parts of the offense.  Neither had the potential to break a big run, like Smith did.  He had a rep for being a little lazy, off the field, but he was definitely one of those backs who got better the more he carried the ball...

711913[/snapback]

i agree completely.

IMO, post super-bowl years, Anotwain Smith was one of the most poorly utilized offensive the weapons the Bill had.  He never got enough carries, because either Wade, or Pendry, were hell bent on making Linton and Bryson (two very mediocre RBs) equal parts of the offense.  Neither had the potential to break a big run, like Smith did.  He had a rep for being a little lazy, off the field, but he was definitely one of those backs who got better the more he carried the ball...

711913[/snapback]

Plus, Smith was perfect for a one-back set: virtually no lateral mobility, but a wrecking ball running straight ahead.

So what do they do? Put him in a two back set and ask him to cut around a lead blocker. :P How many times did we watch him run straight into Sam Gash's back and stop dead for a two yard gain? I still shudder to think what he could have done in a one-back set when simply coached "Antowain, don't worry about the LB in the gap. Just run through him. Sure, he'll tackle you for three quarters...but you'll get your yards in the fourth."

Plus, Smith was perfect for a one-back set: virtually no lateral mobility, but a wrecking ball running straight ahead. 

So what do they do?  Put him in a two back set and ask him to cut around a lead blocker.  :P  How many times did we watch him run straight into Sam Gash's back and stop dead for a two yard gain?  I still shudder to think what he could have done in a one-back set when simply coached "Antowain, don't worry about the LB in the gap.  Just run through him.  Sure, he'll tackle you for three quarters...but you'll get your yards in the fourth."

712025[/snapback]

One of the best runs I have seen in person was a run Antowain made against the Raiders a few years back, I think Flutie was the starter at the time. Smith ran around left end, turned the corner, and met the safety head on at the line of scrimmage. There was a huge POP as Smith laid his shoulder into the safety, who dropped to the ground like a sack of wet cement. There was nobody behind him and Smith ended up with a 70 yard TD or something like that. Impressive.

The other great run I saw in person was Thurman's rookie season against...the Raiders again. 37 yard TD straight up the middle, not a defender in sight anywhere. It was the largest hole opened up by an offensive line in the history of the game.