When Buffalo people relocate, where are the headed

While reading one of the latest posts about young people leaving the city, I wondered where they are going???? My wife, son and I are leaving Florida this month and are heading to Charlotte, NC. With the housing market in the dumper and the risk of hurricanes, I get the feeling people are not flocking to the sunshine state as much as in the past.

It is so funny that so many of us relocated to get far away from Buffalo, but in the back of our minds, we plot and plan and try to find a place just close enough so we can still be part of it. Go Buffalo!

While reading one of the latest posts about young people leaving the city, I wondered where they are going???? My wife, son and I are leaving Florida this month and are heading to Charlotte, NC. With the housing market in the dumper and the risk of hurricanes, I get the feeling people are not flocking to the sunshine state as much as in the past.

It is so funny that so many of us relocated to get far away from Buffalo, but in the back of our minds, we plot and plan and try to find a  place just close enough so we can still be part of it. Go Buffalo!

709466[/snapback]

Yes, I miss Buffalo. Not the city itself, but everything that makes Buffalo what it is. The sports, the people, and the food are the biggest things I call home. I have moved to NC to get a better job and life for my family. The city politics and government made it difficult for me to get that in Buffalo. I love living in NC and I dont think I would live any place else, but I love Buffalo.

Anywhere outside of NY that provides even a semblance of a better life because this place will eat you alive with poor government leadership, poor government structure and a complete lack of willingness by our elected leaders to change things. And let's not forget the disgusting public unions who are leading this area into a a black hole by their refusal to give up their perks, negotiate copntracts fairly of give even the most minor concessions.

What I want people who read this and live in Buffalo and WNY to realize is that A) politicians always kneel to their unions bosses who get them elected and the businesses that line their pockets and that B) things aren't changing here because of an inability to overcome state laws that make unions unbreakable because the reality is that personnel expenses are one of, if not the largest governmental expense and the one they have the least control over.

Deal with reality. Either start voting for progrssive leaders willing to even tackle the tough issues and stand against the opposition or be like the smart young people and vote with your feet.

If you look at what you like about Buffalo and WNY, you can find it somewhere else with cheaper taxes, a better government, more opportunities, and maybe even better weather.

This place is done for. It's not me being cynical, it's me as well-heeled, masters educated local professional who deals with the government here and sees the beast from the inside. And I actually read the paper and vote against people who need to be out of office but somehow manage to stay in. So much for the so-called voter revolution.

It is so funny that so many of us relocated to get far away from Buffalo, but in the back of our minds, we plot and plan and try to find a  place just close enough so we can still be part of it. Go Buffalo!

709466[/snapback]

The simple answer to your question is there are absolutely tons of ex-Buffalonians located in Metro areas around Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh-Cary NC and the Washington DC suburbs of Northern Virginia and Maryland..

Anywhere outside of NY that provides even a semblance of a better life because this place will eat you alive with poor government leadership, poor government structure and a complete lack of willingness by our elected leaders to change things. And let's not forget the disgusting public unions who are leading this area into a a black hole by their refusal to give up their perks, negotiate copntracts fairly of give even the most minor concessions.

What I want people who read this and live in Buffalo and WNY to realize is that A) politicians always kneel to their unions bosses who get them elected and the businesses that line their pockets and that B) things aren't changing here because of an inability to overcome state laws that make unions unbreakable because the reality is that personnel expenses are one of, if not the largest governmental expense and the one they have the least control over.

Deal with reality. Either start voting for progrssive leaders willing to even tackle the tough issues and stand against the opposition or be like the smart young people and vote with your feet.

If you look at what you like about Buffalo and WNY, you can find it somewhere else with cheaper taxes, a better government, more opportunities, and maybe even better weather.

This place is done for. It's not me being cynical, it's me as well-heeled, masters educated local professional who deals with the government here and sees the beast from the inside. And I actually read the paper and vote against people who need to be out of office but somehow manage to stay in. So much for the so-called voter revolution.

Wow, Zonabb. You are right on the money... you "get it". Unfortunately most of us don't. I am also plotting my exodus from this state... and I'm a life long resident. Frustration and futility is the best way I can describe it... pissing into the wind. In fact, for the first time since I was of age to vote, I am not voting in the November election. It's not apathy... it's pure disgust. It does not matter who is elected in this state... none of them do a Goddamn thing that that will make an appreciable difference for the better. Stick a fork in New york... it is done, finished, overwith.

Wow, Zonabb.  You are right on the money... you "get it".  Unfortunately most of us don't.  I am also plotting my exodus from this state... and I'm a life long resident.  Frustration and futility is the best way I can describe it... pissing into the wind.  In fact, for the first time since I was of age to vote, I am not voting in the November election.  It's not apathy... it's pure disgust.  It does not matter who is elected in this state... none of them do a Goddamn thing that that will make an appreciable difference for the better.  Stick a fork in New york... it is done, finished, overwith.

709510[/snapback]

I agree stick a fork in it. To many people have left and figured out hey I can get what I got in NY and some more for paying less and better quality of life.

709500[/snapback]

zonabb - I agree 100% with everything you have to say about WNY government, but I am not quite sure I am with you when you say "you can find everything you like about WNY and Buffalo" somewhere else. I do not believe you can find housing as cheap, nor do I believe you can find such good people. I am sure this is more than debateable, but those are the two things that have alluded me most. I now live in NJ and there is MUCH more opportunity, but the people are not the same, and honestly government has just as many problems here. New Jersey may not be the best example, but I understand the housing market has become just as bad now in the Carolinas, has it not?

I moved from Buffalo to Daytona Beach and then 8 years later to Fort Wayne, IN. I miss Bflo and the WNY area immensely, but would likely never return. I miss the food, the sports (especially the Bills), the local music scene, the lakes and rivers, and most importantly the friendly people. None of those things are available in either Florida or Indiana like they were in WNY.

However, I do not miss the corrupt government, the horendous taxes and the cost of living that goes with it. Cheap housing? What planet are you living on??? I live in a home in Fort Wayne that would be over half-a-million in Clarence or Orchard Park. I paid $200k. Taxes are pennies on the WNY dollar. I'm 3 hours from Chicago, Detroit, Cinci and 2 hours from Indy, if I miss the big city life.

I'm an easy 6 hour drive from the Ralph when I come back, so why would I want to move back? You can, however, send me a Mikes Sub, Super Mighty Taco or bucket of wings every now and then to keep me honest!

I live about spitting distance from Dolfag stadium and I have been in south florida for 18 of my 25 years and I love going back in the summer time to hang out with the family and gain 10 lbs. There really is nothing like a buffalo summer but the winters blow hard. Its still home to me though.

709466[/snapback]

Where in Charlotte?

According to the latest IRS data (based on tax returns, so it likely misses about 20% of total households--especially young adults/teens and low-income folks), a total of 11,037 people left Erie County for another state in 2003.

The top destinations were:

FL____1,929

NC_____622

CA_____529

PA_____461

VA_____375

GA_____313

MD_____297

NV_____209

Other_6,302

There's no way to break this data down by age group, so its likely that a fair number of retiree's are included in the above figures. Still, young adults probably make up a sizeable chunk of the 11,000+ total--representing lost potential seasons' ticket holders at RWS.

Interestingly, 8322 people moved into Erie County from another state in 2003. What the hell were these people thinking.... :doh:

Where in Charlotte?

709595[/snapback]

I live in Charlotte and appears you do too. Can you beleive how much money appear sto be in this to6wn? (Or severely leveraged people). I know Charlotte is considered a small city still as far as nationally speaking but wow.

The simple answer to your question is there are absolutely tons of ex-Buffalonians located in Metro areas around Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh-Cary NC and the Washington DC suburbs of Northern Virginia and Maryland..

709509[/snapback]

I'm an ex Rochesterian and I'm in Northern VA area. But you are right there are lots of young people from upstate NY down here.

Taxes, Governments, Unions, Corruption....this gets so old.

What about Upstate NYers ourselves? I don't see any semblance of a creative class in most upstate cities. I don't see people in or from WNYer trying to start businesses or fill needs within the marketplace. Government can't do that and this void surely isn't all due to aforementioned. Afterall, downstate, California, etc. all seem to have made it into the 21st century.

Where in Charlotte?

709595[/snapback]

We just purchased a home in Indian Trail in a subdivision called Colten Ridge. Where do you and other Buffalo people watch the games? I have Directv, but wish to watch them with others. If you get a chance, could you email me at Hugebillsfan1@yahoo.com. I have a bunch of questions for you. Doug

I live in Charlotte and appears you do too. Can you beleive how much money appear sto be in this to6wn? (Or severely leveraged people). I know Charlotte is considered a small city still as far as nationally speaking but wow.

709632[/snapback]

Hey how are you. Where are you in Charlotte? is there a bar Buffalo people get together and watch the games? I do like that place Jocks and Jills, but i doubt we could get the Bills on a bog tv with sound.. Doug

Taxes, Governments, Unions, Corruption....this gets so old.

What about Upstate NYers ourselves?  I don't see any semblance of a creative class in most upstate cities.  I don't see people in or from WNYer trying to start businesses or fill needs within the marketplace.  Government can't do that and this void surely isn't all due to aforementioned.  Afterall, downstate, California, etc. all seem to have made it into the 21st century.

709668[/snapback]

Can't agree more. Despite excellent education - both HS and college - why is it that nearly every new business people start seems to be a restuarant rather than one that sells outside the region? Why arn't the computer science graduates living cheaply in Buffalo while starting up their internet companies? Why is isn't there a biomed silicon valley in Rocherster and Buffalo?