*World Cup Game Thread*

ajzepp

I gave deRossi the benefit of the doubt because of what you said about him being a stand up guy for the most part, but that Camoranesi guy is a whiney punk. He annoyed the hell out of me last match. On top of that, he looks like a horse.

720223[/snapback]

He was born in Argentina but has Italien grandparents. Personally I don't like him very much but he is one of the only guys that could actually run up and down the flanks. Honestly, I think it is an embarrasment that a nation so rich in football players has to go get one from Argentina.

De Rossi will play tomorrow. He has served his suspension and is fresh since he hasn't played since the USA game. Most likely he will come off the bench.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was born in Argentina but has Italien grandparents.  Personally I don't like him very much but he is one of the only guys that could actually run up and down the flanks.  Honestly, I think it is an embarrasment that a nation so rich in football players has to go get one from Argentina. 

De Rossi will play tomorrow.  He has served his suspension and is fresh since he hasn't played since the USA game.  Most likely he will come off the bench.

720224[/snapback]

He seems to not be very fond of physical play, cause he was complaining about it the WHOLE match. There were a couple times when one of the German players offered a hand to help him up after the ball went out of bounds or something, and he would just give them a dumb look and turn his back to them, lol.....it just seemed very childish. At least when Totti goes down he doesn't start pulling crap like that....he takes it like a man. The game was intense....both teams understood that....I just think cameronesi didn't get the memo.

He seems to not be very fond of physical play, cause he was complaining about it the WHOLE match. There were a couple times when one of the German players offered a hand to help him up after the ball went out of bounds or something, and he would just give them a dumb look and turn his back to them, lol.....it just seemed very childish. At least when Totti goes down he doesn't start pulling crap like that....he takes it like a man. The game was intense....both teams understood that....I just think cameronesi didn't get the memo.

720225[/snapback]

That was because of what the German players did. One of the Germans was on the floor and needed some medical attention. Italian players kicked it out. When the ref placed it so the Germans can kick it back, the German player took off and tried to score. From that point the game took a sour note and they stopped respecting each other.

Yeah, I'm with ya for the most part. I do like the idea of tradition, but I highly doubt that there was this kind of diving back in the day. I think the players should have more respect for themselves, the game, and their opponent than to pull that kind of crap. If technology can help reduce that - and I'm quite certain it can - I don't see why they can't implement it. Hell, use the MLS to test it out and work out the bugs. There's no need for it to be some huge distraction, either.....just use it inside the box so you're not "giving" away the game.

720220[/snapback]

You could talk about the purity of all sports. They've all changed. Its time for soccer to change. I agree, partially, that the MLS is a good place to start. The problem with that is, its in the USA. What we do here with soccer is a laugh to Europeans. It needs to start there.

You could talk about the purity of all sports. They've all changed. Its time for soccer to change. I agree, partially, that the MLS is a good place to start. The problem with that is, its in the USA. What we do here with soccer is a laugh to Europeans. It needs to start there.

720231[/snapback]

I hear ya...I just think it's more likely you'll see technology implemented in something like the MLS before you'll see it catch on abroad. I may be wrong, but I don't think there is even any discussion about the use of replay in soccer in the Euro national leagues. There are bound to be bugs that need to be worked out, so I just assume the MLS be the guinea pigs. I dunno, I just hate seeing well played matches end up with someone diving, getting a penalty kick, and winning the game because of it. That's gotta stop.

I hear ya...I just think it's more likely you'll see technology implemented in something like the MLS before you'll see it catch on abroad. I may be wrong, but I don't think there is even any discussion about the use of replay in soccer in the Euro national leagues. There are bound to be bugs that need to be worked out, so I just assume the MLS be the guinea pigs. I dunno, I just hate seeing well played matches end up with someone diving, getting a penalty kick, and winning the game because of it. That's gotta stop.

720233[/snapback]

I.e. how the US Open uses the Hawkeye replay thing to check close line calls. Stodgy Wimbeldon is rumored to be considering using it next year.

720233[/snapback]

!@#$, even TERRORISTS, use 21 century technology with their games. :devil:

Seriously, I'm glad you see my point. Not taking anything away from the game, but, it needs work. Tomorrow will tell the tale.

I suppose......... :P

Time for a new beer........ :lol::D

!@#$, even TERRORISTS, use 21 century technology with their games. :devil:

Seriously, I'm glad you see my point. Not taking anything away from the game, but, it needs work. Tomorrow will tell the tale.

I suppose......... :P

Time for a new beer........ :lol:  :D

720235[/snapback]

LOL.....

yeah, that part of the game does bother me......they showed a clip of Figo (Portugal) on the ESPN segment that was just ridiculous....and I've been supporting that guy this whole tourney. I just can't believe they do that crap.....It really bothered me when Claudio Reyna went down just to save face after he coughed up the ball to Ghana outside our box.....they need to cut the crap. Now that's probably his last memory of playing international soccer....giving up an easy goal to the other team, and instead of charging back and trying to tackle him after the fact, he goes down like a baby and fakes an injury.....ridiculous.

I.e. how the US Open uses the Hawkeye replay thing to check close line calls. Stodgy Wimbeldon is rumored to be considering using it next year.

720234[/snapback]

I hadn't even heard about that.....how does it work?

WOW, post count for this thread. Not bad for a kickball thread.

Poster Posts

ajzepp 287

meazza 275

erynthered 60

Crap Throwing Monkey 39

Pete 37

Britbillsfan 31

kegtapr 31

Hardy Pyle 30

Alaska Darin 21

LanaK6 21

TheMadCap 18

LewPort71 17

Chef Jim 16

chicot 14

LSI Cadets 14

Ramius 13

taterhill 13

Peter 12

Jauron733 10

gringo starr 9

Nick in England 8

X. Benedict 8

UConn James 7

ACor58 7

N.Y. Orangeman 6

BuffOrange 6

KD in CT 6

smokinandjokin 5

PromoTheRobot 5

linksfiend 5

Brian Cohen 4

Kelso's Helmet 4

SDS 3

olivier in france 3

Luisma 3

RuntheDamnBall 3

millbank 2

Tolstoy 2

billsfan80 2

C.Biscuit97 2

eball 2

Bill from NYC 2

Puhonix 2

Faustus 2

JoeSixPack 1

The Dean 1

billsoverdue 1

plenzmd1 1

RayFinkle 1

Zona 1

stuckincincy 1

The Avenger 1

cromagnum 1

Dan Gross 1

Adam 1

BillnutinHouston 1

Peter Pan 1

Clements22 1

LabattBlue 1

crackur 1

agilen 1

gmac17 1

mead107 1

MadBuffaloDisease 1

WOW, post count for this thread. Not bad for a kickball thread.

Poster Posts

ajzepp 287

meazza 275

erynthered 60

Crap Throwing Monkey 39

Pete 37

Britbillsfan 31

kegtapr 31

Hardy Pyle 30

Alaska Darin 21

LanaK6 21

TheMadCap 18

LewPort71 17

Chef Jim 16

chicot 14

LSI Cadets 14

Ramius 13

taterhill 13

Peter 12

Jauron733 10

gringo starr 9

Nick in England 8

X. Benedict 8

UConn James 7

ACor58 7

N.Y. Orangeman 6

BuffOrange 6

KD in CT 6

smokinandjokin 5

PromoTheRobot 5

linksfiend 5

Brian Cohen 4

Kelso's Helmet 4

SDS 3

olivier in france 3

Luisma 3

RuntheDamnBall 3

millbank 2

Tolstoy 2

billsfan80 2

C.Biscuit97 2

eball 2

Bill from NYC 2

Puhonix 2

Faustus 2

JoeSixPack 1

The Dean 1

billsoverdue 1

plenzmd1 1

RayFinkle 1

Zona 1

stuckincincy 1

The Avenger 1

cromagnum 1

Dan Gross 1

Adam 1

BillnutinHouston 1

Peter Pan 1

Clements22 1

LabattBlue 1

crackur 1

agilen 1

gmac17 1

mead107 1

MadBuffaloDisease 1

720238[/snapback]

Holy crap, we're over 1000 posts??? I didn't even realize it.....and there were actually quite a few other kickball threads toward the beginning of the WC, too. It's been a really good thread, I think......nice to have lots of different people contributing. Been a good WC, and been some good WC conversation :devil:

720233[/snapback]

How many games have you seen decided by a penalty kick.

I've seen 2. Both of them had dispustable penalty kicks.

Australia vs Italy - From what I have seen, it is a 50/50 call. Not exactly the best call to make in the last minute of the game but it was a disputable call. Looking at the replay about 100 times so far, I'd say it was. There are many that say it wasn't but like I said, it was far too close. FIFA agreed that it was and that ref was allowed to referee another WC game.

France - Portugal - Another disputable call. The defender of Portugal admitted that there was contact with Henry.

Again, like I said before. A good ref will make the right call.

I've seen 2.  Both of them had dispustable penalty kicks.

Australia vs Italy -  From what I have seen, it is a 50/50 call.  Not exactly the best call to make in the last minute of the game but it was a disputable call.  Looking at the replay about 100 times so far, I'd say it was.  There are many that say it wasn't but like I said, it was far too close.  FIFA agreed that it was and that ref was allowed to referee another WC game.

France - Portugal -  Another disputable call.  The defender of Portugal admitted that there was contact with Henry. 

Again, like I said before.  A good ref will make the right call.

720243[/snapback]

Yeah, but you've even said yourself the WC is a different animal with regard to how the games are called. I think it would be more crucial in some of the league matches. But the point is that they need to do something that cuts down the diving.....there obviously aren't enough "good" refs to go around.

Australia vs Italy -  From what I have seen, it is a 50/50 call.  Not exactly the best call to make in the last minute of the game but it was a disputable call.  Looking at the replay about 100 times so far, I'd say it was.  There are many that say it wasn't but like I said, it was far too close.  FIFA agreed that it was and that ref was allowed to referee another WC game.

France - Portugal -  Another disputable call.  The defender of Portugal admitted that there was contact with Henry. 

720243[/snapback]

Not a penalty kick, but the No-goal in the France - Korea match had the potential to upset a team that is now playing in the final. Ended in a 1-1 tie rather than a 2-1 victory.

The Korean keeper was inside the goal by a step and the ball bounced off his hand that was at his side. On replay, the ball had crossed the line, yet it happened so fast on the field that everybody was standing around with a :devil: expression and then play resumed.

720243[/snapback]

So 50/50 calls are OK?

Your argument is weak. You're defending shiity play call. And you've done that throughout most of this thread. Please don't make me call you an idiot.

Yeah, but you've even said yourself the WC is a different animal with regard to how the games are called. I think it would be more crucial in some of the league matches. But the point is that they need to do something that cuts down the diving.....there obviously aren't enough "good" refs to go around.

720246[/snapback]

Simple, just kick out half of the Portuguese players :devil:

It's unfair to judge in some cases. A lot of these players just got off completing a full year where they were playing 3 times a week in their respective leagues. A lot of them actually are in pain, for example Totti's ankle is being held together by a few metal parts. A little shot with the cleats and it will hurt. I agree that there are fakers as well which is obvious.