*World Cup Game Thread*

ajzepp

I'm not a soccer fan, but I've watched bits and pieces so far and will try to catch the semifinals and finals. That being said, I've got a beef with the use of the term "NIL".

I don't care if soccer enthusiasts around the world want to use this term, but every sports broadcaster(radio & TV) feel that they MUST now use this terminology. Hey bozo's...it's okay to say France beat Brazil ONE TO NOTHING. The soccer nazis won't crucify you for saying it the way you would refer to any other 1-0 score. :rolleyes:

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a 4-5-1 (or more accurately 4-4-1 in Crouch's case yesterday) the idea is that the midifled supports the lone striker who holds up the ball for them to run onto and attack. Crouch did this very well with Lennon charging up in support. (ie: it was SUPPOSED to work like that).

Rooney did not do this, largely because for the most part when he was on the field the midfielders did not run up and support him well at all. As a result the defenders had all the time in the world to isolate and frustrate Roooney (who then lashed out at one inexcusably).

If Lennon had been in Crouch's position and tried to do what you suggest he too would have been isolated without support (as no one else had the speed to support him) and would have been dealt with just as effectively as Rooney was.

717399[/snapback]

no doubt...that's what you typically do with one striker. But with ten men, the only way England was going to get a goal was on a quick counter attack. Not with Crouch holding the ball and letting build up develop. So, I agree that that's the way it's SUPPOSE to work, but when it was obvious it wasn't, they should have changed it up. And I'd rather have an isolated Lennon making his runs than what I saw happening.

Kaka!

Is there a worse name out there in soccerdom? :rolleyes:

717397[/snapback]

It is not his real name. The manager of Juventus made fun of him by saying we do not take players with such names. During that same season, Kaka burned Juventus with a hat trick.

It is not his real name.  The manager of Juventus made fun of him by saying we do not take players with such names.  During that same season, Kaka burned Juventus with a hat trick.

717447[/snapback]

So, you're saying that the guy is willingly referred to by the universal word for poop?

So, you're saying that the guy is willingly referred to by the universal word for poop?

717470[/snapback]

:rolleyes:

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/jul2l.html

Nesta out of semi-final Sunday 2 July, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today’s tests confirmed it is “highly unlikely” Alessandro Nesta will recover in time for the Germany showdown.

The defender limped off with a recurring upper thigh problem during the 2-0 victory over the Czech Republic and there were hopes he would return for Tuesday’s semi-final in Dortmund.

“The chances of seeing him play are remote,” conceded FIGC spokesman Antonello Valentini after today’s tests.

Although his condition has improved, the Milan man won’t be ready for the clash with World Cup hosts Germany.

With Marco Materazzi returning from a one-match ban, the Interista is the prime candidate to partner Fabio Cannavaro in central defence, although Andrea Barzagli impressed in the 3-0 quarter-final victory over the Ukraine.

Today’s training session in the Italy camp in Duisburg was opened up to 300 fans and the Press, as enthusiasm is growing around the Azzurri’s World Cup bid.

Marcello Lippi split the squad in two for a game between ranks, but Gianluca Zambrotta, Luca Toni, Nesta, Angelo Peruzzi and Mauro Camoranesi sat this out.

The side without coloured vests won 2-1 with goals for Pippo Inzaghi, an Andrea Barzagli own goal and Alessandro Del Piero’s penalty.

Team with vests: Buffon, Barzagli, Materazzi, Grosso, Barone, Pirlo, De Rossi, Gilardino, Del Piero

Team without vests: Amelia, Oddo, Cannavaro, Zaccardo, Gattuso, Perrotta, Totti, Inzaghi, Iaquinta

Please please...Italians beat Germany! I think you guys can do it too! Go Luca Toni....hopefully, he's the next Paolo Rossi for this game.

I really think the Portugese are the most deserving team based on their past tournament experience. they were runner ups in Euro and have demonstrated that they are a strong side without a loss since the final. I think their golden generation is due. France, they have their world cup. Italy - beat germany, but then they will go out in the final.

Please please...Italians beat Germany! I think you guys can do it too! Go Luca Toni....hopefully, he's the next Paolo Rossi for this game.

I really think the Portugese are the most deserving team based on their past tournament experience. they were runner ups in Euro and have demonstrated that they are a strong side without a loss since the final. I think their golden generation is due. France, they have their world cup. Italy - beat germany, but then they will go out in the final.

717500[/snapback]

You honestly think Portugal can beat Italy. That's a laugh.

But i don't know if Italy can beat the Germans.

Portugal has played for stretches where it looked like they could beat ANYONE. If they don't play lazy, I think they could beat any of the other remaining three sides. They'll have Deco back, figo is a master, and Ronaldo has been playing very aggressively. If they are properly motivated, they could take out france

Portugal has played for stretches where it looked like they could beat ANYONE. If they don't play lazy, I think they could beat any of the other remaining three sides. They'll have Deco back, figo is a master, and Ronaldo has been playing very aggressively. If they are properly motivated, they could take out france

717518[/snapback]

They can't and they won't.

Figo is a joke. He's a flashy player who has never really accomplished anything in his career. He was much better in his early youth.

Ronaldo is as well. Another selfish player.

Deco is great but his ugliness will cost him.

France was one of the teams I was worried about. Very experienced defence, and a midfield assembled from some of the best in Africa :rolleyes:. If Zidane could repeat the performance he had against Brazil (which he will), France should have no trouble winning.

They can't and they won't.

Figo is a joke.  He's a flashy player who has never really accomplished anything in his career.  He was much better in his early youth. 

Ronaldo is as well.  Another selfish player. 

Deco is great but his ugliness will cost him. 

France was one of the teams I was worried about.  Very experienced defence, and a midfield assembled from some of the best in Africa  :).  If Zidane could repeat the performance he had against Brazil (which he will), France should have no trouble winning.

717519[/snapback]

I guess we'll see :lol: I'm just glad that none of these teams that are left are known for diving.....oh, wait..... :pirate::rolleyes:

Translation (whenever predictions like this are made): They will.

:rolleyes:

717536[/snapback]

I don't see it happening. Personally I don't care who passes but I never had any respect for the Portuguese especially when they go lose to Greece :pirate:

You honestly think Portugal can beat Italy. That's a laugh. 

But i don't know if Italy can beat the Germans.

717502[/snapback]

Come on...the laugh is that your cocky when the Italian team could not beat a USA team that had players sent off. Had trouble with an Australian team, and now, think that you'd have an easy time against a real soccer team like Portugal?

As far as I'm concerned, the Italian team has played powder puff teams thus far and are lucky to be where they are. I only hope they can knock off the Germans, but I highly doubt it. The Italians don't even really deserve to be playing right now as every other team has gone through tough opposition where as the Italians have had an easy schedule.

It's football, and I don't know which team will win, but the Italians are the least deserving right now, how played the poorest football of the 4 remaining teams, and in my opinion are the weakest team of the 4 remaining teams.

Yes, I honestly think Portugal can beat Italy. Portugal was in the Euro final. Figo was also FIFA player of the year. I see far more quality on the Portugese team than on the Italian team - a perspective from a neutral. I'll be cheering for Italy in the next game - but I don't expect them to win. Vastly overrated now for many years.

Come on...the laugh is that your cocky when the Italian team could not beat a USA team that had players sent off. Had trouble with an Australian team, and now, think that you'd have an easy time against a real soccer team like Portugal?

As far as I'm concerned, the Italian team has played powder puff teams thus far and are lucky to be where they are. I only hope they can knock off the Germans, but I highly doubt it. The Italians don't even really deserve to be playing right now as every other team has gone through tough opposition where as the Italians have had an easy schedule.

It's football, and I don't know which team will win, but the Italians are the least deserving right now, how played the poorest football of the 4 remaining teams, and in my opinion are the weakest team of the 4 remaining teams.

Yes, I honestly think Portugal can beat Italy. Portugal was in the Euro final. Figo was also FIFA player of the year. I see far more quality on the Portugese team than on the Italian team - a perspective from a neutral. I'll be cheering for Italy in the next game - but I don't expect them to win. Vastly overrated now for many years.

717602[/snapback]

Lucky to be there...

I'm not being cocky. I do realize the weaknesses and strenghts of each team. IMHO France will destroy Portugal. I wasn't really comparing them to the Italian team since there is no need to.

Easy schedule?

Ghana - Defeated USA, defeated Czech Republic, Gave a hard time to "the favourites of the tournament"

USA - Ranked 5th in the world

Czech Republic - European powerhouse.

Easiest schedule my ass. Cheer for whoever you want but every team gets lucky bounces. I need not remind you of the hand of God, yet is anyone insisting that Argentina get a star removed from their shirt?

USA - Ranked 5th in the world

717603[/snapback]

Hell, even I don't believe for a second anymore that the US was REALLY the 5th best team in the world.....they sh-- the bed big time. I honestly think you were sleeping (literally, lol) when Portugal played at least a couple of their games this tourney.....I'm telling you, there have been stretches when they were BRILLIANT. Figo may be on his way out, but the guy has plenty left for another match or two. I don't recall who they played in their first match, but they were moving the ball around so well it was scary. They went up 1-0 and then got lazy, but held on for the win. If they don't play lazy, they WILL give France a test....with Deco back, I think they could play spoiler.

Hell, even I don't believe for a second anymore that the US was REALLY the 5th best team in the world.....they sh-- the bed big time. I honestly think you were sleeping (literally, lol) when Portugal played at least a couple of their games this tourney.....I'm telling you, there have been stretches when they were BRILLIANT. Figo may be on his way out, but the guy has plenty left for another match or two. I don't recall who they played in their first match, but they were moving the ball around so well it was scary. They went up 1-0 and then got lazy, but held on for the win. If they don't play lazy, they WILL give France a test....with Deco back, I think they could play spoiler.

717607[/snapback]

So then it's an easy schedule.

Hardy Pyle is an idiot. If he really believes that Australia would have won that game, he's on heavy crack.

Even if Italy were to beat Germany, people would still spew out utter bullschitt.

So then it's an easy schedule.

Hardy Pyle is an idiot.  If he really believes that Australia would have won that game, he's on heavy crack. 

Even if Italy were to beat Germany, people would still spew out utter bullschitt.

717610[/snapback]

I thought we were talking about Portugal? lol

I thought we were talking about Portugal? lol

717612[/snapback]

And I quote

It's football, and I don't know which team will win, but the Italians are the least deserving right now, how played the poorest football of the 4 remaining teams, and in my opinion are the weakest team of the 4 remaining teams

Holding off a team for 45 minutes with 1 man down for a shady red is nothing though.