*World Cup Game Thread*

ajzepp

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, my ex-wife and I (and my former in-laws) used to go to Biloxi all the time. It was something we all looked forward to at least twice a year, cause we always had a blast. I KNEW that I should have gone another 90 mi to New Orleans at least one of those times....I know I can still go now, but obviously it's not going to be the same. Biloxi is just so much fun that we never wanted to leave.

The Ukrainians may have called it something else, and I don't know the correct Polish spelling, but there is a food that sounds like "goo-ump-kies". It's basically a big cabbage leaf stuffed with ground beef, spices, onions, and other stuff, with some red sauce on tp and then baked. My favorite Polish dessert sounds like "poonch-kies". They were sort of like doughnuts that looked like rocks, fried, with powdered sugar on the outside and/or jam in the middle. Ever had any of that? It's GOOOOOOOOD :o  Much better than frog legs and snails :o

717980[/snapback]

Polish gulumkis are Ukrainian halupkis. Heres the recipe-

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/cda/recipe...X6-CARD,00.html

I am not sure which desert you are referring too. We had alot of blintzes and fruit stuffed pierogies.

BTW snails and frog legs are delicious! Ever have fois gras? The French know how to cook and they know how to make wines and booze. I will give them that

How do you see it playing out AJ?

718011[/snapback]

1-1 after 90, and then 2-1 Germany after 105 :o

totti gets red carded for ineffectiveness :o

1-1 after 90, and then 2-1 Germany after 105  :o

totti gets red carded for ineffectiveness  :o

718014[/snapback]

Without Frings, Germany is at a huge disadvantage since he was most likey the guy who would mark Totti.

On paper, Italy is much stronger.

Honestly, I think this will go into penalty kicks, and if it does, I'm turning off my tv and going to try and preserve the sanity I have left.

Polish gulumkis are Ukrainian halupkis.  Heres the recipe-

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/cda/recipe...X6-CARD,00.html

I am not sure which desert you are referring too.  We had alot of blintzes and fruit stuffed pierogies.

BTW snails and frog legs are delicious!  Ever have fois gras?  The French know how to cook and they know how to make wines and booze.  I will give them that

718009[/snapback]

Yep, those are them! I don't think my great grandmother made them with the sauerkraut or the dill (which sounds damn good to me!), but the rest sounds very similar......yummy :o

I've heard frog legs are tasty, and I'm not opposed to trying them.....it's just the first thing that comes to mind when I've got the growl goin' on :o

Never had the fois gras :o

And yep, I'm not a huge chardonnay fan, but I had a french variety about two years ago and it was quite yummy. It still doesn't compare to expensive champagne in my book, but it was the best white wine I've ever had

Without Frings, Germany is at a huge disadvantage since he was most likey the guy who would mark Totti. 

On paper, Italy is  much stronger.

Honestly, I think this will go into penalty kicks, and if it does, I'm turning off my tv and going to try and preserve the sanity I have left.

718016[/snapback]

:o

Yeah, Frings has been awesome this tourney.....that's a huge kick in the nuts for us. If Ballack is healthy, though, I like him to hook up Krazy Klose for at least one. That Lamm guy has been playing pretty well too, so hopefully he has a good game. And of course you have to mention Lehmann.....that guy was awesome in the shootout against Argentina.

I can't wait.....this could be the match of the tourney if both teams show up. I think you guys need to stay strong and play shut-out ball for the first 20 or so, cause you know the German crowd will have them fired up and ready to whoop some Italian ass.....if you guys can weather that, I think your chances improve. If you are able to counter and score....well....no, that won't happen......your best bet is to defend well in the beginning :o

Ok, I'll call it an offensive explosion, and say it's 1-0.

No, ok, seriously you guys.

I take Italy and my cheating ex-GF to beat the Brewmasters that serve Budweiser by a score of 3-2.

Ok, I'll call it an offensive explosion, and say it's 1-0.

No, ok, seriously you guys.

I take Italy and my cheating ex-GF to beat the Brewmasters that serve Budweiser by a score of 3-2.

718059[/snapback]

Oh no, that's not the gf that you showed us the pic of a while back, is it?? The one that we all thought was out of your league and who inspired us to point out what a lucky bastard you were?? Not THAT one, right????

3-2 means it was probably a pretty entertaining match, so I could live with that. I think the remaining four matches will all be good anyway, so as long as that holds true I'll be happy.

You are speaking about " Paczki" which is pronounced "pooch- kee" by most. These are made before Lent usually. Nice big double fruit filled sugar covered doughnuts, they are great. ... :o

You know, my ex-wife and I (and my former in-laws) used to go to Biloxi all the time. It was something we all looked forward to at least twice a year, cause we always had a blast. I KNEW that I should have gone another 90 mi to New Orleans at least one of those times....I know I can still go now, but obviously it's not going to be the same. Biloxi is just so much fun that we never wanted to leave.

The Ukrainians may have called it something else, and I don't know the correct Polish spelling, but there is a food that sounds like "goo-ump-kies". It's basically a big cabbage leaf stuffed with ground beef, spices, onions, and other stuff, with some red sauce on tp and then baked. My favorite Polish dessert sounds like "poonch-kies". They were sort of like doughnuts that looked like rocks, fried, with powdered sugar on the outside and/or jam in the middle. Ever had any of that? It's GOOOOOOOOD :o  Much better than frog legs and snails :o

717980[/snapback]

You are speaking about " Paczki"  which is pronounced "pooch- kee" by most.  These are made before Lent usually.  Nice big double fruit filled sugar covered doughnuts, they are great. ... :o

718068[/snapback]

Only problem is that I never got any that were filled with fruit. I always just assumed that they were just supposed to have the powdered sugar and that was it. Well I worked with this off-the-boat Polish chick a few months ago and we started talking about it....she told me about the fruit too, and I didn't know why hers had it and mine didn't. I talked to my grandmother and asked her why the chick's paczki's had the fruit, and she told me it's cause my family couldn't afford both the fruit and the sugar....they had to pick one or the other, so they went with the sugar, lol. So, to this day, I've yet to actually have one with the fruit :o

Oh no, that's not the gf that you showed us the pic of a while back, is it?? The one that we all thought was out of your league and who inspired us to point out what a lucky bastard you were?? Not THAT one, right???? 

718067[/snapback]

No, not that one. I still have that one. :o

Only problem is that I never got any that were filled with fruit. I always just assumed that they were just supposed to have the powdered sugar and that was it. Well I worked with this off-the-boat Polish chick a few months ago and we started talking about it....she told me about the fruit too, and I didn't know why hers had it and mine didn't. I talked to my grandmother and asked her why the chick's paczki's had the fruit, and she told me it's cause my family couldn't afford both the fruit and the sugar....they had to pick one or the other, so they went with the sugar, lol. So, to this day, I've yet to actually have one with the fruit  :o

718071[/snapback]

I you remember take a look in your local paper before Lent , many church groups have special Paczki sales. Paczki still made by old country people or at least from their recipes.

3-2 means it was probably a pretty entertaining match, so I could live with that. I think the remaining four matches will all be good anyway, so as long as that holds true I'll be happy.

718067[/snapback]

I don't think it will be an entertaining match. Both coaches will approach the game with an everything to lose scenario. Resulting in a tight game in which only 2 or 3 players will actually be attacking for most of the game. FIFA knows this and that is why they implemented the pk system. Because if you wanna play safe, then go to the randomness of the shootout and the fate will be sealed there.