*World Cup Game Thread*

ajzepp

Don't blame Rooney for this loss...

Blame the coach who stuck with the 4--5--1 formation...

Sven blew this and is probably packing his bags

for a trip back to Scandanavia

717287[/snapback]

You'd think this wasn't the coach who won with Lazio.

Thing is that coach had Nedved, Veron, Crespo, Nesta, Peruzzi, Couto and the rest at his disposal.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When Michael Owen hurt his knee...England was done...

so its  Germany vs. Italy

and  Portugal vs  France.

Good matches,,I can't wait to watch

717290[/snapback]

The German media has called the Italians "parasites".

Phuck em.

easy... roo didn't deserve that

-----

Ummmm you dont realise what it means for this nation do you??

A whole nation has been brought to its knees

717280[/snapback]

Rooney is the kind of person that, you just look at his face and you know he's a Richard. May be a good player but his impatience and temper cost the team lots; they deflated after it.

And then, it wouldn't be England if it didn't end badly. That is your guys' worldview, isn't it? :)

Yep....my "patriotic" team is no more, so I have to rely on my "team of heritage" to rid the tourney of the Italians..... :pirate:

Your raw chicken thing seems to have worked well, so I need t come up with a ritual of my own. Hmmmmm....... :rolleyes:

717281[/snapback]

My team of heritage left is..... France. The other half is Netherlands, who I was rooting for most before Thurs. Condolences lie that this is not a French team of the prissy-"ve 'ate Ameeerica" class. They are from the tough streets.

Rooney is the kind of person that, you just look at his face and you know he's a Richard. May be a good player but his impatience and temper cost the team lots; they deflated after it.

And then, it wouldn't be England if it didn't end badly. That is your guys' worldview, isn't it? :)

My team of heritage left is..... France. The other half is Netherlands, who I was rooting for most before Thurs. Condolences lie that this is not a French team of the prissy-"ve 'ate Ameeerica" class. They are from the tough streets.

717292[/snapback]

Yes a tough class assembled of Algerians, Senegalise and other former French colonies. :pirate::rolleyes:

France will decimate Portugal. Zidane is and always will be one of the greatest players to step on a pitch.

I hope Italy and France get their asses beat. The scum of the Cup. :rolleyes:

717295[/snapback]

Why are the French soccer players scum?

They are damn talented. They do not take dives like Portugal, the spanish speaking countries, and (I am sorry to say) Italy.

I will be supporting France and Italy in the semis (given that the US, the Netherlands, and England are out).

Allez Les Bleus!

Forza Italia!

Because it's full of Italians.

717299[/snapback]

I was in Northern Italy last year. Let me tell you, the people could not have been nicer. I would go back in a heart beat.

I was in Northern Italy last year.  Let me tell you, the people could not have been nicer.  I would go back in a heart beat.

717301[/snapback]

And then you visited the south and got sick of the smell of cows :rolleyes:

well Rooney deserved the red, definite stamp on the nuts of the Portugal player and it looked intentional to me. (Although I had to go away and sober up before looking at it again). Missed it first time. That is about as automatic red card as you can get. (Does not stop Ronaldo being a p***k, though).

Now who do I support?

Well France over Portugal. I think the Portugal team are the most unsportsmanlike in the tournament (well, next to the Argies....), have been fairly rubbish (and lucky). good riddance to bad rubbish.

Italy over Germany. Although both teams have improved in their sportsmanship the Germans have been worse offenders over the years.

So Italy - France final would be what I will be hoping for.

Hopefully England's new coach will not be such a numpty. I mean a 4-4-2 team and you take just one fit striker, and pick only three in total (comedy picks do not count). Sheesh. And don't get me started on the defend by having 11 in the box bollox at corners and free kicks.

Ho hum......Forty years of hurt......

well Rooney deserved the red, definite stamp on the nuts of the Portugal player and it looked intentional to me. (Although I had to go away and sober up before looking at it again). Missed it first time. That is about as automatic red card as you can get. (Does not stop Ronaldo being a p***k, though).

Now who do I support?

Well France over Portugal. I think the Portugal team are the most unsportsmanlike in the tournament (well, next to the Argies....), have been fairly rubbish (and lucky). good riddance to bad rubbish.

Italy over Germany. Although both teams have improved in their sportsmanship the Germans have been worse offenders over the years.

So Italy - France final would be what I will be hoping for.

Hopefully England's new coach will not be such a numpty. I mean a 4-4-2 team and you take just one fit striker, and pick only three in total (comedy picks do not count). Sheesh. And don't get me started on the defend by having 11 in the box bollox at corners and free kicks.

Ho hum......Forty years of hurt......

717305[/snapback]

Portugal has really pissed me off as well. I could not believe what they got away with during the Netherlands match. I really wanted England to win today.

I have to admit, I've really come to respect the french team.....I still hate most everything to do with France, but their futbal team is okay in my book. Henry is a class act and Zidane is just amazing. That other guy (looks like a horse) has worked his ARSE off the past two games, so I give him a lot of credit, too.

I wish that there was a team I hated in the final four, but there really isn't. I thought I could rely on france for that, lol....oh well....Here's too good matches!!

I have to admit, I've really come to respect the french team.....I still hate most everything to do with France, but their futbal team is okay in my book. Henry is a class act and Zidane is just amazing. That other guy (looks like a horse) has worked his ARSE off the past two games, so I give him a lot of credit, too.

I wish that there was a team I hated in the final four, but there really isn't. I thought I could rely on france for that, lol....oh well....Here's too good matches!!

717308[/snapback]

I can think of 3.

Germany... Hmm, won on Italian turf. Media bashing the wops. Acting like they won it already.

France... Hmm WC 98 defeat, Euro 2000 defeat, there is respect but there is more hatred.

Portugal... Don't even get me started on this.

I can think of 3. 

Germany... Hmm, won on Italian turf.  Media bashing the wops.  Acting like they won it already.

France... Hmm WC 98 defeat, Euro 2000 defeat, there is respect but there is more hatred.

Portugal...  Don't even get me started on this.

717311[/snapback]

I guess we are all in agreement: F**K Portugal.

I was in Northern Italy last year.  Let me tell you, the people could not have been nicer.  I would go back in a heart beat.

717301[/snapback]

Yeah, I know. Just busting balls.

Italy is kind of like the Miami Dolphins for me. There is no one specific reason I hate them, it's just become that over time.

I know nothing about soccer, but I helped out a 21 year old mexican worker that was on construction site I worked at. Ya he was illegal, but I was able to communicate with him in a spanish/english conversation. Anyway he was living in a tent near the work site, and at work he was a machine, and had a good attitude.

I offered him a room in my house, cheap rent and within a month he found his own place. Why he was at my house, I told him we have dtv and you can watch soccer, he turned it on we hooked him up with food and cervases and he was just like like any american football fan.

Coaching has been the achilies heal for three teams:

Peckerman - why would you play Tevez when you have Saviola and Messi. And Tevez is good, but I like the other two better. Why put Cruze on? Why take Riquelme off so early? Cambiasso should have started. Stick with a line up. Argentina was in control and those subs killed them. As well, the strike combination was not the one I would have picked. I really hoped Messi would start up front with Crespo.

Erikson - why put Crouch in the forward roll when your only chance was scoring on a fast break, and he is a holding player. He should have played a deeper role and put lennon up front. How many fast breaks did Crouch stop and hold the ball. If Lennon had received the ball in those situations, he would have created scoring opportunities. The "Theo" decision really could not have worked out worst for him. They need speed up front when downt to ten men, not Crouch. Nice to see the Canuck - Hargreaves get the man of the match award.

Parriera - why give an over confident team a chance to become even more over confident by beating up on a bunch of german Div 4 teams 13-1 as warm up matches. This team was clearly not mentally ready. Every player was watching too many "soga bonita" commericials and thought they had to dribble through 3 players before passing the ball. the hallmark of Brazil soccer is one touch soccer and swift attacking movements, which the didn't demonstrate once in this tournament. Ronaldinho (who I love) is trying to take on three players in midfield. Poor. Again, players need to gel, stick with a line up. You've had 4 years to figure out your line up and then start changing it after 3 games???

Well, as long as Germany doesn't win, I'll be happy. Congrats to the French and Portugees.

Peckerman - why would you play Tevez when you have Saviola and Messi. And Tevez is good, but I like the other two better. Why put Cruze on? Why take Riquelme off so early? Cambiasso should have started. Stick with a line up. Argentina was in control and those subs killed them. As well, the strike combination was not the one I would have picked. I really hoped Messi would start up front with Crespo.

Because he got scared.  He pulled in my mind a "Trappatoni".  Go up 1-0 and play defence.  Expecting Germany not to pull off the tie on home turf is suicide.  I sincerely hope that Lippi sticks to an attacking squad.  Put the knife in the heart of the Germans.  I'd like to add that Germany has never beat Italy in WC history. :rolleyes:

Erikson - why put Crouch in the forward roll when your only chance was scoring on a fast break, and he is a holding player. He should have played a deeper role and put lennon up front. How many fast breaks did Crouch stop and hold the ball. If Lennon had received the ball in those situations, he would have created scoring opportunities.  The "Theo" decision really could not have worked out worst for him. They need speed up front when downt to ten men, not Crouch. Nice to see the Canuck - Hargreaves get the man of the match award.

What surprises me the most is that England has only two top quality strikers. Owen and Rooney. They really need to work on the development on that part of the field. With a strong midfield they should be scoring insanely. Erikson has failed and he will be gone.

Parriera - why give an over confident team a chance to become even more over confident by beating up on a bunch of german Div 4 teams 13-1 as warm up matches. This team was clearly not mentally ready. Every player was watching too many "soga bonita" commericials and thought they had to dribble through 3 players before passing the ball. the hallmark of Brazil soccer is one touch soccer and swift attacking movements, which the didn't demonstrate once in this tournament. Ronaldinho (who I love) is trying to take on three players in midfield. Poor. Again, players need to gel, stick with a line up. You've had 4 years to figure out your line up and then start changing it after 3 games???

Well, as long as Germany doesn't win, I'll be happy. Congrats to the French and Portugees.

717327[/snapback]

No. Definately not. Although I thought that Brazil would eventually learn how to gel, I didn't really watch many of their games. Their wingers are old, Cafu and Roberto Carlos. Emerson had a so-so year with Juventus. Ronaldhino has wayyyy too much spotlight on him. The only consistent players on Brazil IMHO were Adriano and Ronaldo.

Yes a tough class assembled of Algerians, Senegalise and other former French colonies.  :pirate:  :rolleyes:

France will decimate Portugal.  Zidane is and always will be one of the greatest players to step on a pitch.

717293[/snapback]

Yep, as far as I'm concerned, Zidane is up there with Maradona and Pele. He was unbelievable against Brazil.

Erikson - why put Crouch in the forward roll when your only chance was scoring on a fast break, and he is a holding player. He should have played a deeper role and put lennon up front. How many fast breaks did Crouch stop and hold the ball. If Lennon had received the ball in those situations, he would have created scoring opportunities.  The "Theo" decision really could not have worked out worst for him. They need speed up front when downt to ten men, not Crouch. Nice to see the Canuck - Hargreaves get the man of the match award.

717327[/snapback]

Exactly. Argentina were the better team but lost because their coach was gutless. He set up to hold out for a 1-0 win and had no plan B to fall back on if Germany equalized. Messi could have caused havok in the German defence in extra time, but the idiot had already used all of his substitutes.

What surprises me the most is that England has only two top quality strikers.  Owen and Rooney.  They really need to work on the development on that part of the field.  With a strong midfield they should be scoring insanely.  Erikson has failed and he will be gone.

No.  Definately not.  Although I thought that Brazil would eventually learn how to gel, I didn't really watch many of their games.  Their wingers are old, Cafu and Roberto Carlos.  Emerson had a so-so year with Juventus.  Ronaldhino has wayyyy too much spotlight on him.  The only consistent players on Brazil IMHO were Adriano and Ronaldo.

717329[/snapback]

I'm not sure I'm convinced of the "quality" of the England midfield. Sure, it has a huge reputation, but no real play maker, no creativity. All the players do well for their club sides but really, I can't remember one memorable pass, play or movement from the English midfield.

Brazil won the confederations cup one year ago. The team has quality players. What was different from 4 years ago, IMHO, was coaching. Rono deserves the credit he gets, but this world cup, he was forcing the issue way too much. It's almost like Brazil thought, we show up, we'll win. It was a shame to see them go out this way, because I thought they could do much better. I did not pick Brazil to win, because of an old rule I generally follow in that when Nike starts to support you, you've already hit your peak and are generally on the way down (at least in Soccer). And I thought they would really have a difficult time repeating.

Exactly. Argentina were the better team but lost because their coach was gutless. He set up to hold out for a 1-0 win and had no plan B to fall back on if Germany equalized. Messi could have caused havok in the German defence in extra time, but the idiot had already used all of his substitutes.

717334[/snapback]

yes, the team played negative soccer after their goal, even though they were in good control of the match. Taking Crespo, Riquelme off and never seeing Messi or Saviola in that match was an injustice to all of Argentina.

And I never really thought Riquelme lived up to expectations outside of the first match against Ivory Coast and maybe S&M. He was good but never really lived up to his "10" stature. And as many predicted, Arg would go as far he would take them, and he did not have an exceptional game against the Germans.

But the Germans did very little to deserve the win, and I thought the refs helped them by not giving a penalty on a clear penalty against Maxi Rodriguez.

But the Germans did very little to deserve the win, and I thought the refs helped them by not giving a penalty on a clear penalty against Maxi Rodriguez.

717341[/snapback]

You think the refs are going to award a penalty shot against the hosts in extra time in the quarter finals. There is a better chance of Alaska Darin watching 90 minutes of soccer than that ever happening.

I love it when you guys offer up some sort of analysis about the matches and players, cause you're obviously a lot more familiar with them than I am. I can watch these matches and give my take on what I see, but a lot of these players I'm only just seeing for the first time. It really gets me fired up to make sure I do a better job of following the euro leagues and developments from this point on, cause I think the tools to do so (Fox soccer channel, more internet sites, etc).

I have to say that I'm really disappointed in Ronaldinho.....Including the champions league final, I've seen him play like six or seven matches, and have yet to see him do much of ANYTHING. I saw ronaldo have an impact against ghana....I saw Adriano have a pretty good series of matches....I saw ze roberto with some very solid play.....but where is the SUPERSTAR? I'm not meaning to hack on him, but great players are supposed to shine at the most crucial times. That's why I'm so fond of Thierry Henry....every time I get to see the guy play - EVERY time - he's money. I haven't seen a lot of Zidane, but here's a guy about to retire, and where is he? He's all OVER the place, brilliantly directing his side during the match and serving up beautifully to Henry. I just really wanted to see ronaldhino do something that made me say, "wow......"

As it turns out, though, there has been a player that has made me feel that way.......and for those of you who aren't much into the Germans, I got TW WORDS FOR YA!!!!!!!!

MIROSLAV KLOSE!!!!!!! 2006 World Cup MVP!!!!!

:rolleyes::pirate::)

I love it when you guys offer up some sort of analysis about the matches and players, cause you're obviously a lot more familiar with them than I am. I can watch these matches and give my take on what I see, but a lot of these players I'm only just seeing for the first time. It really gets me fired up to make sure I do a better job of following the euro leagues and developments from this point on, cause I think the tools to do so (Fox soccer channel, more internet sites, etc).

I have to say that I'm really disappointed in Ronaldinho.....Including the champions league final, I've seen him play like six or seven matches, and have yet to see him do much of ANYTHING. I saw ronaldo have an impact against ghana....I saw Adriano have a pretty good series of matches....I saw ze roberto with some very solid play.....but where is the SUPERSTAR? I'm not meaning to hack on him, but great players are supposed to shine at the most crucial times. That's why I'm so fond of Thierry Henry....every time I get to see the guy play - EVERY time - he's money. I haven't seen a lot of Zidane, but here's a guy about to retire, and where is he? He's all OVER the place, brilliantly directing his side during the match and serving up beautifully to Henry. I just really wanted to see ronaldhino do something that made me say, "wow......"

As it turns out, though, there has been a player that has made me feel that way.......and for those of you who aren't much into the Germans, I got TW WORDS FOR YA!!!!!!!!

MIROSLAV KLOSE!!!!!!!  2006 World Cup MVP!!!!! 

:rolleyes:  :pirate:  :)

717346[/snapback]

About Ronaldhino. Ronaldhino had the spotlight on him for the entire tournament. He felt the pressure and cracked. He was double, triple teamed by every team he faced. That is why guys like Adriano and Ronaldo shined. Because the defence was concentrating on Ronaldhino.

Adriano is a superstar. He's always on the money and always scores. Ronaldo never became the player he was supposed to. He broke his knee in 1998 and since then has lost a lot of his speed. Even though, he is still the all time scorer of all time in WC history.

I think the impact of losing will affect me more than it affects you. I fear the home field advantage will be too much. (sigh)

I think the impact of losing will affect me more than it affects you.  I fear the home field advantage will be too much. (sigh)

717348[/snapback]

lol, I figured you'd resort back to the cautious, humble approach again soon.....that seems to have worked well for you thus far, so I was surprised when you started touting Brazil v. Italy :pirate:

There are two things I think are definitely going to happen on Tuesday.....

1) Italy will NOT shut us out.....no way. The Ukranians had some good looks in the first half of that game, and they had a few bad bounces that could have easily been goals. Germany won't be denied.

2) If Klose doesn't get you, you'll get "Fring-ered" BWAH HA HA HA HA :rolleyes:

And yeah, there's no doubt you are much more emotionally tied into the Italians than I am the Germans or the Americans. I want to see great soccer, and so far - with one or two exceptions - this WC has been great.....I've enjoyed the hell out of it, and while I'll be happy if the germans win, I really just want to see some great matches.

lol, I figured you'd resort back to the cautious, humble approach again soon.....that seems to have worked well for you thus far, so I was surprised when you started touting Brazil v. Italy  :pirate:   

There are two things I think are definitely going to happen on Tuesday.....

1) Italy will NOT shut us out.....no way. The Ukranians had some good looks in the first half of that game, and they had a few bad bounces that could have easily been goals. Germany won't be denied.

2) If Klose doesn't get you, you'll get "Fring-ered"  BWAH HA HA HA HA  :rolleyes:

And yeah, there's no doubt you are much more emotionally tied into the Italians than I am the Germans or the Americans. I want to see great soccer, and so far - with one or two exceptions - this WC has been great.....I've enjoyed the hell out of it, and while I'll be happy if the germans win, I really just want to see some great matches.

717355[/snapback]

If Italy plays the way i think they will, the game will finish 0-0. Every team get's lucky bounces but remember that we are playing with out Alessandro Nesta, who is better than Cannavaro, who has been the best player of the tournament. Yet Nesta should be there Tuesday.

Anyways, I think the game will finish 0-0. Lippi will be scared to give up space and work only on the counterattack. 1 striker, 1 attacking mid (totti) and just strong midfielders and strong defenders.

My prediction, it will go to penalties, and Buffon will show why he is the highest paid keeper in the world.

If Italy plays the way i think they will, the game will finish 0-0.  Every team get's lucky bounces but remember that we are playing with out Alessandro Nesta, who is better than Cannavaro, who has been the best player of the tournament.  Yet Nesta should be there Tuesday. 

Anyways, I think the game will finish 0-0.  Lippi will be scared to give up space and work only on the counterattack.  1 striker, 1 attacking mid (totti) and just strong midfielders and strong defenders. 

My prediction, it will go to penalties, and Buffon will show why he is the highest paid keeper in the world.

717357[/snapback]

Well if it does go to PKs, I just hope Lehmann has his little cheat sheet!!

On Ronaldhino

He was asked to play a different role, Kaka was supposed to be the main attacking creative threat. Brazil were undone by a combination of aa stupily talented but stupidly unfit striker and a dodgey defence whenever anyone got at them.

On England's midfield

It is a mess despite some real quality because Sven made some poor decisions. Lampard and Gerrard when combined are half the players they are because neither is asked to play the role he plays for his club. And neither like the 4-5-1. Also Beckham has lost what speed he had and now can not get any room to make those wonderful crosses of his.

England really do need to play a 4-4-2 with the midfield of J Cole, Hargreaves, Gerrard and Lennon on the right. Of course Beckham was Sven' s untouchable (like Ronaldo for Brazil) so Lennon did not get to play much. Gerrard may be the best attacking midfielder in the game, when not shackled by being asked to play a holding role or in the wrong formation, that is. Lampard is not far behind in talent.

Cole would also play in that role normally but is so skillful he slots in to the left reasonably well. He had some pretty good games.

As for strikers Rooney and Crouch would be the strikers to create opportunities. Owen, Defoe and Bent are the good strikers that England have that can fit in the goalscoring role. Of course Sven took only three of these with him and England ended up going home largely as a result.

England does have a talented (and deep) pool of players available, just Sven lost his way. Such is life.

I'm not sure I'm convinced of the "quality" of the England midfield. Sure, it has a huge reputation, but no real play maker, no creativity. All the players do well for their club sides but really, I can't remember one memorable pass, play or movement from the English midfield.

717340[/snapback]

There were some pretty nice passes (and J Cole's goal was a thing of beauty). Unfortunately England did not play with enough width (with the right side being manned by the lumbering Beckham and J Cole's lack of real speed on the left this is not too surprising). Gerrard, Cole, Lampard are all superb, skilled, attacking footballers. But they need to be playing in a system that makes sense, not a bodge job trying to fit square pegs into round holes.

717327[/snapback]

In a 4-5-1 (or more accurately 4-4-1 in Crouch's case yesterday) the idea is that the midifled supports the lone striker who holds up the ball for them to run onto and attack. Crouch did this very well with Lennon charging up in support. (ie: it was SUPPOSED to work like that).

Rooney did not do this, largely because for the most part when he was on the field the midfielders did not run up and support him well at all. As a result the defenders had all the time in the world to isolate and frustrate Roooney (who then lashed out at one inexcusably).

If Lennon had been in Crouch's position and tried to do what you suggest he too would have been isolated without support (as no one else had the speed to support him) and would have been dealt with just as effectively as Rooney was.

Kuntz.

(or possibly Maradona, but I may be a little biased..... :rolleyes: )

717400[/snapback]

:pirate:

Rooney did not do this, largely because for the most part when he was on the field the midfielders did not run up and support him well at all. As a result the defenders had all the time in the world to isolate and frustrate Roooney (who then lashed out at one inexcusably).

717399[/snapback]

Looks like Rooney does a lot of 'inexcusable' things.....

CHILL OUT ROONEY