*World Cup Game Thread*

ajzepp

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for demeaning the sport  :rolleyes:

712598[/snapback]

I have a question about the US for you soccer buffs. To me, between watching some other games, and watching the US, i seemed to notice that the US has a lot of trouble moving the ball in traffic. bad passes, long passes, intercepted/blocked passes. other betters dont have this problem, or it isnt as evident. am i correct, and if so how does a country go about fixing that? acquire better talent?

I have a question about the US for you soccer buffs. To me, between watching some other games, and watching the US, i seemed to notice that the US has a lot of trouble moving the ball in traffic. bad passes, long passes, intercepted/blocked passes. other betters dont have this problem, or it isnt as evident. am i correct, and if so how does a country go about fixing that? acquire better talent?

712607[/snapback]

It's all about the midfield. You could have the best forward in the world but if the ball doesn't cross through the midfield properly, chances are you will not win the game. That is the problem with the Italians, they have one of the most mediocre midfields in the world (for a top 8 team), and rarely are they able to pass the ball through it. We manage to win because our defence and set plays make up for it.

For US to be successful, you need players to get experience in the European leagues. That comes with time more than anything. Before 1998, I didn't know one US player. Now I know several. They aren't very good, but better than who was there in 94 which is a plus. Eventually, if American players start playing for teams in Italy, France, Spain and England, as well as the German league to an extent, they will get better.

Look at Ghana, they have 3 or 4 players who are starters in Europe. It's not a long time that this is the case though.

Although I'm not a big fan of Brazil, they are fun to watch.  They seem to be having fun while they play which I can't say from watching the US team this year at the World Cup.

712641[/snapback]

It is tough to have fun when you are getting your sorry ass kicked by the entire world.

It is tough to have fun when you are getting your sorry ass kicked by the entire world.

712656[/snapback]

US has been in the world cup finals for a very short time. Did you actually expect to dominate and pass a group with two powerhouses. It is a very difficult tournament.

Take it this way, US needs to bring in a foreign coach who can implement a system, sort of like Paraguay did by getting Cesare Prandelli.

It's all about the midfield.  You could have the best forward in the world but if the ball doesn't cross through the midfield properly, chances are you will not win the game.  That is the problem with the Italians, they have one of the most mediocre midfields in the world (for a top 8 team), and rarely are they able to pass the ball through it.  We manage to win because our defence and set plays make up for it.

For US to be successful, you need players to get experience in the European leagues.  That comes with time more than anything.  Before 1998, I didn't know one US player.  Now I know several.  They aren't very good, but better than who was there in 94 which is a plus.  Eventually, if American players start playing for teams in Italy, France, Spain and England, as well as the German league to an extent, they will get better. 

Look at Ghana, they have 3 or 4 players who are starters in Europe.  It's not a long time that this is the case though.

712609[/snapback]

just like on the fooseball table

712607[/snapback]

You're pretty much correct.

Another very subtle thing to note: the teams the US played collected VASTLY more offsides penalties than the US did. At first, I thought that was just a statistical oddity. But now I think it's a reflection of the lack of aggressive play of the US team, particularly compared with the rest of the world.

You're pretty much correct.

Another very subtle thing to note: the teams the US played collected VASTLY more offsides penalties than the US did.  At first, I thought that was just a statistical oddity.  But now I think it's a reflection of the lack of aggressive play of the US team, particularly compared with the rest of the world.

712667[/snapback]

Not necessarily. I didn't see the game so I can't really comment on how US played, but offsides depend on the type of forward more than the aggresiveness of the team. Some forwards overpower the defender, while others try and beat the offside trap. US doesnt' seem like a team that has a speedy forward that could beat the offside trap.

US has been in the world cup finals for a very short time.  Did you actually expect to dominate and pass a group with two powerhouses.  It is a very difficult tournament.

Take it this way, US needs to bring in a foreign coach who can implement a system, sort of like Paraguay did by getting Cesare Prandelli.

712658[/snapback]

I am not buying your argument on needing more time

US Soccer was founded in 1913 (93 years ago) and reached the quarter final in 1930 (73 years ago).

In the time that US Soccer has been around and competing in the World Cup we have:

-Seen the rise of Commercial Aviation

-Seen the invention of the Personal Computer

-Found cures for diseases like Polio and Small Pox

-Landed on the Moon

The list goes on but I can only imagine what else will be accomplished before the US Soccer Team stops sucking.

I am not buying your argument on needing more time

US Soccer was founded in 1913 (93 years ago) and reached the quarter final in 1930 (73 years ago).

In the time that US Soccer has been around and competing in the World Cup we have:

-Seen the rise of Commercial Aviation

-Seen the invention of the Personal Computer

-Found cures for diseases like Polio and Small Pox

-Landed on the Moon

The list goes on but I can only imagine what else will be accomplished before the US Soccer Team stops sucking.

712674[/snapback]

Well I wasn't around before 81 so I can't really tell you about the development on the league.

There are only two ways to be competitive in international soccer.

1) Develop a competitive league on par with the Euro leagues so the players can actually get better.

2) Develop some players that can play in Europe for the big clubs.

I'd say the latter is the easier solution, but, the fact that most of the talented Americans go into other sports, it could take a very long time.

Well I wasn't around before 81 so I can't really tell you about the development on the league. 

There are only two ways to be competitive in international soccer.

1)  Develop a competitive league on par with the Euro leagues so the players can actually get better.

2)  Develop some players that can play in Europe for the big clubs. 

I'd say the latter is the easier solution, but, the fact that most of the talented Americans go into other sports, it could take a very long time.

712686[/snapback]

Or we can just fold the team and stop getting embarrased by the rest of the world.

Or we can just fold the team and stop getting embarrased by the rest of the world.

712699[/snapback]

Maybe. Seems that there is a somewhat small following of soccer in the US. If they keep bringing back a team, it means there must be some money to be made.

Maybe.  Seems that there is a somewhat small following of soccer in the US.  If they keep bringing back a team, it means there must be some money to be made.

712702[/snapback]

That is an interesting point my friend. I would love to see U.S. Soccer open up the books. I have to assume that they are receiving a pretty hefty government subsidy. I'd like to see if they are operating in the black or not.

great quote by my girl today watching the game (she also watched most fo the italy game)

"Does the USA play dirty? Because everytime i see 2 players run into each other, the other team always falls down and gets hurt, but the US never does"

And that my friends, along with match fixing, is why soccer will never catch on fully in the US. A bunch of pussies running around on the field. until they play like men, i refuse to respect the majority of the soccer world.

712453[/snapback]

I agree with this. Every time some guy gets tripped, he rolls around on the field as though he'd been shot. Gimmie a break. Guys are being carried off practically every game on stretchers -- STRETCHERS??? It's SOCCER!!!