Hotel Issue

30dive

My daughter has a swim meet in Northern Virginia this past weekend. So we stayed at the team hotel, the Fair Oaks Marroit. Her warm up time on Saturday morning is 6am with a wake up call at 5am. So at 10:00 she is hitting the sack. At about that time the wedding party below us is getting pretty loud and because our room faces the courtyard we can hear every drum beat and "woop". At 10:30 I went to the front desk to see how long we will be entertained by the music downstairs, and see if maybe they could move us to a room less effected. I inqure as to the party's end time and the front desk tells me the cut off is 11pm. So I tell them fine, only another half hour we will be OK, with that. So 11 passes, and the music is actually getting louder, 11:30 passes, still the music and the yelling, 11:50 I deside to call, still being pretty reasonable, hell these folks probably planned this wedding for a year, and I understand they want to have a nice time. But the desk keeps telling me that it will be over soon. At 1:10am the music stopped. The next morning, or should I say later that morning we went the swim meet. When we returned to the hotel I spoke with the Manager, and asked if there was anything like the night before scheduled for tonight. He assured me that there was not. I really thought I had been more than fair, but I still was not happy with the misinformation I got from the desk the night before.

So now I find out that a number of people who went to the front desk and screamed got a $50.00 credit on there bill. However the guy (me) who was understanding got his bill in full.

OK those of you who use hotels everyday, should I fire off a letter or make an ulgy call to get some relief?

perhaps you should contact the hotel headquarters and insist that the next time you stay at one of thier establishments, you want a big plate of cheese to go with your w(h)ine :P:) , its a hotel, its a wedding party, hell I would have gone down to join in the fun

My daughter has a swim meet in Northern Virginia this past weekend.  So we stayed at the team hotel, the Fair Oaks Marroit.  Her warm up time on Saturday morning is 6am with a wake up call at 5am.  So at 10:00 she is hitting the sack.  At about that time the wedding party below us is getting pretty loud and because our room faces the courtyard we can hear every drum beat and "woop".  At 10:30 I went  to the front desk to see how long we will be entertained by the music downstairs, and see if maybe they could move us to a room less effected.  I inqure as to the party's end time and the front desk tells me the cut off is 11pm.  So I tell them fine, only another half hour we will be OK, with that.  So 11 passes, and the music is actually getting louder, 11:30 passes, still the music and the yelling, 11:50 I deside to call, still being pretty reasonable, hell these folks probably planned this wedding for a year, and I understand they want to have a nice time.  But the desk keeps telling me that it will be over soon.  At 1:10am the music stopped.  The next morning, or should I say later that morning we went the swim meet.  When we returned to the hotel I spoke with the Manager, and asked if there was anything like the night before scheduled for tonight.  He assured me that there was not.  I really thought I had been more than fair, but I still was not happy with the misinformation I got from the desk the night before. 

So now I find out that a number of people who went to the front desk and screamed got a $50.00 credit on there bill.  However the guy (me) who was understanding got his bill in full. 

OK those of you who use hotels everyday, should I fire off a letter or make an ulgy call to get some relief?

703284[/snapback]

Call the corporate office and complain.

Marriots "Contact Us" page

Tell them that basically the manager of the hotel did nothing to quiet down the group that was supposed to vacate by 11pm like he promised, and that other people that complained got money taken off their bill, but you did not. See if they'll give you the entire amount back.

I've been able to get my room moved with no problems when they've put me right in the middle of a young tour group before, who were being extremly loud at 10pm at night, and their chaperones were not doing anything to quiet the kids down. I've also recieved 7,000 points from Sheraton on my Preferred Guest account when I had booked a room with them and they overbooked the hotel. Even though they put me up in a Hilton, it was not in the area, and caused some disruptions to my travel plans.

Thanks Jack!

Oh and Pooj......I really think my problem was that I did not whine enough! And most likely would have "crashed" the party had I not had my 11 year old daughter with me. :P

My daughter has a swim meet in Northern Virginia this past weekend.  So we stayed at the team hotel, the Fair Oaks Marroit.  Her warm up time on Saturday morning is 6am with a wake up call at 5am.  So at 10:00 she is hitting the sack.  At about that time the wedding party below us is getting pretty loud and because our room faces the courtyard we can hear every drum beat and "woop".  At 10:30 I went  to the front desk to see how long we will be entertained by the music downstairs, and see if maybe they could move us to a room less effected.  I inqure as to the party's end time and the front desk tells me the cut off is 11pm.  So I tell them fine, only another half hour we will be OK, with that.  So 11 passes, and the music is actually getting louder, 11:30 passes, still the music and the yelling, 11:50 I deside to call, still being pretty reasonable, hell these folks probably planned this wedding for a year, and I understand they want to have a nice time.  But the desk keeps telling me that it will be over soon.  At 1:10am the music stopped.  The next morning, or should I say later that morning we went the swim meet.  When we returned to the hotel I spoke with the Manager, and asked if there was anything like the night before scheduled for tonight.  He assured me that there was not.  I really thought I had been more than fair, but I still was not happy with the misinformation I got from the desk the night before. 

So now I find out that a number of people who went to the front desk and screamed got a $50.00 credit on there bill.  However the guy (me) who was understanding got his bill in full. 

703284[/snapback]

Let it go.

Don't join the infant crowd that feels they are the most precious beings on the planet, never never bothered a soul, nor did their precious kids ever do same, and if a hiccup occurs, scream that somebody must pay.

Unless you and yours have lived the blameless life..but I am all for ire against the self-absorbed people with loud, musical cell phone ring tones. What noisy pests they are.. :P

:)

Write a letter to the hotel's GM and his corporate office. Most hotels have a 11pm quiet time policy. I'm not sure about Virginia, but the laws in South Carolina benefit the hotel owners. In SC they can collect a 7 night hotel stay, kick you out the first night, and keep the deposit for the other 6 nights. I see this law abused a lot here in myrtle beach. Especially to kids under 21.

Good luck.

Let it go.

Don't join the infant crowd that feels they are the most precious beings on the planet, never never bothered a soul, nor did their precious kids ever do same, and if a hiccup occurs, scream that somebody must pay.

703308[/snapback]

That is pure bull sh--.

An agreement was made and money was exchanged. One party did not fulfill their obligation, yet took the money in full. His entire room should be comp'ed and an apology extended.

That is pure bull sh--.

An agreement was made and money was exchanged. One party did not fulfill their obligation, yet took the money in full.  His entire room should be comp'ed and an apology extended.

703324[/snapback]

What obligation was not fulfilled? Why should the room be comped? When you sleep with hundreds of other people you are subject to their noise. Next time don't call the front desk, call security. They would have quited that party. I worked in hotels for years and security lives for that stuff.

Let it go.

This is America, land of the free and the rest of that good stuff. However, we are a society, and your rights end where my rights begin. The dude paid good money to get a restful nights sleep. He isn't looking for something for nothing, he just wants what he paid for.

What obligation was not fulfilled?  Why should the room be comped?  When you sleep with hundreds of other people you are subject to their noise.  Next time don't call the front desk, call security.  They would have quited that party.  I worked in hotels for years and security lives for that stuff.

703327[/snapback]

The obligation to provide a reasonable atmosphere to allow their guests to sleep during typical sleeping hours. The noise did not come from a few inconsiderate guests - it came from a hotel sponsored function. They took the wedding party's money and allowed them to party all night. They took 30dive's money and promised a reasonable sleeping environment. One is in conflict with the other.

When approached about changing locations - they either straight out lied to him or were negligent in enforcing their own rules.

Regardless, they did not provide the service he paid for and when approached with a enough time to rectify the situation, they refused to act appropriately (by either moving 30dive or ending the reception on time). To me - that is a comp'ed room if they ever expect to see me as a guest again.

I have now called and emailed them. I am waiting for a response on both ends. I considered just letting it go as some have suggested, however, as I was in fact willing to move to another room, but I really have a problem with they're not enforcing there own rules. I have to think that the people holding the party paid for a certain amount of time, which by the information I was given was until 11pm. If they paid for more time then the hotel was not truthful with me. I also have a problem with the fact that I evidently needed to be an ass in order to get some relief.

I have now called and emailed them.  I am waiting for a response on both ends.  I considered just letting it go as some have suggested, however, as I was in fact willing to move to another room, but I really have a problem with they're not enforcing there own rules.  I have to think that the people holding the party paid for a certain amount of time, which by the information I was given was until 11pm.  If they paid for more time then the hotel was not truthful with me.  I also have a problem with the fact that I evidently needed to be an ass in order to get some relief.

703336[/snapback]

you are in the right. you did everything that could be expected to be accomodating to your family, the hotel, and the other guests. The hotel profited off of everyone involved, yet didn't provide the agreed upon service to you. Get your money back and you SHOULD get every last cent back considering you did your best to make it right, despite being very inconvenient to you.

The obligation to provide a reasonable atmosphere to allow their guests to sleep during typical sleeping hours. The noise did not come from a few inconsiderate guests - it came from a hotel sponsored function.  They took the wedding party's money and allowed them to party all night.  They took 30dive's money and promised a reasonable sleeping environment. One is in conflict with the other.

When approached about changing locations - they either straight out lied to him or were negligent in enforcing their own rules.

Regardless, they did not provide the service he paid for and when approached with a enough time to rectify the situation, they refused to act appropriately (by either moving 30dive or ending the reception on time). To me - that is a comp'ed room if they ever expect to see me as a guest again.

703332[/snapback]

Hmm, I didn't know hotels provided a guaranteed restful sleep. What do you pay for in a hotel? A room, a bed a TV a shower and a toilet. He said his room faced the courtyard. Were his windows open? I don't know. What if the hotel was completely booked, where are they going to move him? You stay at a hotel with baquet rooms that face a courtyard noisy parties come with the territory. Everything is life is not guaranteed. I'm not saying the hotel handled it the best way but once again when you stay in a hotel with hundreds of other people you have to deal with this stuff. Call security next time.

Hmm, I didn't know hotels provided a guaranteed restful sleep.  What do you pay for in a hotel?  A room, a bed a TV a shower and a toilet.  He said his room faced the courtyard.  Were his windows open?  I don't know.  What if the hotel was completely booked, where are they going to move him?  You stay at a hotel with baquet rooms that face a courtyard noisy parties come with the territory.  Everything is life is not guaranteed.  I'm not saying the hotel handled it the best way but once again when you stay in a hotel with hundreds of other people you have to deal with this stuff.  Call security next time.

703348[/snapback]

So you're saying he has no right to B word? That's all he's doing here. He's not taking them to court, he's not threatening them with anything, he's just documenting an unsatisfactory situation that ruder customers were compensated for. He wasn't even told that the hotel was full when he offered to switch rooms, just an excuse/guarantee that the party would end soon (is that something that security would have been able to handle for him?). Are you saying that the Marriott customer service philosophy of "Do whatever it takes to take care of the customer" only applies if you call security when the noise bothers you and/or you B word up a storm?

Windows don't open, safety. And the sound was coming through the floor.....Hell I feel bad for the folks on second floor..I was on the third.

Some of you are confusing me. There is no implied gaurantee that I will get an enviroment in which can get a restful night sleep? Boy their commercials certainly imply I will!

So you're saying he has no right to B word?  That's all he's doing here.  He's not taking them to court, he's not threatening them with anything, he's just documenting an unsatisfactory situation that ruder customers were compensated for.  He wasn't even told that the hotel was full when he offered to switch rooms, just an excuse/guarantee that the party would end soon (is that something that security would have been able to handle for him?).  Are you saying that the Marriott customer service philosophy of "Do whatever it takes to take care of the customer" only applies if you call security when the noise bothers you and/or you B word up a storm?

703354[/snapback]

What I'm saying is that, believe it or not, I was once young, and realized then as I DO now, that a wedding party gets rambunctious. I'm happy that they do.

I can't speak for Marriott, or to the words you have tried to put in my mouth.

So you're saying he has no right to B word?  That's all he's doing here.  He's not taking them to court, he's not threatening them with anything, he's just documenting an unsatisfactory situation that ruder customers were compensated for.  He wasn't even told that the hotel was full when he offered to switch rooms, just an excuse/guarantee that the party would end soon (is that something that security would have been able to handle for him?).  Are you saying that the Marriott customer service philosophy of "Do whatever it takes to take care of the customer" only applies if you call security when the noise bothers you and/or you B word up a storm?

703354[/snapback]

No, my respones with to Scott's saying he should demand a full refund. Of course he has the right to B word. Should they have tried to move him, sure. Should they have tried to quiet the party, sure. Should security have been called, sure. Were any of those things done? I don't know. What I'm saying is that when things don't go perfectly for people they demand their money back. But who deserves the best service? Someone who spent money for a room or someone who spent money for a once in a lifetime party? Was he lied to regarding the party ending soon? Probably not, the front desk was just trying to keep customers happy. Did the front desk handle it correctly? No. But if you want results go to the GM, be nice, just tell them what happened and you will probably get your money back without even having to ask.....let alone demand. I hate demanding people. :P