Around the NFL...

I am real real excited for the start of the season, for all the Q's turned to A's, naysayers to quiet, worshippers to humble. But something else i want to look at, is other teams and their first year starters. Phillip Rivers for instance, i wonder how he will do, and if the coaches their will take him out if he has a couple low passing yardage games. are they not "handing" him the starting position? If anybody could find message board topics on an issue similar to this, lemme know. I am trying to gauge the importance of the outcome of JP's run in the pro's. If possible ( so as to not have this be just another JP bash or praise thread) , try to bring an external example of this type of situation with your post, or at least a response to somebody else's.

EDIT: I know this is a fairly specific question but there seems to be some pretty damn knowledgable people on here so i thought i would try..

Phillip Rivers for instance, i wonder how he will do, and if the coaches their will take him out if he has a couple low passing yardage games. are they not "handing" him the starting position?

691113[/snapback]

It seems, just like with JP, they feel Rivers is ready to be the starting QB. They have AJ Feeley from Miami as theire backup plus rookie Charlie Whitehurst.

For a team that had a winning record but didn't make the playoffs after winning the AFC West the year before, it sems like a risk to have let Brees go as a free agent and give Rivers the starting QB position.

It seems, just like with JP, they feel Rivers is ready to be the starting QB.  They have AJ Feeley from Miami as theire backup plus rookie Charlie Whitehurst.

For a team that had a winning record but didn't make the playoffs after winning the AFC West the year before, it sems like a risk to have let Brees go as a free agent and give Rivers the starting QB position.

691285[/snapback]

well I will watch that situation closely( i live west coast so they roll chargers games all the time). It doesn't seem like head coaches do this sort of thing very often...

How long have you watched the NFL? You don't even have to use current players to conjure up an informed opinion.

History tells us that rookie QB's have a helluva time adjusting to the pro game. Montana, Elway, Kelly, Starr, Bradshaw, the list goes on and on.

They usually start to pick it up by their third year in the league.

Rivers will be tested as a starter. No doubt. Teams will put 8 in the box for LT and let him test out their secondary, forcing him to throw and change plays at the line. I, for one, think he has the smarts to do it, it's just the talent he has to work with that will get under him.

It'll be nearly impossible for another hook up like Peyton Manning -> Marvin Harrison or Jim Kelly -> Andre Reed, where they barely had to say anything, it was a mental connection... but I strongly believe that it could happen with Matt Leinart and Larry Fitzgerald. The height is astounding, and the skill is there too. Anquan Bolden, Matt Leinart, and Larry Fitz is the next French Connection (minus the whole hockey thing and the french thing)

Cutler, although he will not start this year, will bomb in the pros. I think he will be a good back up, no doubt, but to make him a franchise QB will be a huge mistake. Bash me all you want on that I think that he won't do diddly.

Don't get me started on J.P. Dying franchise that needs to win now doesn't need an "up and coming' QB that hasn't proved much.

Which brings me to Craig Nall...

Craig Nall IMO should be the starting QB this upcoming year. When you have Brett Favre as a mentor, you are built like a tank, and you can throw the long ball (I have my Long Ball Nall sign already made for chhris Berman), you are ready to give a starting job a shot. His stats for what little he's played are phenomenal, and I say we put faith in him.

I doubt Vince Young will start this year, but if McNair goes down in a hail of gun fire, then I believe Volek starts and Vince cleans up the losing season with a C+ grade.

I"m done...

That team had no way of avoiding risk. Brees is a risk because of the injury.

Rivers was drafted fourth overall, so the Chargers really have to put him on the field at some point to see what he can do. They've had the chance to watch Rivers in practice and the preseason. Most teams are competent enough to use these things to get at least some idea of how ready a guy is.

That team had no way of avoiding risk.  Brees is a risk because of the injury. 

Rivers was drafted fourth overall, so the Chargers really have to put him on the field at some point to see what he can do.  They've had the chance to watch Rivers in practice and the preseason.  Most teams are competent enough to use these things to get at least some idea of how ready a guy is.

692260[/snapback]

I was going to say the same thing wrt the Brees injury situation. In fact, I think NO put themselves in a MUCH greater risk position here. However, I expect Rivers to struggle quite a bit. We'll see. Sometimes a guy comes in after all that time and looks more poised (see: Pennington). He certainly does have a good target in Gates and a primo RB to start with, which sure don't hurt. I can't remember if they drafted any much-needed receiver help this draft. Google time...

Don't get me started on J.P.  Dying franchise that needs to win now doesn't need an "up and coming' QB that hasn't proved much.

Which brings me to Craig Nall...

Craig Nall IMO should be the starting QB this upcoming year.  When you have Brett Favre as a mentor, you are built like a tank, and you can throw the long ball (I have my Long Ball Nall sign already made for chhris Berman), you are ready to give a starting job a shot.  His stats for what little he's played are phenomenal, and I say we put faith in him.

691546[/snapback]

Ok, so Buffalo doesn't need an up and coming QB that hasn't proven much being JP, But Craig Nall (has he even started a game?) is the guy that should be the starter next year?????????

I don't have a problem with Craig Nall and don't mind the fact he could be the starter, but to say the team doesn't need an "Up and Coming" QB like JP and then praise Nall saying he should be the starter is completely contradicting yourself.

I won't even go into the Leinart vs. Cutler (cause I personanlly believe Cutler is going to be a better NFL QB) or that Vince Young won't start cause of McNair (who will not even be playing for the titans next year and is rumored to be on his way out to possibly baltimore)

How long have you watched the NFL?   You don't even have to use current players to conjure up an informed opinion. 

History tells us that rookie QB's have a helluva time adjusting to the pro game.   Montana, Elway, Kelly, Starr, Bradshaw, the list goes on and on.

They usually start to pick it up by their third year in the league.

691315[/snapback]

I am 23 years old and don't remember how elway, Bart, or bradshaw started their careers. I know many Qb's struggled, but were they "handed" the starting job? If JP should not have been "handed" the starting job, I need some clarification on stuff I was not aware of or alive for before I can "conjure" effectively.

I am 23 years old and don't remember how elway, Bart, or bradshaw started their careers. I know many Qb's struggled, but were they "handed" the starting job? If JP should not have been "handed" the starting job, I need some clarification on stuff I was not aware of or alive for before I can "conjure" effectively.

692330[/snapback]

There is financial and fan pressure to start 1st round qb's. The contract $$$, the cap.

Regarding Elway, Bradshaw, etc. you seem to be asking others to do research for you, that you can easily do yourself. Few people care to dance attendance...

There is financial and fan pressure to start 1st round qb's. The contract $$$, the cap.

Regarding Elway, Bradshaw, etc. you seem to be asking others to do research for you, that you can easily do yourself.  Few people care to dance attendance...

692336[/snapback]

ok, agreed nobody should do research for me. I suppose i was hoping sombody just "knew" the general answer to my question through prior personal inquiry. Thank you for giving me a direct response, they can be hard to come by.

ok, agreed nobody should do research for me. I suppose i was hoping sombody just "knew" the general answer to my question through prior personal inquiry. Thank you for giving me a direct response, they can be hard to come by.

692550[/snapback]

You are welcome. And you have my respect for being a man that considers the view of others, even though it is counter to one's own, and does not take offense.

A rare attribute, these days.

I don't know much about people being "handed" starting jobs, but in the entire history of the modern NFL, you can count on a woodshop teachers fingers the number of QB's who didn't struggle in their first year under center. Montana, Marino, maybe Esiason and Roethlisberger for 1/2 a season are the only ones I can think of off-hand. The other 1,479 stunk the joint up.

Cya

I'll mark this down as the first time a cow avatar warned me I was being led astray!  ;)

692644[/snapback]

the scary thing is, when you arent on an irrational anti-JP rant, i dont mind talking football with you at all. ;)

I don't know much about people being "handed" starting jobs, but in the entire history of the modern NFL, you can count on a woodshop teachers fingers the number of QB's who didn't struggle in their first year under center. Montana, Marino, maybe Esiason and Roethlisberger for 1/2 a season are the only ones I can think of off-hand. The other 1,479 stunk the joint up.

Cya

692620[/snapback]

agreed. i thought manning was pretty good his first season, despite indy's poor record. the offense was fairly productive, actually, and manning threw for a lot of yards and 26 tds (and 28 ints, of course ...). all in all, though, it was a pretty decent showing for a first year player.