Around the NFL...

I am 23 years old and don't remember how elway, Bart, or bradshaw started their careers. I know many Qb's struggled, but were they "handed" the starting job? If JP should not have been "handed" the starting job, I need some clarification on stuff I was not aware of or alive for before I can "conjure" effectively.

692330[/snapback]

I'm barely 10 years older than you are and I've watched plenty of games. The marquee names coming out of college always struggle in the NFL as QB's. History has proven this if you care to read up on it. A rookie at this position has yet to lead his team to a SB victory convincingly. Big Ben did what he was told and didn't make mistakes; so did Brady.

Beating 3 teams by a combined 9 points is hardly crushing your opponent. Both had stellar defenses that won it for them and in the Pats case a kicker who didn't miss on turf.

HOF quarterbacks will tell you it was very hard for them when they were green.

And when you're not on an irrational pro-JP rant, you're fun to talk football with too. :blink:

692722[/snapback]

never been on a pro-JP rant. Just think the kid needs to be given a real chance. If he blows it, we move along. I have no specific ties to JP other than wanting him to succeed.

But, if he looks like sh-- in the preseason and Nall looks real good, then start Nall. I think JP will win the battle.

if somehow holcomb ends up starting this season, the bills are going to be so !@#$ its not even funny.

I don't know much about people being "handed" starting jobs, but in the entire history of the modern NFL, you can count on a woodshop teachers fingers the number of QB's who didn't struggle in their first year under center. Montana, Marino, maybe Esiason and Roethlisberger for 1/2 a season are the only ones I can think of off-hand. The other 1,479 stunk the joint up.

Cya

692620[/snapback]

You forgot to include Brady in it....the 1st season he started games, he was good...and so was Drew Bledsoe, when he started as a rookie.....Others who excelled (but their team stunk) was Peyton Manning.

It seems, just like with JP, they feel Rivers is ready to be the starting QB.  They have AJ Feeley from Miami as theire backup plus rookie Charlie Whitehurst.

For a team that had a winning record but didn't make the playoffs after winning the AFC West the year before, it sems like a risk to have let Brees go as a free agent and give Rivers the starting QB position.

691285[/snapback]

I've heard, multiple times on Sirius Sat Radio's NFL channel, by several different sources, that Charlie Whitehurst has looked awesome in almost everything he has done since leaving Clemson. He isn't even 100% yet, and I've heard about 5 scouts / GM types / sources, what have you, that have all said that Whitehurst looks like he may be a Trent Green type of steal at QB.

How long have you watched the NFL?  You don't even have to use current players to conjure up an informed opinion. 

History tells us that rookie QB's have a helluva time adjusting to the pro game.  Montana, Elway, Kelly, Starr, Bradshaw, the list goes on and on.

They usually start to pick it up by their third year in the league.

691315[/snapback]

What the 49'ers did with Alex Smith last year was terrible to both he and the team. They should have worked on his mechanics and playbook before presnap reads. Throwing a kid in the deep end of the pool and telling him to swim is not effective.

That is why I keep going on about Craig Nall. He has had 4 years as a back up learning without starting too soon and developing bad habits.

Losman is still a year or 2 away so don't give up on him.

Craig Nall- The right man, at the right time, in the right situation.

if somehow holcomb ends up starting this season, the bills are going to be so !@#$ its not even funny.

If that happens, I bet Levy won't exactly be congratulating himself at having passed up both Leinart and Cutler.

That said, I see potential in Nall. During his year in NFL Europe, Nall passed for 2050 yards and 18 TDs. To put that into perspective, Kurt Warner had 50 more yards but three fewer TDs in his NFL Europe season. Not that every NFL Europe star goes on to become the next Kurt Warner. But it'll be nice to see what Nall does.

Last week was the first time I watched an NFL Europe game. The quality of play was a lot higher than what I'd expected.